Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aion anyone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Aion anyone?

Is anyone planning on picking up Aion next month when it comes out (besides Rocks, who buys everything)?

I know our last ventures into non-WoW MMORPGs didn't go so well (Age of Conan, anyone?), but I'd be willing to try this game out if we have other people interested as well.

It's being made by NCSoft. and the last three of their MMORPG's that I've played I have not been impressed with at all. (Guild Wars, Lineage II, and City of Heroes. if you need a hint). I'll wait for the reviews on this one to be out first.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Dance as though no one is watching you,
    Love as though you never been hurt before,
    Sing as though no one can hear you,
    Live as though heaven is on earth.
    -Souza
    ----------------------------------------------

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar

Check

I have Aion pre-purchased. After playing the BETA last week I was not exactly blown away but I was very impressed. Impressed enough to invest the $50 to buy it. The developers have spent a lot of time polishing this game, and it really shows in all the mechanics of play. The one thing I'm still trying to get a real grasp on is the PvPvE element they are working in. I wasn't able to play enough to see it first hand so I can't comment on that at all yet.

The use of the Crytek engine was a great choice. The game looks simply fantastic. I played on both my Macbook(Windows XP Boot Camp) with 1440x1050 Medium graphic settings and on my hulking home PC 1920x1200 with High graphic settings. Depending on your setup you can scale the graphics to match pretty much and gaming rig you have at home that is based on hardware within the last 4 years or so. Remember Crytek engine = GOOOOD.

Aion borrows some configuration elements of the Lineage series and Guild Wars, but it also has it's own style that sets it apart. It has the most comfortable interface I've seen since WoW. The pricing plan is also something different that depending on how often you play will either work well within your budget or you'll need to pay a little bit more. Normal/Casual players will be able to play within the $15.00 plan just fine. Crazy die hard 8hr a day players will want to look at the discounted extended 40$ plan.

Right now if you go over to MMORPG.com they are giving away beta keys for this weekends closed beta event. if you want to give it a whirl, I suggest you head over right away. I also have a extra key, so if you come up short, let me know and I'll hook you up with my key.

I can't locate a Beta Key to save my life. Seems like a ton of sites got some this weekend, but they are all gone.

I'll keep looking, I'd like to try it out before I lay down the $50.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

I've seen it advertised, but haven't read much beyond that. What does it "bring to the table"--what makes it different from WoW? (Which I in no way dislike; it held my attention for longer than most games do/did.)

Good question Beast. What it brings to the table is another MMO set in a fantasy universe that is on the same playing field as other MMO's in general. It offers some features that are unique enough to be their own, yet stay within the framework of a MMORPG type game that you would feel comfortable playing. It is by no means WoW, nor is it trying to be which is good thing. To many other games have tried and failed to do so in the past.

What makes it unique, you can fly for up to 1minute. That's right you sprout wings and soar on up high to get from point A to point B. It's a nice and fun thing to do to navigate around some things in critical situations. Cool down times are still yet to be set in stone so it could be 5min, 10min or 15min. If your flying way up high and your minute is up, it's pancake time :-)
    Aion offers a Human, Elf and Demon races to play. There are four main classes each with two sub classes making a grand total of eight different roles you can play.
    Warrior (Templar) (Gladiator)
    Priest (Chanter) (Cleric)
    Mage (Spiritmaster) (Sorcerer)
    Scout (Ranger) (Assassin)

You can check out more on the self-wiki if it tickles your fancy
    http://powerwiki.na.aiononline.com/aion

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]StitchJones View Post
    The pricing plan is also something different that depending on how often you play will either work well within your budget or you'll need to pay a little bit more. Normal/Casual players will be able to play within the $15.00 plan just fine. Crazy die hard 8hr a day players will want to look at the discounted extended 40$ plan.
    Kind of a deal breaker for me think it's a huge mistake on their part to say that they are going to charge people different rates depending on how much or little you play. They will never get a lot of folks to switch from games like wow to this if they are going to have to pay 2-3 times as much. Too bad looks great but not even worth a look to me with pricing like that.

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Gunny Highway View Post
    Kind of a deal breaker for me think it's a huge mistake on their part to say that they are going to charge people different rates depending on how much or little you play. They will never get a lot of folks to switch from games like wow to this if they are going to have to pay 2-3 times as much. Too bad looks great but not even worth a look to me with pricing like that.
    I looked into this, and it seems to me that the pricing is going to end up being about the same as WoW, just with time limits that are not very constrictive.

1-month card: 19,800 won (approximately 13.7 USD*), 300 hours for 30 days

3-month card: 47,520 won (approximately 32.9 USD), 900 hours for 90 days

3-hour card: 3000 won, (approximately 2 USD)

30-hour card: 12,000 won ((approximately 8.3 USD)

Basically about $14 for 300 hours in 1 month. That's 10 hours a day, every day. I doubt I would ever go over that.

Overpowered to the core! [AK]Bojan's Avatar
    I think its a Korean thing ( I get a message that comes up at 3 hours of game play and says, "You have been playing for three hours, please log off for you health."

As well I think its a tactic to stop gold farmers and bots.

Edit: Alsowhen I prepurchased I think I rember signing up for a monthly sub. $14.95 for 1 month no hour limitation that I remember reading.
    Last edited by [AK]Bojan; 08-17-2009 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Gunny Highway View Post
    It doesn't cost anymore to play then WoW unless you are a 10-hr a day, 7-day a week player. then pricing can be a factor. I see it as a fair pricing system.

I'm in if you guys are still playing in December. I see no time until then and Santa would have to buy me a computer capable of playing games again since I gave away my old gaming machine.
    So basically it will have to have a strong AK presence before I'll bite.

Kill them in the face! [AK?]Azmodious's Avatar
    hows this one looking? been thinking about finding something to taste while on my wow break.

Azmo - I had a blast playing Beta. It's a lot like WoW in that the UI and combat are similar, and questing is basically the same. It's very polished and the graphics are stunning.

I'll be playing casually just to have something other than WoW to do, but I have a feeling this one may suck me in!

From Aion's Facebook:

Within the next four weeks, we will treat European and North American gamers to two opportunities to jump into the world of Aion and explore Atreia as Asmodian or Elyos characters ahead of its release in Europe on 25nd September and North America 22th September. Aion's Open Beta Test featuring version 1.5 will take place 6-13th September and will include numerous Western enhancements, including improvements to Aion's innovative character customization with a host of Western styles, as well as new zones, instances, skills, quests and continued game balancing and improvements. Open Beta will retain a level cap for both Elyos and Asmodians characters at 30 allowing players to focus on getting to the same level so they can explore the lands of Atreia together, as well as the Abyss.

Players who have pre-ordered Aion will be treated to a Pre-Select and a two-day Headstart period giving them the opportunity to explore, organize and progress through the game prior to the official launch. Pre-Select will take place on 18th September, while Aion's Headstart will begin 20th September. Players can still participate in the Aion's Pre-Select and Headstart programs by pre-ordering the game through several participating online and brick-and-mortar retailers.
    "Try to walk a mile in a healer's sandals.
    That way, you'll be a mile ahead of them.
    And out of range for heals.
    And die.
    And blame it on them."
    ~Coreiel
    <WoW CM>

***Taking a small gaming break while I play the ultimate RTS...Parenthood***

Sweet, we get a beta with 1.5! Will the beta key we used for previous betas work for the open as well? I hope so!

I need to go ahead and pre-order - I was just going to get it off Steam, but I like the idea of getting in a day or two early and reserving my character name early.

Speaking of names, I always have a theme. My WoW toons were named after my favorite female movie characters. My Aion toons are going to be named after Joss Whedon's Dolls.