Thread: NetBooks - does anyone have one?

Administrator
    August Knights
    Assistant Recruiter

NetBooks - does anyone have one?

Title says it. Interested in these - price is right, and so is the size.

August Knights
    The old Man in the War [AK]Rocks's Avatar

I have one that my wife plays around with. Perfect for surfing the web and lite MS-office task. The lack of a dvd drive is a pain sometimes. I have a dell, but really like the ASUS brand.

I just purchased 2 ASUS Eee netbooks for my girls. 250g HD 1.6g Intel Atom processor, 1g ram ... Their smoking fast little laptops. I couldn't use it all the time due to the screen size but for under $300.00, It was perfect for the girls.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Hoolding out for an Apple iPad.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    My father bought one to use during my parent's annual Florida vacation. I set it up for him, and had about a month to spend with it. I was unimpressed with the speed and screen size. The lack of a DVD drive definitely is a pain. It's getting the job done for them now, but I wouldn't buy one for myself.

I've already got a 13 inch Macbook for couch surfing and the tech of the netbooks isn't impressive enough to interest me on a gadget geek level.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    Macbook's are a far better overall investment.

Just killed my old notebook due to an unfortunate coffee incident and an even worse clean up job. (Don't ask it's comical and sad.) So I went to SAMS and just bought a netbook. We'll see how it goes at least if I don't like it I can go to New Egg and buy a box for a real computer.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Brorlis View Post
    I just purchased 2 ASUS Eee netbooks for my girls. 250g HD 1.6g Intel Atom processor, 1g ram ... Their smoking fast little laptops. I couldn't use it all the time due to the screen size but for under $300.00, It was perfect for the girls.
    I completely agree with the above viewpoint. These netbooks were never intended to be used as a long term work station but more as a part time traveling companion and casual use. They are great for a road trip. Almost all hotels have wireless so at day's end you can make contact with the relatives or who ever else you were planning to make contact with, can then have an opportunity to dream up new excuses to avoid you. You can look up the best eateries and entertainment that happen to be nearby. Combine that with a GPS and you own the road. Just make sure you set your GPS to the fastest way rather than the shortest distance other wise you might endup in some very bad hillbilly country and become lost forever from civilization.

I have the original Acer 10 inch so it was around $350 with a 160g HD. HD's have dropped greatly in price. I would suggest avoiding the smaller 8 inch netbook as it's just too small. The 10 inch is compact yet you still have enough keyboard to type reasonably well on. Low cost neoprene zippered sleeves are readily available as well as compact wireless mice. No! I'm not part of the finger pad generation. The market is ever changing and costs continue to drop. As parts become more compact and technology changes, expect to eventually see a very thin DVD/CD drive, but there are lowball manufacturers that are not operating in your best interests and are willing to put out larger notebooks sans DVD drive with no warning. Buyer beware...

I dismiss the Apple comments as Apple is not competing in the Netbook competition and are not selling anything under $999 whereas we can buy a netbook for well under $300 and most of us have been long adjusted to crappy Windows. I have nothing against Apple and know they have the best operating system, but if they want to compete, bring it on! They could deviate from the Unix/Apple based to a more compact Linux/Apple trim down but I suspect they would never budge.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    They could deviate from the Unix/Apple based to a more compact Linux/Apple trim down but I suspect they would never budge.
    They could do a lot of things, but budget hardware is not their business.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Squidly View Post
    They could do a lot of things, but budget hardware is not their business.
    The whole point is, the netbooks are a convenient size, low priced, fast, and not a big heavy hassle to pack around. They fill a specialty niche that nothing else does. They are not something that one would want to work at all day long. They are popular for short term usage. Acer was one of the first to market, now everyone is marketing them. It appears that the majority here is in agreement. Amazing!
    Last edited by Moon; 03-16-2010 at 11:18 PM.