Thread: Rainbow Six and other offline games?

Rainbow Six and other offline games?

So as you may have heard me complain about endlessly, Kidd and I haven't had internet (or cable) since Gustav hit on Labor Day. This led us to hit up Gamestop for some non-online games. Kidd got an FPS and I got, well, something not nearly so fun.

Now I'm not normally a fan of FPS games, especially one I have to play alone. But the game he picked up piqued my interest, and now I'm totally hooked on it! It's Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, and it's an FPS with a story line - basically terrorists take over Las Vegas and you get to wield cool guns and save people and stuff.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there for anyone who is not fond of FPS games (although I may be the only one in that category). The action isn't too fast for me, and there's enough sneaking around and strategizing that I didn't feel like I just had to run in and blow things up. Definitely gets a thumbs up from me.

What are some other non-internet games that you enjoy? We are certainly looking for more suggestions, and the selection at Gamestop was dismal at best. Note: lots of games that are not internet based still require internet to start up. I was rather dismayed to see that I could not play Portal because I can't access Steam, even though I have the actual hard copy of the game...

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

I just installed Psychonauts on my laptop. It's free from Gametap, but you can probably pick it up on the cheap from your local store. It's a weird third person action/adventure game.

I've also reinstalled Fallout 2. LOVE that game and want to finally finish it before Fallout 3.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Assistant Recruiter

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]The Beast View Post
    I just installed Psychonauts on my laptop. It's free from Gametap, but you can probably pick it up on the cheap from your local store. It's a weird third person action/adventure game.

I've also reinstalled Fallout 2. LOVE that game and want to finally finish it before Fallout 3.
    Fallout
    Civilization iv
    Crysis
    Bioshock (might need Internet, not sure)
    Wife and I used to play Diablo on the LAN
    [insert signature text here]

Administrator
    August Knights
    Assistant Recruiter

if uypi want to go really retro, I loved Crusader. Mechwarior was awesome too, still waiting for someone to release am updated version.
    [insert signature text here]

For super retro you might try System Shock.

While I didn't play it because FPS make me sick at my stomache it had the BEST mood enhnacement and pacing I have ever seen in a game.

The minigames inside were a nice change of pace too.

Definitely should get Diablo 2 and set up a LAN for you guys to play on. I loved that game!

Oh and the No One Lives Forever game or something like that the one with the 60's chic that is Jame's Bond type. (I have a CD of the music but it's also more of a sneak and shoot rather than just a run and gun). Gotta love exploding poddles and perfume as a weapon!

For just a hoot I would reccomend the WORMS franchise. You and the boy can have hours of fun trying to kill each other. They even laugh when you miss!

Another style to try is the adventure type puzzle game. There was a wierd European one not too many years ago that was pretty immersive. I can't remember it's name right now. It might be quite challenging to do without a walkthrough.

Finally there are always books for those times when you don't have a game you want as well. I know you are both big readers anything in particular you want me to send yall's way.

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    There's oodles of great games on the PS3 and Xbox360 console :-)

August Knights

I picked up Dungeon Siege for $1 at the dollar store. It isnt too bad and its great for a dollar. I just remember playing Desert Combat with everyone and having a blast. Oh the good ol' days...

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Quote Originally Posted by [AK]StitchJones View Post
    There's oodles of great games on the PS3 and Xbox360 console :-)
    Unfortunately the control on those platforms is abysmal.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Squidly View Post
    Unfortunately the control on those platforms is abysmal.
    Oh c'mon! Pong is not THAT bad!
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    In relation to PS3 games, a majority of them support mouse and keyboard support so it get's the goofy controller out of your hand. And if you think about it, if your patient enough using a controller really isn't that awful. Just think of how great of an experience Dead Rising is on the Xbox360 and what your missing out on with just that game alone Squid.
    Plus there is Left 4 Dead right around the corner. I think that's a Xbox360 and PC title.