Thread: any sharepoint gurus out there?

any sharepoint gurus out there?

Ok here's the problem we are having. We want to hide some of the sharepoint info from a select group of people. We tried just using different view options but that didn't format nicely and you could still see everything when you went into detail. Anyone have an easy solution? Our current options appear to be migrating the database to acess(yuck) or running a sqlserver query on the current database (we don't have access to this option yet). So is there an elegant solution we're not seeing?

WoW Beaker, I can't believe I missed this post for so long.. Sorry about that.

Are you still having this issue? If so, which version of SharePoint are you using?

A few ideas. I know you mentioned a custom view not being ideal, but it's one of the easiest ways for you to share the list and not allow everyone to see everything. Formatting just takes some time and tweaking.. From there you have other options as to how they can reach that view. For example, you can remove the list from the quick launch bar on the left, and have a list view web part on the main site just referencing the view you wish to share. The big thing is assuring you don't choose the column that can be clicked to edit and setting the webpart options properly (pretty easy).

If your running MOSS '07, you may also be able to speak to your admin about Audiences. Their meant for situations just like that.

"Enable Audience Targeting
    Enabling audience targeting will create a targeting column for this list. Web parts, such as the Content Query Web Part, can use this data to filter list contents based on the user's context. "

Let me know if I can assist any further, and again sorry for the delay in response. not sure how I missed this..