Thread: Sins of a Solar Empire

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar

Sins of a Solar Empire

I picked up Sins of a Solar Empire over the weekend, and it's quite good. It's the modern day equivalent to Master of Orion, or the lesser known Imperium Galactica. Highly recommended for fans of the genre. The gameplay is massive and immersive. Multiplayer matches can range from a short skirmish battle, to epic campaigns that can take weeks in real time to complete. Luckily, multiplayer games have a save option.
    If anyone is playing it, let me know, and we can set up a multiplayer match; up to 10 players are supported.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Looks interesting. I'll probably pick this one up.

Ill take a look at this and see what I have left in the way of Best Buy gift cards

I've picked it up a few days ago. Still trying to work out the best way to grab nearby planets in the early game before the AI does while balancing having enough defenses in place to prevent when they field a fleet of planetary bombardment vessels..

If you guys have a night off from your WoW runs, and would like to set up a game, be sure to post, or PM. Beast and I will be over in the Company of Heroes ventrilo chat tonight.

Man, I've been reading the Sins forums and geesh, do those guys know the numbers n stats for just about everything about ship strengths/abilities and their effectiveness against each type of ship class. I'm still trying to figure out which capital ships I should be building at the early stages of the game, heh.

Didnt see your post about being in vent for this game till I got back from my evening class else I would have jumped in for a bit before I had to head out.

But I'm totally up for playing on some smaller maps to get my arse handed to me by something other then the AI.

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Am I correct in thinking that there is no singleplayer "campaign" with this game? I've been wanting to play another game like Homeworld for a while, but I'm more into singleplayer with RTS games.
    [AK]Abaddon

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

There's no campaign, but enough different scenarios to keep you busy for a long, long time. Think of it as real-time Civilization in space, not Company of Heroes.

Ab - Rumor is that a full single player campaign will be released in the next patch. The scenarios, while lacking cinematic cutscenes, pretty much stand on their own as mini-campaigns. And not to worry: the pacing really isn't as frantic as your typical RTS.

To you guys who are interested in multiplayer:
    if you're free let's meet up on ventrilo tomorrow (Thursday) night around 8 or 9pm est. Maybe we can start an epic war. I'm hoping for a turnout of 10+ people.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

I'm down. I'll be on at 8--an earlier start is best as games can get quite long.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Nice chart! I'm surprised the cap ship abilities take a hit vs. other cap ships--although 75% of the high levels of "Detonate Antimatter" is still pretty severe!

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Dunno if anyone's still playing this, but 1.05 came out the other day. Here's a change log:

Soon we'll be releasing the v1.05 update for Sins of a Solar Empire that should address many of the multiplayer issues some players have reported. This is a minor patch, however; more substantial updates will arrive with version 1.1.

v1.05 Changes:

• Fixed bug deallocating particle pool memory.
    • Fixed cargo ship related crash caused when loading a saved game.
    • Increased the maximum length of map description text. If the text is too long, it will no longer crash the game.
    • AI missions no longer continue if a human player has taken over for them.
    • AI controlled units will no longer still have AI-control if a human player has taken over for them.
    • Fixed crash when attempting to toggle the autocast state for an uncontrollable ship/planet module.
    • Fixed capturable resource mines from being considered damageable.
    • Fixed sync error in multiplayer games caused by cannon autocast targetting.
    • Fixed squad owner infocards to gracefully handle large numbers of squads (100+).
    • Fixed crash if you run out of video memory when loading textures.
    • Planet asteroid setup now uses TotalMaxResourcesAsteroids parameter again.
    • Added two new maps: Melting Point and Ancient Gifts.
    • ICO accounts will now be forced to logout if you attempt to login with the same account.
    • Malice changed to fix CPU issues in the late game due to previous implementation of the ability. Malice now accumulates damage on affected targets and then spreads that damage when the buff expires, rather than spreading damage as soon as damage is applied. Its duration, cooldown and AM cost have all been reduced to reflect this. Malice is now target capped as well at 8/16/24 targets.
    • Fixed bug in galaxy generator related to vertical planet offsets when planets are too close together.
    • New default texture quality settings set.
    (According to the readme that came with it, there are also two new maps.)

I still have it installed if anyone wants to get a game going sometime.