Thread: Problems...

Problems...

Ok, I'm building a computer for a guy, but I'm having a problem when I turn everything on..

When I turn everything on.. the screen is black.. which leads me to my question. With an unformated HD hooked up you should still get the CMOS on boot up, correct? and since I'm not getting it could it be the processor/motherboard... or only the motherboard?
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

I had the same problem last week. The AGP slot on my new motherboard was particularly tight, and little did I know that my GF2 card was not pushed in all the way. I took it out and put it back in several times, yet the monitor would not come on when booting. Finally, having given up, I took my CPU down to a comp repair place nearby that does free diagnostics. The guy broke open the case and pushed the video card in all the way. Voila! It worked, and I felt like an idiot. Give it a try.

If that doesn't work, slap a different video card in to see if it makes any difference. If you rule video card problems out, then it may be a faulty motherboard.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

After you rule out the video card, but before you give up on the motherboard, check to make sure the Reset CMOS jumper is not parked in the reset position. This will cause the system to appear not to POST, when in reality it's just resetting the CMOS every time you give it juice.