Thread: Question about Tribes 2 for those with home networks

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Question about Tribes 2 for those with home networks

OK, here's the deal: my better half has told me she wouldn't mind trying out some gaming with me. I have two computers in my apartment, wired by standard ethernet, with Internet Connection Sharing installed and operating on my 56K. So far, I haven't noticed any problems with using my newer box (which isn't wired directly into the phone line) as my gaming rig. How bad would it kill my connection to have two Tribes 2 clients sharing the connection? Is this possible (as they would share the IP as well)? Can I install and run one copy on two boxes simultaneously? Finally, would Tribes 2 even function acceptably on this rig:

PII-333, 128 MB RAM, 16 MB Voodoo 2?

Thanks guys! I'm fairly sure her rig in her dorm room isn't equipped to run Tribes--doesn't even have a 3D accelerator card. But it would sure be nice to combine "semi-together time" AND Tribes 2 time!

------------------
    [AK]The Beast
    "Get busy livin'...or get busy dyin'." -Tim Robbins, The Shawshank Redemption

The issue, unfortunately, isn't so much whether or not your dial-up would support multiple users; the question is whether or not ICS will support Tribes2. ICS is a SOCKS proxy server which generally requires plugins for specific services. No plugin, no passing of traffic through the proxy. I COULD be wrong on this, so correct me if I am. Secondly, the rig you have specified with be hard pressed to do T2. That Voodoo2 (which, BTW CANNOT have 16M of RAM...if it does, you do NOT have a V2...perhaps a V3, or a Voodoo Banshee) is your primary problem, the speed of your CPU is the second. Find a cheapo P3 500/600 (you might also need to pick up a Slot 1 to Socket converter) and a GF2 MX and you should be able to get by without some of the eye-candy.

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    <a href="http://www.augustknights.com" target="_blank">AugustKnights.com</a> WizOp

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

ColorLightbulb

No idea about Tribes but I know Everquest runs fine through ICS

I have seen 3 people who played together quite a bit in EQ on a Dial-up line using Internet Connection Sharing. Thing is if they all zoned together at least one of 'em was going to drop

Tribes may be different as the networking code may still be a little rough. As Zorro said, the box will not run Tribes. As you may have seen my box has better specs than that one and a Voodoo 5 with HORRID (so very horrid) framerates.

I did a framerate counter last night, by the way. I get close to 70fps inside, alone, with no one else in game. Outside I fluctuate between 15-30fps with jumps over 40fps for no apparent reason. Now if I next to damage equipment, say a turret or vehicle my frame rate drops to 1-5 fps (no kidding, one to five frames per second). This means I am hard pressed to be a vehicle driver at this time even though I love to drive 'em. These framerate tests were done on an empty server. Cut the numbers in half if more than 10 people are on a server and call it desktop wallpaper when a heated battle starts cause it aint moving on my screen.

peace,
    [AK]Widowmaker

psst, we should make use of the Tribes 2 forum for these things

actually, voodoo2's could have 16mb memory if they're in sli. remember that? get two identical v2's and cable 'em together for even better performance!

wolff

Okay, fine, if you have TWO 8MB V2's you can have a total of 16M... sheesh...

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    <a href="http://www.augustknights.com" target="_blank">AugustKnights.com</a> WizOp

i'm mommy's little

I thought after the latest T2 patches that you need a copy in each machine you play it on?From what I understand, too many people were installing the game, then returning the CD for cash. So they stopped that. So was that touched upon? If so, I missed it. You would need 2 copies to run it on 2 machines, OR, one of those "backups" haxors are always talking about... Dont know if that helps.