Thread: WinXP causing reboots

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar

WinXP causing reboots

Well I made teh jumpt to WinXP over teh weekend. Upgrade went without a hitch. Loaded the latest Nvidia drivers and got the latest patches from Windows Update.

One problem - periodically my system will simply reboot when I'm in playing DAoC. I havent noticed the problem when surfing or in Tribes2 (although I havent played an extended time in T2 under XP).

I'm thinking about getting the latest VIA All-in-one drivers although on their website it says XP users shouldn't need to install them unless they are having problems. (I guess I qualify.)

Other than that can you guys think of anything else? Anyone else experiencing problems like this?

Thanks!
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

did you do a truely clean install, by formatting the computer and installing xp from dos? if not, upgrading from any other operating system will have its effects on you, unfortuently.

No, I upgraded on the advice of others. Only thing giving me a headache is DA0C. Played Tribes2 last night for over 2 hours flawlessly.

I noticed that DAoC does not officially run on 2000/XP. Anyone having similar problems with DAoC?
    [AK]Bribo

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Bribo,

I think the best thing is to do a full install. While it may be a headache now, it will surely pay off in the end. Your computer will have a lot less extraneous crap sitting around from the old OS, programs will run smoother ... and life will be grand. Just suck it up, back up your essential drivers and upgrades, bit the bullet and wipe C: clean. Look at me - I've done it twice in the past four days (had a virus problem) and I'm still going strong. :-)

[AK]Abaddon
    [AK]Abaddon

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

Bribo, I installed XP onto a formatted drive, and I've been having the same problems, so your method of installation has nothing to do with it. I think it's video drivers. When I was using Detonator 21.81 (the last official release), my system would reboot when I shut DAoC down. So, I upgraded to 22.80 (the latest beta), and the spontaneous reboots while playing DAoC started (with disastrous results for my character). Then, I downgraded to 21.88, and it's been smooth sailing.

How do I downgrade to 21.88? Do I simply download the 21.88 and follow the install instructions? And where do I get the 21.88 drivers?

Thanks!
    [AK]Bribo

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

Yeah, just uninstall your current driver by going to Add or Remove Programs. You can get the 21.88 drivers at www.guru3d.com

Thanks, P. I'll try this tonight. Haven't had any of those "disasterous" situations with my DAoC character. Fortunately, every time it's happened I've just been running around with no nasties close by.

BTW, can someone "clan" me in DAoC so I can get the <August Knights> tag? thx!
    [AK]Bribo

Thanks for the 21.88 tip. I downgraded last night and had no problems at all with either DAoC or T2 all last night.
    [AK]Bribo