Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AoC First Impressions

Overpowered to the core! [AK]Bojan's Avatar

AoC First Impressions

Well I watched my brother play a bit and I made a character on his account and played through the first quest.

I was playing on his laptop since he still hasn't been able to launch the game on his older PC. The laptop runs with vista and direct X10 other than that it isnt a gaming laptop or nothing...oh and its widescreen as well which didnt cause any issues.

With the Default graphics setting it was pretty chopping and sluggish, I turned the settings down and the graphics still looked top notch and gameplay was smooth. Not as smooth as WOW but very playable.

The Graphics them self are awesome. If I was to try and compare it to WOW I would say wow is like watching saturday morning cartoons with the kids and AoC is like watching Beowulf

For the most part the controls are pretty simular to WoW which is cool with me cause im use to it and it makes getting started alot easier.

I have to admit I dig the combat style 10 fold over WoW. There is no click and attack you have to move your avatar into combat range and work your attacks at the angles that do the most damage. After your first kill or two your going to get your first combo move (as a fighter type) which is a cooldown but requires you to follow it up with another action to pull it off, I imagen as you lvl up and get bigger and better combos this could be a fun little tool which will require some technique and skill to pull off. Another neat fact is if you have 3 guys infront of you swinging away you will be damaging all the foes infront of you when swinging in wide arcs. You dont have to target one burn it down target another burn him down ect. Your a blood thirsty killing machine laying waste to dirty pillager from the start.

I also know as you lvl up your get an additional 2 combat areas to attack as well as defenses positions etc. I cant comment on them but if its going to be like how i think it is its going to take skill to be a tank.

Charter Creation isnt bad. There are ALOT of options to play with which i know some dont care but i dig it. From body style... Buff, Thin, Fat or a little bit of a mix to squinty eyes or a caveman brow you can adjust it all. Sorry didnt play with any of the female toons so I cant say if its as good as the male creation but I imagen it is.

Anyway ill be holding my breath till Tuesday when it releases for the rest of us and I hope to see a good amount of AK there as well, i think it will be a fun game.

Also as I stated on another thread we are on the Stormrage PVP server.

August Knights
    The old Man in the War [AK]Rocks's Avatar

I thought our server was Deathwhisper (PVP) where I am Cinmerian Ranger, level 5 and having a blast thus far!

Every now and then I get distracted in conversation and forget that if I'm not clicking, I'm not hitting. lol. But man I am having fun.

Lvl 10 Dark Temp. so far.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Need an in-depth review. How do quests work. How do spells work. How does character creation(stats) work. How does armor and weapons work. Are there enchantments. etc.

Details.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Squidly View Post
    Need an in-depth review. How do quests work. How do spells work. How does character creation(stats) work. How does armor and weapons work. Are there enchantments. etc.

Details.
    I won't be able to post more about it until after I actually install my own game and play for more than 30 minutes, but I will post more reviews once I get going.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Rocks View Post
    I thought our server was Deathwhisper (PVP) where I am Cinmerian Ranger, level 5 and having a blast thus far!

If Deathwhisper is where we want to play thats fine with me i dont think my brothers toons are more than lvl 7 and if I have to talk him into rerolling now is the time.

When we checked it it was overloaded thats the only reason we didnt roll there.

Talked to Rog and he has created a temp toon on Deathwhisper so someone should probably just make the call before the rest of us come rolling in....

Deathwhisper or Stormrage ?????

Finished current review and posted new for bump.
    Last edited by Thanory; 05-19-2008 at 12:37 PM.

OK, my wife and I have rolled through 17 levels on Demonologist and Dark Templar. All the quest NPC's make you run through dialog so there is no click click quest accepted. Its more like click click click click click quest accepted. You also have a separate bag section for quest items. There is also one for resources which I assume is for gathering crafting mats. Have not gotten that far yet.

My wife is playing the Demonologist and so far spells are fairly simple. She does have a demon but unlike WoW the demon holds 0 aggro. Mobs know the demon is yours so its your butt they come after. She does have an electrical spell that roots the mobs. That has worked out very nice. Spell casting is awesome looking so far.

I have been digging this Dark Templar. Right now it seems the class is best suited for pulling multiple mobs instead of single pulls. I can hit a combo that leeches a percentage of health back to me from the damage I do. After that I can start sweeping attacks with my different combo's. Also I have a self buff that has a chance to inflict damage to anyone attacking me. That damage does also help my health leeching.

From what I have seen from the melee classes they all use the same basic combo system. So to use Sweep 1 you have to click Sweep then Upper Right attack. So far from my experience they are just press ability the attack modifier. I am sure more advanced combos are to come were you could have any number of abilities and modifiers to click. Also adjusting your attacks or what abilities you are going to use because of the mobs shield abilities is cool. You can actually tell were a mob is more vulnerable or heavily defended. That defiantly keeps you out of the mindset of clicking 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and so on to just go through your skills.

Casters will have combos to deal with as well from what I have read. There is a really cool video Funcom released called Spell Weaving. It is a pre-fight buff that will probably only be used for boss fights or raid situations. It was a 4 minute cast (Give or Take) were the caster was having to click several different buttons to keep the spell going. I will have to find the video later since our web filters block everything. But they made a statement that if the caster messes up he may die and have to start the spell over.

Here is something I found useful and cool. The Trader, an NPC who is the Bank, AH, and Mailbox all in one. That's right, no more running back and forth. You place your items in Store, right click if you want to sell, select the search tab to browse the auctions or run over to the Post tab to mail items around.

Well that's really all I have right now. As we all new graphics are a far stretch better then WoW. The combat system is allot more fun. And I am only level 17 so really, how much do you want from me?

Justïn Smïth
    Laser Technïcïan
    SïgnWarehouse, Inc.

Tech-Support: 800.966.1783
    Offïce: 903.462.7700 x2766 Fax: 903.462.7789

I figured I would add that the "Night" mode is pretty interesting.

Basically you talk to a few select quest givers, one of which is your class trainer who give you the option to continue certain quest at night.

When you go into night mode alot of the normal NPC's are not around and there are no other player characters about.

When go to your quest zones... yes that is another thing there are zones and lots of them, its not a bad thing but something you will have to get used to, i feel it makes travel faster since your not sitting on a grif for 10 minutes you look at a loading screen for 5-20 seconds and bam your where your boat or what ever took you...

Anyway when I was in the single player quest mode it was like being in your own wow instance. The mobs lvls match your current lvl and with finess can be solo'd with little to no deaths. I played a healer and died alot, played a Barbarian and slaughtered all infront of me.

So you basically have a long quest chain in single player mode with tailor made isntances to match your lvl and class to complete. I enjoyed them. On the other side you still have a large quest pool on the outside which you can complete with friends. I noticed the quest log keeps track of daytime quest and night time quest seperatley.

i also noticed at this point money isnt really an issue I have been able to purchase top of the line armor and weapons from the smiths without denting my coin, altho the Traders as Thanory mentioned before have been down while I played.

Anyway got a call and got to run will post more later.

Some great player made videos that really show off the graphics if you have the system for it.

HERE

Just follow the links on this page I have only looked at the first one and its worth the post alone, checking the rest now.

Well I've had my copy since Friday and still can't get on to play.

I'm hoping it will come up soon tonight so that I can at least see it. I'll be on Deathwhisper since I guess that is where AK is going.

See you guys in game soon I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by [AK?]Swae View Post
    Well I've had my copy since Friday and still can't get on to play.

I'm hoping it will come up soon tonight so that I can at least see it. I'll be on Deathwhisper since I guess that is where AK is going.

See you guys in game soon I hope!
    The servers are down right now and suppose to be up any minute from (Getting rdy for launch) so maybe sooner than later if your lucky...

Also I think we all decided to roll on

STORMRAGE

If I am not mistaken, but as I said before I wont have my toons till later tomorrow so you will all have to figure it out before I come home with my copy.

Aww, I thought you were gonna be on tonight.

I'm staying up just to see if I can get in when the servers come up. Stormrage is fine by me, I think that's where all the Azgalor folks are going.

Im trying to get on using my brothers account tonight but ill have to delete to toons and start over tomorrow.