PDA

View Full Version : Live draft date/time

[AK]The Beast
07-15-2004, 08:04 PM
As I mentioned in the invitation e-mail, I've currently got the draft scheduled for 3 PM EDT on Saturday 8/7. I know that's an odd time, but I wanted to pick something accessible to everyone, east and west coast alike. Is that good for everyone or should I change it to something else?

[AK]Hylander
07-15-2004, 08:10 PM
That's generally a very inconvenient time for a Saturday... but I'll try and make it if that is when we have to do it to accomodate the most people.

[AK]The Beast
07-15-2004, 08:27 PM
I thought that might be the case--you're probably not the only one, Hy. Let's get a few other suggestions; we can change the draft day/time very easily.

[AK]Hylander
07-15-2004, 08:39 PM
OK - A later evening time is more convenient for me (8PM EST or after), but lets do our best to make it as convenient for as many as we can because it will most likely be very difficult to make it convenient for everyone. Right now I don't have anything on my schedule for 8/7, so I would do my best to make time to be there.

Slaughter
07-15-2004, 09:22 PM
earlier is better for me.. though I can adjust appropriately.

[AK]The Beast
07-16-2004, 04:13 AM
No reason it has to be a weekend, either. BUt if we get 10 teams (likely), and 20 players per team, that's 200 players to draft--it could easily run 3-4 hours or more. Also, I subconsciously scheduled it for that Saturday because I've got another draft the following day for another league I'm in. We could do it a different weekend or early some weeknight (though that could prove difficult for those out west.)

[AK]Devil_Dog
07-18-2004, 10:31 AM
I gather that we will meet in Ventrilio to do the draft?

Slaughter
07-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Sounds good to me. :tongue:

[AK]Hylander
07-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Devil_Dog']I gather that we will meet in Ventrilio to do the draft?

Actually you do it online on Yahoo.. but yeah, we could all meet on Ventrilo to verbally assault one another and curse them when they draft the player you were going to pick next. ;)

[AK]Devil_Dog
07-18-2004, 04:45 PM
Hylander']Actually you do it online on Yahoo.. but yeah, we could all meet on Ventrilo to verbally assault one another and curse them when they draft the player you were going to pick next. ;)

I think it would enhance the experience some... ;)

Since we are going to be online for a while it would be great to talk back and forth, and yes, talk smack as well..... hehe...

[AK]The Beast
07-19-2004, 06:28 AM
Well, if that Saturday works but evening is better, I could probably bump it back to 6 or 7 PM Eastern...

[AK]The Beast
07-21-2004, 05:10 PM
I've made a change to the time...I bumped it back to 6:30 (still on Sat. 8/7). How does that work for everyone?

Slaughter
07-21-2004, 07:55 PM
works for me.

[AK]The Beast
08-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Bump--the live draft is still scheduled for 6:30 PM Eastern on this coming Saturday. Is this good for a majority of folks?

If it's not, I need to know soon so I can reschedule. I'd like to have it prior to Thursday the 12th--that's the kickoff to the preseason.

If this time works and you're in the minority who can't make it, you should go through and pre-rank your draft picks--you can participate in the live draft that way if you're not logged in. You should consider pre-ranking anyway--you'll only have 3 minutes for each pick, so when you're on the clock isnt the best time to do research.

[AK]Hylander
08-01-2004, 04:41 PM
As of right now, I'm a go for next Saturday at 6:30. :beer:

Slaughter
08-01-2004, 04:54 PM
I'm go for it.

[AK]The Beast
08-01-2004, 05:18 PM
And I think "Reid's Roman Helmets" (don't ask unless you're really sure you want to know) and "Troy Brown's Boyz" can make that time as well.

Slaughter
08-01-2004, 05:25 PM
I already get it. ;) ... Unless they mean Andy Reid.. ah crap.

[AK]The Beast
08-01-2004, 06:17 PM
He does mean Andy Reid...enjoy the mental image!

Slaughter
08-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Crap, it is what I thought! :tongue:

[AK]Devil_Dog
08-03-2004, 01:01 PM
6:30 pm is fine with me. :beer:

[AK]Choozoo
08-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Can't do it. So, the computer will choose automatically for me? (I've assigned player rankings)

[AK]Hylander
08-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Choozoo']Can't do it. So, the computer will choose automatically for me? (I've assigned player rankings)

If you ranked all the players.. the computer will pick the highest ranked player available - pending position availability.

For example.. lets say it is your pick and you have Joe QB ranked #16 and John RB ranked #17, but the QB position is already filled from a previous pick/ranking, it will skip the QB and pick the RB. So just make sure you double check your rankings and rank as many players manually as you can - otherwise it will pull from it's own "default" rankings - which are not the best by any means IMHO.

[AK]The Beast
08-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Hylander's got it right. The default rankings are based on last year's stats. I quoted this once before, but the manager of "Troy Brown's Boyz" put it best:

Because in yahoo's rankings some weight is given to last years stats, there are some guys who had halfway respectable seasons last year but will be lucky to be on a practice squad in september ranked in the top 150 (*cough* Doug Flutie, Troy Hambrick *cough*), and some high round rookies and legit younger guys buried way back in the rankings. Be sure to rank players as you see fit.

The other thing you can do with your rankings is block certain players entirely--for instance, a certain Philadelphia receiver upon whom I've wished various creative painful conditions shows up on my "block" list--my auto-picker won't choose him under any circumstances. Frankly, I've considered adding all of the division rivals of my favorite team to my block list, just to avoid being put in the awkward position of having to root for one of my hated rivals to have a good game.

Slaughter
08-03-2004, 11:26 PM
T.O. HATER!.. :tongue:

Him and McNabb will go a long way, I think.