Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Beaker's cooking laboratory

Best garlic bread I've ever had.

It was my Dad's B-Day yesterday and we decided to do garlic bread along with the steaks on the grill. (BTW, my Dad showed up last night with a SIXTEEN POUND strip loin, which I carved up into two-inch thick New York steaks.)

We simply took a bunch of garlic and ran it through my Zyliss press and put it in a small sauce pan with some extra virgin olive oil, butter and diced shallots and let it steep on very low heat for a few hours while we were having cocktails and B.S.ing about the ways of the world.

After the steaks were grilled and while they were resting, I took some crusty bread that I got down the street at the Pike Place Market and dipped both sides in the oil/butter concoction and put 'em on the grill.

I know this isn't rocket science, but I'd never left the garlic and shallots over low heat for hours before and it really seemed to make a hell of a difference. Good stuff.
    Hasta,
    Boom

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Shallots = culinary heaven. Very under appreciated and under utilized in American kitchens.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Squidly View Post
    Shallots = culinary heaven. Very under appreciated and under utilized in American kitchens.
    Agreed.

[AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Squidly View Post
    Shallots
    Shazbots?

MMMM!

This sounds so good that my mouth is watering already.

Too bad I have pot roast planned for tonight or Clay might be having garlic toast for supper.

it's Christmas cookie time or close to it. So what is everyone's favorite? Pecan or walnut divinity is a fan favorite as well as chocolate dipped butter ribbon cookies. I try to do some different ones each year so suggestions would be appreciated.

My homemade Chocolate covered cherries and chocolate covered peanut butter balls.

Been making them for years .... Its almost that time !

I also have a homemade yeast roll receipe that I only make on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Its one that has been passed down for generations. Not sweet but reminds me of the holidays just the same !

A few years ago, back when Food Network didn't suck and actually had real chefs (not "personalities") and real cooking shows, I saw an interesting technique for sugar cookies.

Whoever the guy was, he melted sugar in a saucepan like he was making candy or caramel and poured it onto a silicone baking sheet liner and let it harden. Then he flipped it over and peeled the silicone away and ended up with what was essentially a thin pane of perfectly clear sugar glass.

He then took the sugar cookies he'd baked and laid them out closely in a grid and put an edible flower on each cookie. Then he laid the pane of sugar over all the cookies and flamed over everything with a propane torch.

The torch melted the sugar almost instantly, encasing the edible flowers onto the cookies under a shiny clear shellac.

The effect was pretty cool and it looked really easy to do. I've been meaning to try it for a few years now.
    Last edited by [AK]Sonic Boom; 10-29-2008 at 12:51 PM.
    Hasta,
    Boom

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "