Thread: FightClub... Whats your opinion:

FightClub... Whats your opinion:

Unstoppable

Run-away train movie from Tony Scott.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    From the trailer: Over casted. Denzel Washington as a train conductor. Really? Seriously?

Also, too much crap on the tracks getting plowed into. I don't care how fast the thing is going, I counted at least 5 collisions or near misses. Stay off the damn tracks, people.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

"I sharded Thunderfury!" [AK]Camelwalk's Avatar
    Looks 2 "Hollywood"

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Squidly View Post
    From the trailer: Over casted. Denzel Washington as a train conductor. Really? Seriously?

Also, too much crap on the tracks getting plowed into. I don't care how fast the thing is going, I counted at least 5 collisions or near misses. Stay off the damn tracks, people.
    You would be extreamly surprised at how many near misses we have a day. People are really retarded when it comes to trains. I have hit 3 cars in 6 years. I hardly ever work over the road. I mostly stay in the yards so my odds are very low. We hit cars all the time.
    Lucky for for me I haven't had a fatality yet. I will but havnt yet. But we usually have multiple fatalities every week in the bay area. It is the #1 suicide. Last week we had a guy sit in the tracks with his back to the on coming train and put a blanket over his head. Dead instantly. They had to find his head which they finally did. Whats wierd is this happens so much and rarely makes the news.

I have many of those stories.

As for the movie? Its VERY Hollywood! They stop the train. The end
    Just kidding.

Trains have a Huge air hose through out every car and locomotive. The minute the air is exhausted (emergency button is hit, train exceeds 70 mph or a separation), all brakes on every car are applied and power is cut from locomotives (brakes dont release till there is enough air to release them so you cant move without air). Now this is suppose to be a very basic fail safe and does work.

Only stipulation is high grade territory. When a train is going down hill on grade and the brakes cant stop the momentum of the weight. Thats when you see me jumping from a moving train!!!! It does happen but the train will stop eventually but if it hits a corner its derailment time. 3 years ago we had a work train with 10 guys working on it loose its brakes (brakes wouldnt stop it) and derailed killing 6 of the 10 guys because it hit a 20 mph rated corner at 55 mph. Cars came off the tracks smashing most of them. Well killed the guys that didnt jump.

This movie will be interesting to see but I'm curious as to why they cant stop it. Blow the air and it will stop.. its based on a true story though. I know it will be disapointing becouse Ill pick the movie to death with hollywood holes with reality.
    Last edited by [AK]FiGHT*CLuB; 08-08-2010 at 09:24 AM.

I also forgot to include that for the engine to stay running the engineer has to hit a button called a alerter every 60 to 90 seconds. (prevents accidents with engineers falling asleep). Its loud as hell If it is not pushed. The train will then go into emergency (exhausts all its air setting up all brakes) and comes to a complete stop before you can start pumping up your air again to release the brakes and go. Man I'm going to pick this movie apart! lol...

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Yeah I understand that trains hit cars all the time. When I commuted from Long Island to Manhattan for a couple years, the various trains I was in hit 3 vehicles.

But one train hitting 4-5 cars with massive explosions and continuing on? Well...
    The sun has fallen down

Ya, what does it take to derail a big heavy train? I mean, I can see it plowing through a car or two but eventually something is going to slip it off the tracks, right?

Usually its just weight or momentum that derails a train. You have 8000 to 10,000 TONS on a rail moving at 70 MPH, good luck stopping it. Only way is the track brakes and crash... Example is a shape corner.. or the rail folds. Thats why it usually takes us over a mile to stop a train going that fast with full brakes applied.

When were on a route, there is very strict speeds for every section of track through that route. The rail is only rated for so much pounds per inch so say this corner we can go 30mph but the next one we can only go 15mph. You exceed that then the rail will break and your in the dirt hard...

When we hit cars trucks livestock exc, we usually plow right through them like butter. Those hits you saw on the preview are pretty accurate surprisingly.
    Last edited by [AK]FiGHT*CLuB; 08-09-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

So how many 4-5 vehicle hit days you had lately?
    The sun has fallen down

The movie looks pretty terrible. I guess Rosario is pretty hard up for work these days.

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    So what does all this mean? Is Chris Pine smarter then a 5th grader? :-)