It all sounds good, but oh so unhealthy

O.k. Southern Folk = Good Fried Chicken....Just for you Nuts

3 eggs
    1 cup of your favorite hot sauce
    2 cups flour (seasoned if you wish)
    Chicken (strips or whole peices)
    Salt and pepper
    Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil

Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot.

In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange (about 1 cup). Season the chicken with Salt and pepper. Dip the Chicken in flour, then the egg wash, and then coat well in the flour again. Place the chicken in the preheated oil and fry until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer than white meat.

The trick Nuts is the first flour bath. It makes the egg mix turn into a glue like coating which holds the last flour bath nicely! Make sure your oil isn't too cool as well. After the chicken is fried never,never,never let it drain on paper towels! Use a cake cooling rack or something similar so the oil can actually fall away from the chicken.

Clay's dad loves this recipe and I like making it because it has so many fun layers that form while cooking.
    Lemon Pudding Cake
    2/3 c sugar
    1/4 c flour
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp nutmeg
    1 c low-fat buttermilk
    1 tsp lemon rind
    1/4 c lemon juice
    2 tblsp butter
    2 egg yolks
    3 egg whites
    1/4 c sugar
    1 1/2 c berries (Clay's dad loves it with blackberries)

combine first 4 ingredients in one bowl
    combine buttermilk and next 4 ingredients in another bowl stir
    add the flour mixture to the wet stuff

Now for the futzy part. For this to work you need to beat the egg whites like a merange. So add the egg whites get them nice and foamy then add the 1/4c sugar until stiff peaks form .

Add the egg white miture gently to the buttermilk mixture remembering not to stir too much so you don't lose all that air you whipped into the egg whites

Plop your berries into the mixture

Pour into a baking pan (8inch square) and place the pan in a bigger pan that has water in it up to about 1 inch. The water bath cooking is important so you get cake on the top and pudding on the bottom.

cook at 350 for 35 minutes

Serve WARM!!!
    adapted from Weight Watchers Cream of the Crop recipes

I have been meaning to try adapting this to a chocolate cherry type cake because I think that would be yummy too but I haven't experimented with that yet.

The worst problem I have is that often this little cake doesn't seem to make very much so I end up making more than 1.

Hey guys! I need some help/advice and with all the wonderful people posting on this tread it seems like the perfect place to look.

Today ends my second Master Cleanse detox fast and I've been gazing at cookboks for days. The one that has completely enthralled me contains amazing Chinese recipes, so the hubby and I are throwing a dinner party this friday based on its recipes. I'm having problems finding a few of the ingredients here in the wilds of Montana. So, does anyone have any ideas what I could substitute for Sechzewan Peppercorns, Black Bean chili sauce or fermented black beans? My only idea thus far is to use jazzed up black beans but I was just wondering if anyone had any more in-depth knowledge of Chinese cooking and could point me in a more specific direction.

Thanks bunches!!!
    Last edited by Etaoin; 04-15-2008 at 11:23 AM.
    "Try to walk a mile in a healer's sandals.
    That way, you'll be a mile ahead of them.
    And out of range for heals.
    And die.
    And blame it on them."
    ~Coreiel
    <WoW CM>

***Taking a small gaming break while I play the ultimate RTS...Parenthood***

Peppercorns You can order it... call and see if you can get next day.

Fermented Beans

Black Bean Sauce

Good luck!

Thanks for the links!!
    And die.
    And blame it on them."
    ~Coreiel
    <WoW CM>

Were you able to order those items? I've never bought food online before but I know the horror of having a recipe call for something that a) you don't have b) you don't know what it is and c) you don't know how to substitute.

Nuts,
    The only thing food items I have ordered online have been well nuts.
    I had black walnuts shipped to my house to make a black walnut pound cake and some black walnut divinity.

They were divine!

Oh I've also ordered large quantities of tea online and they too have been a big success.

I am currently going to order a service from a local organic garden that will have a couple of bags of whatever is in season and ripe delivered to my house. I'll order it online but it won't be shipped so I don't know if that counts.

I think I remember in Vegas that Camel orders meat online but while he SAID he would give us the name of the place I don't remember it.

So overall I would say ordering ingredients online shouldn't be a terrible thing.

So if I understand you correctly, I can got up on craiglists.org and order myself up a delivery of "meat" and "nuts". Hmmm, should make for an interesting search!

I haven't ordered them yet but I'm planning on it. So far I've just worked the menu around not having them. I was this close to ordering the peppercorns until I realized that while the spice only cost around $3, it was going to cost $15 to get them to me on time. I'm considering having my mom run out and grab them for me instead. She mails for free
    And die.
    And blame it on them."
    ~Coreiel
    <WoW CM>

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Oh yummy!

I was just thinking about what I can cook that says spring! This looks great, I'll post my variation when I make it. Clay loves pasta maybe I'll even do this tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK?]Etaoin View Post
    I haven't ordered them yet but I'm planning on it. So far I've just worked the menu around not having them. I was this close to ordering the peppercorns until I realized that while the spice only cost around $3, it was going to cost $15 to get them to me on time. I'm considering having my mom run out and grab them for me instead. She mails for free
    You may want to consider World Spice Merchants. I'm fortunate enough that I can see them from my house. I think they're one of the better spice houses in the country.
    Last edited by [AK]Sonic Boom; 04-23-2008 at 03:26 PM.
    Hasta,
    Boom

Ok,

I joined a CSA (commmunity supported agriculture) and basically for a flat fee I have a box of vegetables that are delivered to my neighborhood for me to pick up.

This week was the first box and here is what I have:

radishes - already gone delivered them to a friend as a bribe
    Beets- both the roots and the greens.
    With the roots I am going to make a beet/lime dish from Gourmet magazine cookbook that sounds divine!
    Not sure with the greens yet but I am working on it!
    Carrots- OK I love carrots these will go in pretty much anything I cook
    Asparagus- Wish the boy was home he loves the stuff.
    I am thinking of putting it in a salad with maybe feta cheese.
    Shallot type things (They have a funny name starting with an R can't think of it right now but they are a cross between garlic and shallots in taste)
    And finally Rhubarb!
    Now I'm a gal from the south and Rhubarb is totally foreign to me I have never cooked with it. I know it's used in deserts alot, none of which have I found compelling. I was thinking of a spread or jelly of some sort. Anyone have a favorite use for Rhubarb?

OR really any of these veggies

Can't wait to see what I am getting next week!
    Last edited by [AK]Beaker; 06-14-2008 at 10:44 AM.

Never rub another man's rhubarb.