Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Play or Not to Play

To Play or Not to Play

Okay. So I will be getting a little money soon. Enough to be able to play a game that isn't free. (I've been playing Dungeons and Dragon's Online). The question is, Do you all think that AION is going to last? In other words. If I buy it, will it be a game that AK plays frequently, or is our time going to be wasted as we all head back for WoW? I've heard AION kinda plays similar to WoW, but that it's quest and storyline aren't quite fleshed out at this point. I understand that WoW has had more years to build a comprehensive story, but I'm curious as to how AION really is.

Help me out here. I'm desperate for information from the world i've been cut off from for 2 months.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Dance as though no one is watching you,
    Love as though you never been hurt before,
    Sing as though no one can hear you,
    Live as though heaven is on earth.
    -Souza

Kill them in the face! [AK?]Azmodious's Avatar
    I was in your same shoes, i havent played WoW in almost 2 months. I am actually going to get both set up. TBH though, I am really liking Aion. It is close enough to WoW to fill that niche, but different enough to be something new. The main mechanical aspect that i am worried about is it economy, but i havent played enough to make an educated speculation on it.

It is hard to tell until i see its version of "Raiding"

I have 2 toon slots left if you want to take one for a day or two and try it out to see what you think.
    Last edited by [AK?]Azmodious; 09-24-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Here's my reasoning for playing:

It's a fun MMO. Yes, it's a lot like WoW, and it's nothing so groundbreaking that it will blow your mind, but it's new and fresh, and the graphics are out of this world. It's a much smaller world and everything is on a smaller scale - 1 starting area per faction, everyone is basically following the exact same question path. There seems to be WAY less gear options at low levels (pretty much every chanter of my level that I see is wearing the exact same thing as me). But, it's still very, very fun. I've actually had a hard time pulling myself away to play WoW.

As to how long it will last - I think that all depends on what end-game has to bring. Being in a PvPvE type game is going to be very different I think. From what I gather, there is a much smaller focus on grinding PVE raids than in WoW, and frankly, I like that. It's getting harder and harder for me to enjoy spending 3-4 hours in the same dungeon week after week. Knowing that I will be able to log on, partake in some good ole Elyos butt-whooping, and maybe run a small dungeon appeals to me at this point.

I won't be around my computer for most of tomorrow night, so I'll make the same offer as Azmo - you are welcome to create a toon on my account give her a spin for the evening to see if it holds your interest at all.

Edit: Oh, and as far as AK presence, it's better than it has been for some prevoius games. Right now there is myself, Rocks, Gunny, Chooz, Grakan, Mikel, Azmo, Kat, Valsu, Slaughter, and a few more coming.

Overpowered to the core! [AK]Bojan's Avatar
    I enjoy it, but cant speak for everyone.

Ive played Quake Wars with AK thought it was going to last a while and didnt.

Ive played L4D with AK thought it was going to last a while and didnt.

Ive played Conan with AK thought it was going to last a while but I couldnt take it.

Ive played.....well you get the picture.

I am so over wow its not funny, My account is still active and my daughter is messing around with it but I just cant get into it, and the new Xpac kind pisses me off since instead of something "new" which is what has brought me back everytime...its recycling the same shit I did 5 years ago with new graphics. Bleh

Ill just play Aion and log into vent to BS with wow friends if they dont wanna come hang.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

I'm coming over as soon as I stop seeing the posts saying "I'm going home for lunch to log in so that I'll be up in the queue when it's my evening gaming time."

I've read a lot today about the game. It does look interesting. First question, what faction are you all playing, second is has anyone picked a healer yet. As for the second question, I found that in MMO's I have really been liking to be a support class. In WoW, I really liked healing with my shaman this last year or so. In EvE, when I deign to PvP, I am a support ship (Sensor dampening and boosting). In Dungeons and Dragons Online I am a healer Cleric. It is the niche I most like. Second to that, I actually like being a tank, which in my mind is another support role. So if we are short healers or tanks, then i would be interested in playing those classes.

Let me know what you all think of this. From what I have read and seen about the game, I think it has a good chance of being a WoW Replacement. It has already been a strong game in Korea for a year, so I don't think it'll have the same issues as Warhammer, or Conan. That being that they were brand new and hit us like a ton of rocks, and then when the initial cool factor wore off, then we were left with a game we didn't like.
    -Souza

"I sharded Thunderfury!" [AK]Camelwalk's Avatar
    Im be there this weekend, my time is freeing up little and might have time to play more woot! Oh and Beta was blast and looks great, im excited about this one

Right now we have 1 of each class, by chance I believe. We are playing the Asmodian race (horde)

Your more than welcome to roll any class you like. We need them all.

Aion is fun its not a cruise control kind of game like wow, you really have to pay attention especially as a caster or you will die quick and often. I find the game to be a lot of fun when grouped with other AK, the solo grind is tough as you cant just kill anything and everything like in wow. The economy is rough hopefully that gets a little better with time though. You learn to not try things above your skill level as you lose xp when you die and you can buy it back when you res. Really enjoying this one though.

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!

Kill them in the face! [AK?]Azmodious's Avatar
    OMG Rangers are hard to play... Far from the huntard fashion in wow. I like how its not just point and spray.

So if I was to play, would you guys want me to tank or heal?
    -Souza

Administrator
    August Knights
    Assistant Recruiter

Quote Originally Posted by [AK?]Azalyn View Post
    Oh don't kid yourself, you'll be doing both and rolling on every drop for either anyway.

shush Clay. no comments from the peanut gallery. LOL.
    -Souza

To be honest at this point there isnt a "Need" for any specific class. Its too early to tell. From the sound of your last post somewhere or another you really enjoyed playing a healer, go ahead and do that, I would find it hard to believe there is ever a MMO where healers wont be needed or in short supply for end game PVE or PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK?]Azalyn View Post
    Here's my two cents.

If you really truly don't have a preference, go healer. We have at least 3 Templars right now, and only one Cleric. We do have 2 Chanters (I am one of them), but Chanters really can't be considered main healers - it's a bit like having a ret pally heal. Since a lot of this game (including endgame) focuses on PvP, I imagine healers are going to be more useful than tanks.

As a side note, if you do decide to roll a Cleric, be comforted by the fact that they are a ZILLION times easier to level than any healer in WoW. Clerics wear mail and use a mace and shield. They are very hard to kill and have enough DPS that questing is not a huge pain.