Tip #1. Checking in 24 hrs before your flight, doesn't mean you can actually check in that early. If your airline has an unGodly 6:00 am departure time, going to the airport at 4:00 pm the day before doesn't actually work. Your clever scheme to drop off 100 lbs of luggage - to get that out of the way, get the boarding pass and be able to sleep in a bit more in the morning - might mean you get to wait 15 minutes for the next shuttle bus to lug 100 lbs of luggage back to your area hotel to spend the night with you after all. When the ticket agent tells you have MUST arrive AT LEAST 2 hrs prior to departure, but NO MORE than 4 hrs prior to departure, and you look at her like she's an idiot - it doesn't help.

Tip #2. Should there be a Godzilla convention (number XV) at your hotel, don't wait for the Gozdilla fight (Green Godzilla vs Black Godzilla) on the handicap ramp to finish before rolling your 100 lb of luggage up. They won't finish within your patience span anyway, and you'll have to barrel through with your luggage after 5 minutes, so just go right ahead right away. It's all good, the camera folks will try to figure out a way to work it into the act. (I swear to God, I'm not making this up)

Tip #3. If you are feeling all superior to Godzilla dorks because you play WoW - way cooler right? Keep discrete about it - because the old ladies in the back of the bus might end up giving your their 24 hr subway pass for you to go downtown Chicago to see the fireworks for free. (I think the one of the left wears the black Godzilla outfit)

Tip #4. When returning to the hotel at 10:45pm from the fireworks show, try to enter quietly because the Godzilla conventioners are sleeping it off. Except for the handful of diehards of course.

Tip #5. Try to set aside a little extra time when planning a hotel stay - you never know where there's going to be a new Godzilla video game unveiling tournament in your hotel - which could be pretty cool.