Thread: Need Help!

Need Help!

Alrighty, so I've got some issues with my video card drivers (I think)

I will try and explain the situation as best I can, and hopefully I can make some semblance of sense. One day I booted up my PC and and as soon as it booted to the main windows screen, all I got was a screen full of pixelated badness.

I boot into safe mode and everything works fine. I uninstall my video drivers (I've got an Nvidia 8800GT) and then boot into normal windows. Everything is showing up fine. This is how I am currently typing this, albeit in a large resolution. The problem is, even if I download the newest drivers (I have to go back into safe mode and uninstall the old ones they automatically install at startup, then reinstall the latest) it still goes to pixelated badness when it hits the home screen.

I'm just a little frustrated and hoping this all makes sense. I can't understand why everything works when the drivers are uninstalled, yet go to madness when I update with the newest drivers.

I'm clueless

Also, I posted this in the wrong forum. THE PIXELS ARE MESSING WITH MY BRAIN!

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Sure sounds like it could be a driver problem. You're talking about using the latest drivers directly from NVidia, right? I've seen the Microsoft ones do some funky things on NVidia cards here @ the office. If that doesn't work, try an earlier version of the NVidia drivers.

If it still gets garbled with all versions of the drivers installed, then there's most likely something wrong with your video card--the hardware that controls some advanced feature or other is malfunctioning. Swap it out for one you or a buddy has laying around and see if you have any better luck.

The info on this site may be a couple years old, but it is still pretty accurate for diagnosing video issues. My nVidia 8600GT died and it looked exactly like some of the graphics examples they show for failed GPU and onboard video memory. Hope this helps.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

I know that ATI has a robust driver cleaner utility to get rid of all their drivers to help you with a clean install. While NVDIA may have the same tool, this may be more hardware related.

Thanks for all the help guys! I went through this past weekend and tried to clean all of the Nvidia driver crap off my computer. Even with removing and installing new drivers I wasn't able to get a good startup.

Long story short, I got my new video card in the mail today and am back at 100%. Its nice to have my computer back