Thread: Processor recommendation

Processor recommendation

Calling all you computer folks!

I think it's time to upgrade the ole single core processor. I need suggestions as to what some good options are. I'd prefer to get something that I don't have to upgrade next year, but I don't want to spend a small fortune either.

So if you were about to get a new processor, what would you get?

(damn swae, just came in to post the same question!)

My problem is that I get my PC's from work - they're, um... 'excess property', wink wink, nudge nudge - so they are basically business PC's and they just can't handle all of my upgrades.

The current one only has a 250w power supply. Two optical drives, two hard drives, floppy drive, USB mouse, and a new video card = FAIL. So on this computer I've max the RAM, gone as far as I can got with AGP and now it's starting to show its limitations.

So, seeing how I haven't bought a computer since 1996, maybe it's time to quit using business PC's (HP workstations) and get a real computer?

So my question is what the hell is up with dual core and quad core.
    I know I need at least 3ghz and 3gb of ram (I don't want to go 64bit processing yet) and PCI-express and a fat power supply but like Swae I need a recommendation on chips.

I'm currently looking at THIS Intel Pentium D Dual Core 950 3.4Ghz PC. I'm upgrading to a 650w power supply and the Nvidia Geforce 8800gts 320mb Dual Dvi-I.

Any recommendations. C'mon guys, help out or I'll raise the price of oil. Maybe unleash the De Vinci virus at work! Hack the Gibson!

-bill

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

I'd be looking at the Intel Core 2 Duos or quads. I've got a Core 2 Duo 6600 (2.4 gHz), and it is smoking fast. They are affordable as well. I know you are used to seeing gHz above 3, but this is actually faster than that Pentium D.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16819115003
    Last edited by [AK]Abaddon; 05-24-2008 at 04:05 AM.
    [AK]Abaddon

Nuts and Swae....

Here's the problem. With older Rigs, You have the limitation of AGP and the Motherboards socket. If I remember Swae you have a Dell right? Another problem, Dells don't like upgrades, their really propriatary machines.

Now the good news is that CD/DVD Roms and the such can be reused in a new rig. So any real money is just going to be spent in 4 major catagories.

1) The motherboard
    2) The processor
    3) The Memory
    4) The Video Card

Places like Tiger Direct
    and New Egg Have Motherboard combos they sell with the MB,Processor, and Memory that lessen the money blow.

Certain things your looking for in a new Rig that will buy you some time and give you room for upgrade are support for Dual and Quad core processors, and a motherboard thats SLI ready. The ability to run multiple video cards in SLI mode is amazing. You can purchase a single video card and run like that and later on buy a second, strap them in SLI and run TWICE the video. Most MB's have support for at least 4G of memory these days so thats not an issue.

I'll look around and find some MB combos that you'll enjoy for a few years without fear of having to upgrade.

Don't forget the power supply....you will be disappointed when you find out you cant run all the new gear....make sure the old one can handle the new equipment load....its really not a bad idea to upgrade it anyways...an old power supply all of a sudden running under a heavier power load doesn't make me feel comfortable.......just my .02ยข

I just rebuilt with a q6600. very nice chip.

I saved a budle of money by checking deal sites for parts i wanted.

slickdeals.net leterally saved me about 1000 bucks with my last build.

Its a forum where people post the best deals found. Sales from local chains, online sites, rebates and price mistakes exc..

Some really killer deals on parts can be found there.

Main page!
    http://www.slickdeals.net/
    Current hot deals forum.
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Brorlis View Post
    Nuts and Swae....

Here's the problem. With older Rigs, You have the limitation of AGP and the Motherboards socket. If I remember Swae you have a Dell right? Another problem, Dells don't like upgrades, their really propriatary machines.
    Well, I had a Dell, and then Kidd got a hold of it. The only thing left from that system is the processor and the CD/DVD Rom Drive - I have a new hard drive, new video card, additional memory (can't remember if we kept the old and added or just replaced it entirely), new power supply, and a spiffy new large case with lots of fans. I know I will have to upgrade the motherboard when I get a new processor, but I'm hoping I can do so in such a way as to keep all the other components that are all < 6 months old.

Is it worth it to go with quad core at this point or would a dual core be sufficient? I know the faster the processor the better, but is there an arbitrary number that I should not go below?

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by [AK?]Swae View Post
    Is it worth it to go with quad core at this point or would a dual core be sufficient? I know the faster the processor the better, but is there an arbitrary number that I should not go below?
    I recommend the 8-core!
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK?]Swae View Post

A duel core CPU would be sufficient at this point but with prices the way they are its just a few bucks more to get a better chip. I wouldn't get anything smaller than the Q6600
    Its a small quad core cpu but nothings small about it.

Couple it with this Motherboard

And this
    Video Card

And you'll be a happy Gamer =)
    Last edited by [AK]Brorlis; 05-27-2008 at 08:03 AM.

okay, so I'm putting together my new computer tonight (sent the wife and kids to the neighbor's). Since when in the hell did they decide to make 12v power connectors (usually 4 ports) into 8-port connectors? Because the motherboard still only accepts a 4-port connector. But the only cable I have is 8-port. Oh wait... what's that? Oh! Looky here! You RIP THE CONNECTOR IN HALF! Of course! How frickin' obvious! The cable supports either normal 4-port or new fangled 8's. DUR

Stupid computer.

Either way, I finally got it turned on and installing Windows Vista 64-bit now. I may just go ahead and jump up to 8gb. It's only another $98, right?

Also, based on what I've read, I can overclock the shit out of this chip. It's a an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W and word is that I can easily get it up to 3.6GHZ without worrying about any heat issue. 4.3 with additional fans. SWEET!

To hell with the fans go LIQUID!!!

Way Cooler than normal fans....No noise....and No dust in your Rig...You can't go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Brorlis View Post
    To hell with the fans go LIQUID!!!

Way Cooler than normal fans....No noise....and No dust in your Rig...You can't go wrong
    Maintenance on water setups can be a royal PITA. Have to be super extra careful when moving the rig, if the cables are exposed to the outside to the heat-sink area mounted on the rear of the case, it's easy to get them tweaked and cause a leak. Don't get me wrong, water cooling is super sweet, but it all depends on how it's setup.
    Ditguidice - Hand of A'dal, Champion of the Naaru ///// Soulquencher - Hand of A'dal, Knight Captain.

"I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many comprimisises already, too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assmilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no farther!"

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    For 90% of gamers, the whole overclocking scene is overkill and leads to more problems than it is worth.

If you don't have the time/interest to devote to slavishly studying all of the technical particulars, don't bother going down that road.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Just bought my new components from a combination of TigerDirect and NewEgg. About $350 altogether, before rebates. Went with AMD instead of Intel because 200 mhz faster core was $40 cheaper that way.
    Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Processor - 2.80GHz (dual core)
    2 GB DDR2 800 Mhz (2x1 GB dual channel)
    GIGABYTE AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard (open box for about $100 off)
    XFX GeForce 8800GT XXX 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card (just one for now but the potential is there to add another down the road when it's cheaper).

I saved a little money by deciding to use my current case rather than buy a new case as part of a barebones kit.

Compare to my current rig:
    Athlon XP 2800+ 2.1 Ghz
    1.5 GB DDR PC3200 RAM
    GeForce 6600 GT AGP

Someone's getting ready to kick some AoC arse!!

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Got home, got my last components and put the whole thing together--and whammo, power goes out right before I get it plugged in. (Of course I was on a good surge protector, so I would have been fine even had it been plugged in.) Turns out a transformer behind my house blew, so I've been without power for the past 7+ hours. But I'm still getting all the drivers installed so I can play AoC tomorrow!! Debating whether to upgrade this rig to Vista to take advantage of DX10 and clean out some of the obsolete drivers (I opted not to format just yet).