Thread: Well, I'm at my wit's end.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Angry Well, I'm at my wit's end.

I determined definitively that I fried my motherboard and processor due to the failure of the CPU fan (the motherboard decided not to give it any power). Over the last week (and at greater expense to myself than I had hoped), I've replaced the power supply, motherboard (with a Gigabyte GA-7ZXE), processor (Athlon T-bird 1.1 ghz), and RAM (very specific about being sure it was 3.3V, since the mobo manual seemed to emphasize it a lot). I've got everything plugged in and hooked up, but the damn thing still won't POST. I've brought my video card over from my working machine, no dice. I brought home a known good PCI video card from work, and still nothing, so it's not the AGP slot. I swapped in the hard drive from my working system; still nothing. Anyone have any ideas before I completely lose it and introduce Mr. Computer to Mr. 5-iron?

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Do you have any other cards plugged in? Have you re-seated them?

Have you removed and re-seated the memory modules? How many memory modules do you have? Have your tried swapping those out?
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Currently, I'm running a single DIMM. Tried all three slots, as well as all three of my old DIMMs (one at a time), so I don't think that's it. I've pulled most of the cards, but pulling them all except the GF2 is now at the top of my list of things to do tonight.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Well, that wasn't it. Even with all the cards pulled save the video, no POST. Seriously aggravating.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Sure you've got the voltage set right for the CPU? I fried a CPU years ago because it put too many volts to it. The vid card screen came up briefly then.... nothing.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

You got the PC Speaker hooked up so you can hear the tell-tale beeps? If it doesn't beep, then something's awry with the CPU. Check to be sure that the CPU is all the way seated. Be sure that you have the CPU fan plugged into the correct MB header (some boards won't turn on if the CPU fan isn't plugged in with an acceptable RPM). Check the MB ATX power connection. Last but not least, unplug every unnecessary peripheral in the system (HDs, FDD, CD, network card, etc.), just the CPU, video, and RAM and see what happens. I had a problem once where I had the IDE cable turned around backwards on my HD and the system wouldn't power up. HTH.
    [AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    AugustKnights.com WizOp

if we aren't supposed to eat animals,
    then why are they made out of meat?

unitedwestand

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Thanks, guys, for all your help; I'm typing this post on my gaming box, which is once again functional. Zorro's mention of the beeps got me thinking about the sick sound coming from my PC's speaker with the old mobo/processor combo, and it turns out I only fried the processor--the motherboard is fine. I don't know what the heck was wrong with that other motherboard, but I can return it to the store for a full refund (part of which I'll spend on an additional rear exhaust fan for my case). Word to the wise: don't buy "Gigabyte" motherboards. The upshot is that for about $150 total, I've upgraded from 900 mhz to 1.1 ghz in the processor department, and from 320 MB of RAM to 512 MB. Look for me at practice tomorrow....provided I have enough domestic tranquility points