Thread: Alternative to RW

August Knights

Alternative to RW

Microsoft just released the new GameVoice beta. I have been using this in the past and it is rock solid. No need to click to talk...it works great on voice activate. I tried out the RW last night with NR and he said I sounded ok but I could barley hear him. There are also some weird things with RW like some people can hear each other, but some can't hear anybody.

Since it is a free download and works with exsisting hardware (you can pick up the base station if you want to do voice commands) I say we might give it a try. I know it works great through T2 since me and a couple of other guys use it extensivly.

Dunno just something else to try out till we find a good comm package everyone can use.

-Goob

Dink Dink
    I don't know anything about that microsoft program, but I do know I have had pretty good success with BattleCom over at http://www.shadowfactor.com/

On that list of what was changed with the latest patch, there was something about the in game voice thing. Has anyone tried it since then? I still don't even know if mine is working, I do the test and everything and I hear my playback, but I still get the two red crossed out circles when playing.

------------------
    pixelsponge
    (I am going back to this nick and it is final I promiss)

[This message has been edited by Dink Dink (edited 04-25-2001).]

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

ColorLightbulb

I personaly can not stand voice recognition, I end up hearing everything that is going on at the persons house. Also you hear peoples coughs, or if something drops, etc... Just my personal opinion. I prefer voice com being more like a CB radio, press a button to talk. Might be just me but that is the way I like it. I don't do speakerphones either.

I have had 0 problems with Roger Wilco. The people I EQ with have 0 problems with Roger Wilco. Always make sure you have the latest version (mk 1c mod 1) and run it at high CPU priority (will not make any framerate differences unless you are running a 486).

But as I have said before I care not what we use as long as it works for everyone. Tribes 2 voice com does not work for everyone, I can attest to that.

peace,
    [AK]Widowmaker

I have RW, BC and GV (hardware) and it is a toss up between RW and GV. If everyone has GV h/w then GV is better otherwise I think RW is better.

TD