Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well isn't this great...

Well isn't this great...

Just 2 days before the anniversary of Katrina, this is what we are looking at:

Please everyone, send your strongest mojo that this storm does not hit us as a major storm as predicted. Wish it upon Mexico or something.

"]

"I sharded Thunderfury!" [AK]Camelwalk's Avatar
    Make sure you get out of town in time if it is going to hit. You could always evacute to Vegas, there is always a room for Swae and you!

The storm is still a way off.

Besides it looks like this is Florida's year for storms maybe Gus will go play with Fay.

I don't know what the gulf temps are like this year the year of Katrina and Rita the gulf was incredibly hot which led to rapid intensification.

If however the 5 day forecast starts looking grim then like Camel says there are plenty of places you guys can evacuate to.

My parents are within driving distance, and there are plenty of extra bedrooms and internet in Wisconsin.

That wasn't my link actually.

http://weather.chron.com/auto/chron/...807_model.html

was my link. Not sure why it didn't work. But anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Beaker View Post
    I don't know what the gulf temps are like this year the year of Katrina and Rita the gulf was incredibly hot which led to rapid intensification.
    It definitely is a ways off, but something about this one is freaking me out a bit...lol. Gustav has now tied the record for the fastest intensifying storm on record, which is also scary. The models are predicting a Cat 4 or 5 since it's late in the summer and the Gulf is so warm. Apparently we are all waiting to see what some front over Utah is going to do...it will either come push the storm to Mexico or let it come to Louisiana.

As far as evacuating, I doubt we leave. In fact, my house will probably be a shelter for some of my New Orleans friends. Although if we lose power for 2 weeks like we did with Katrina/Rita, I think Kidd might go nuts and flee with his computer to somewhere with internet.

I'll extend the invite again....If shit hits the fan I'm 6 hours North....Easy Drive and good BBQ !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Swae View Post
    . Although if we lose power for 2 weeks like we did with Katrina/Rita, I think Kidd might go nuts and flee with his computer to somewhere with internet.
    my butt is heading back to Montana. Nice reason to visit IMO
    "]

My parents have a generator, one month without power due to Rita taught them alot of self sufficiency. They have gas grills and camp stoves 4-wheelers chain saws and well water. Sort of prepared for high tech camping when storms hit.

Again it's a long way out and you are probably freaking out because you have Katrina on your mind already.

Two storms rarely take the exact same track and even ones that do take the same track often react differently.

Follow the storm by all means but you have a week to see where Gus is going.

By all means go visit Montana or Wisconsin, or Las Vegas, or where ever if it looks close road trips can be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Kidd View Post
    my butt is heading back to Montana. Nice reason to visit IMO
    Come back to Montana (or at least send the wife)!! The weather is GRRREEEAAAT!!!!!
    "Try to walk a mile in a healer's sandals.
    That way, you'll be a mile ahead of them.
    And out of range for heals.
    And die.
    And blame it on them."
    ~Coreiel
    <WoW CM>

***Taking a small gaming break while I play the ultimate RTS...Parenthood***

August Knights
    The old Man in the War [AK]Rocks's Avatar

The weather is GRRREEEAAAT!!!!!
    The Peguins are playing and the the snow pack is down to 2ft.

Well in the spirit of our impending doom, here is something I found quite funny. Mainly because it's supposed to be sarcastic but is actually pretty damned accurate...lol.

Hurricane Preparedness:
    We're entering hurricane season. You may soon be turning on the TV and seeing a weather person pointing to some radar blob out in the Gulf of Mexico and making two basic meteorological points:

(1) There is no need to panic.

(2) We could all be killed.

Yes, hurricane season is an exciting time to be in Louisiana. If you're new to the area, you're probably wondering what you need to do to prepare for the
    possibility that we'll get hit by "the big one.''Based on our experiences, we recommend that you follow this simple three-step hurricane preparedness plan:

STEP 1. Buy enough food and bottled water to last your family for at least three days.

STEP 2. Put these supplies into your car.

STEP 3. Drive to Nebraska and remain there until Halloween.

Unfortunately, statistics show that most people will not follow this sensible plan. Most people will foolishly stay here in Louisiana.

We'll start with one of the most important hurricane preparedness items:

HOMEOWNERS' INSURANCE: If you own a home, you must have hurricane insurance. Fortunately, this insurance is cheap and easy to get, as long as your home meets two basic requirements:

(1) It is reasonably well-built, and

(2) It is located in Nebraska.

Unfortunately, if your home is located in South Louisiana, or any other area that might actually be hit by a hurricane, most insurance companies would
    prefer not to sell you hurricane insurance, because then they might be required to pay YOU money, and that is certainly not why they got into the insurance business in the first place. So you'll have to scrounge around for an insurance company, which will charge you an annual premium roughly equal to the replacement value of your house. At any moment, this company can drop you like used dental floss.

Since Hurricane George, I have had an estimated 27 different home-insurance companies. This week, I'm covered by the Bob and Big Stan Insurance Company, under a policy which states that, in addition to my premium, Bob and Big Stan are entitled, on demand, to my kidneys.

SHUTTERS: Your house should have hurricane shutters on all the windows, all the doors, and -- if it's a major hurricane -- all the toilets. There are several types of shutters, with advantages and disadvantages:

Plywood shutters: The advantage is that, because you make them yourself, they're cheap. The disadvantage is that, because you make them yourself, they will fall off.

Sheet-metal shutters: The advantage is that these work well, once you get them all up. The disadvantage is that once you get them all up, your hands will be useless bleeding stumps, and it will be December.

Roll-down shutters: The advantages are that they're very easy to use, and will definitely protect your house. The disadvantage is that you will have to sell your house to pay for them.

"Hurricane-proof'' windows: These are the newest wrinkle in hurricane protection: They look like ordinary windows, but they can withstand hurricane
    winds! You can be sure of this, because the salesman says so. He lives in Nebraska.

Hurricane Proofing Your Property: As the hurricane approaches, check your yard for movable objects like barbecue grills, planters, patio furniture, visiting
    relatives, etc.. You should, as a precaution, throw these items into your swimming pool (if you don't have a swimming pool, you should have one built
    immediately). Otherwise, the hurricane winds will turn these objects into deadly missiles.

EVACUATION ROUTE: If you live in a low-lying area, you should have an evacuation route planned out. (To determine whether you live in a low-lying area, look at your driver's license; if it says "Louisiana," you live in a low-lying area.)

The purpose of having an evacuation route is to avoid being trapped in your home when a major storm hits. Instead, you will be trapped in a gigantic traffic jam several miles from your home, along with two hundred thousand other evacuees. So, as a bonus, you will not be lonely.

HURRICANE SUPPLIES: If you don't evacuate, you will need a mess of supplies.

Do not buy them now! Louisiana tradition requires that you wait until the last possible minute, then go to the supermarket and get into vicious fights with
    strangers over who get the last can of SPAM. In addition to food and water, you will need the following supplies:

* 23 flashlights

* At least $167 worth of batteries that turn out, when the power goes off, to be the wrong size for the flashlights.

* Bleach. (No, I don't know what the bleach is for. NOBODY knows what the bleach is for, but it's traditional, so GET some!)

* A 55-gallon drum of underarm deodorant.

* A large quantity of raw chicken, to placate the alligators. (Ask anybody who went through Camille; after the hurricane, there WILL be irate alligators.)

* $35,000 in cash or diamonds so that, after the hurricane passes, you can buy a generator from a manwith no discernible teeth.

Of course these are just basic precautions. As the hurricane draws near, it is vitally important that you keep abreast of the situation by turning on your
    television and watching TV reporters in rain slickers stand right next to the ocean and tell you over and over how vitally important it is for everybody to stay away from the ocean.

Good luck, and remember: It's great living in Paradise!

August Knights
    The old Man in the War [AK]Rocks's Avatar

Good luck, and remember: It's great living in Paradise!
    Dont you mean living with Paradise!

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Kidd and Swae conducting an emergency hurricane drill. Save the valuables!

[AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Bribo View Post
    Kidd and Swae conducting an emergency hurricane drill. Save the valuables!
    HHHHHAAAAAHHHHHAAAA

Nice find Bri!

Kidd and Swae - Good luck guys, hope all is well.