Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aion anyone?

Aion anyone?

Is anyone planning on picking up Aion next month when it comes out (besides Rocks, who buys everything)?

I know our last ventures into non-WoW MMORPGs didn't go so well (Age of Conan, anyone?), but I'd be willing to try this game out if we have other people interested as well.

It's being made by NCSoft. and the last three of their MMORPG's that I've played I have not been impressed with at all. (Guild Wars, Lineage II, and City of Heroes. if you need a hint). I'll wait for the reviews on this one to be out first.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Dance as though no one is watching you,
    Love as though you never been hurt before,
    Sing as though no one can hear you,
    Live as though heaven is on earth.
    -Souza
    ----------------------------------------------

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar

Check

I have Aion pre-purchased. After playing the BETA last week I was not exactly blown away but I was very impressed. Impressed enough to invest the $50 to buy it. The developers have spent a lot of time polishing this game, and it really shows in all the mechanics of play. The one thing I'm still trying to get a real grasp on is the PvPvE element they are working in. I wasn't able to play enough to see it first hand so I can't comment on that at all yet.

The use of the Crytek engine was a great choice. The game looks simply fantastic. I played on both my Macbook(Windows XP Boot Camp) with 1440x1050 Medium graphic settings and on my hulking home PC 1920x1200 with High graphic settings. Depending on your setup you can scale the graphics to match pretty much and gaming rig you have at home that is based on hardware within the last 4 years or so. Remember Crytek engine = GOOOOD.

Aion borrows some configuration elements of the Lineage series and Guild Wars, but it also has it's own style that sets it apart. It has the most comfortable interface I've seen since WoW. The pricing plan is also something different that depending on how often you play will either work well within your budget or you'll need to pay a little bit more. Normal/Casual players will be able to play within the $15.00 plan just fine. Crazy die hard 8hr a day players will want to look at the discounted extended 40$ plan.

Right now if you go over to MMORPG.com they are giving away beta keys for this weekends closed beta event. if you want to give it a whirl, I suggest you head over right away. I also have a extra key, so if you come up short, let me know and I'll hook you up with my key.

I can't locate a Beta Key to save my life. Seems like a ton of sites got some this weekend, but they are all gone.

I'll keep looking, I'd like to try it out before I lay down the $50.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

I've seen it advertised, but haven't read much beyond that. What does it "bring to the table"--what makes it different from WoW? (Which I in no way dislike; it held my attention for longer than most games do/did.)

Good question Beast. What it brings to the table is another MMO set in a fantasy universe that is on the same playing field as other MMO's in general. It offers some features that are unique enough to be their own, yet stay within the framework of a MMORPG type game that you would feel comfortable playing. It is by no means WoW, nor is it trying to be which is good thing. To many other games have tried and failed to do so in the past.

What makes it unique, you can fly for up to 1minute. That's right you sprout wings and soar on up high to get from point A to point B. It's a nice and fun thing to do to navigate around some things in critical situations. Cool down times are still yet to be set in stone so it could be 5min, 10min or 15min. If your flying way up high and your minute is up, it's pancake time :-)
    Aion offers a Human, Elf and Demon races to play. There are four main classes each with two sub classes making a grand total of eight different roles you can play.
    Warrior (Templar) (Gladiator)
    Priest (Chanter) (Cleric)
    Mage (Spiritmaster) (Sorcerer)
    Scout (Ranger) (Assassin)

You can check out more on the self-wiki if it tickles your fancy
    http://powerwiki.na.aiononline.com/aion

Anyone know what the time commitment would be for something like this? Less than WoW? The same? I have time for about 4 hours of gaming a week or less would this fit?

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Beaker View Post
    Anyone know what the time commitment would be for something like this? Less than WoW? The same? I have time for about 4 hours of gaming a week or less would this fit?
    It's an MMORPG, just like WoW, so I would imagine you could put as much time into it as you want. I won't have a ton of time to play - WoW still keeps me busy at least 3 nights a week.

I plan on trying out the Beta this weekend and I'll let you know what I think of it. I just hope it's better than Age of Conan or Warhammer!

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Sounds kind of interesting. I'm through my game budget for August, but may consider picking this up in a month or so, if it's gotten any AK traction.

After seeing this at PAX last year, I decided to pre-order and will be messing around in the beta this weekend. Give me a holler if ya'll want some company!
    "Try to walk a mile in a healer's sandals.
    That way, you'll be a mile ahead of them.
    And out of range for heals.
    And die.
    And blame it on them."
    ~Coreiel
    <WoW CM>

***Taking a small gaming break while I play the ultimate RTS...Parenthood***

Shall we all meet in vent while playing to BS and talk general gaming info :-)

Beast, it would be cool to see you in a MMO game again.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]StitchJones View Post
    Sounds great!
    And die.
    And blame it on them."
    ~Coreiel
    <WoW CM>

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]StitchJones View Post

Beast, it would be cool to see you in a MMO game again.
    Sounds good to me, I'll probably be hanging out in vent anyway. I usually get off of work early on Fridays, so I'll see you guys then!

Overpowered to the core! [AK]Bojan's Avatar
    Ill work on getting a beta key for this weekend if it isnt too late. Ive been waiting for something else to play besides WoW... I dont really care if it isnt the best just something new would be nice.

Ill be purchasing this regardless.

Bojan - If you're going to be buying it anyway, you can go ahead and pre-order from NCsoft or another game outlet. If you do you get some ingame goodies, free play time and a beta key.
    And die.
    And blame it on them."
    ~Coreiel
    <WoW CM>