Thread: An Introduction from Leonidas

An Introduction from Leonidas

Hello, August Knights! I want to join your tribe.

I played T1 fanatically for six months in 1999. Toward the end of that period, I led a tribe into the top ten of the OGL League. My tribe disintegrated in the summer of 1999 due to a variety of factors. I learned a lot about Tribes strategy and tribe administration in my old tribe, and I hope to put that experience to work for AK.

I love strategy. The exciting part of Tribes is that with proper organization, a tribe can become more than the sum of its members' skills. I want to be part of a tribe that plays Tribes with careful planning and serious practice. I think AK will be that tribe. Sunday's practice session was very promising. Unfortunately, I will be very late to Wednesday practices for the next several weeks. I have a son due in August, and childbirth classes are on Wednesday nights.

I love to write about strategy. As soon as I get the opportunity, I look forward to participating in your strategy discussions. I like to write battle plans. I've been toying with some battle plans for the CTF maps, but with the game changing dramatically with each new patch, I'm holding off on serious map analysis until the game rules and maps become more settled. In the meantime, I'm devoting my attention to more general game analysis and experimentation, testing the exact interactions between the various game elements. Unfortunately, many experiments in T2 require two people, so if anyone else is experimentally inclined, let's meet up on the server some time and run some tests.

I'm also writing up some suggestions for competition Standard Operating Procedures that will be useful regardless of the map or the patch. For example: Use the tournament mode pre-game time to set waypoints to locations and people relevant to your assigned position. There is a script out that allows multiple waypoints to people. It could be very important in keeping an attacking force together.

In terms of my in-game preferences, I like to focus on objects rather than kill people. On defense this means I like to focus on deployment, and on offense I like to destroy gens, turrets, sensors, etc. I'm also pretty good in a Shrike. But I'm very flexible on this and don't really care what position I play. I prefer not to specialize, because my experience is that specialization accelerates burnout. Cross-training also improves performance overall. It always helps to get the other side's perspective.

No promises, but I may have the opportunity to get a T2 server for the tribe. I have a friend in Dallas who likes to buy hardware and bandwidth. He mentioned to me recently that he may have an opportunity to get a connection with enough upstream to run a good gaming server. He is toying with T2 himself, though I don't know if he would be serious enough to join a tribe. Stay tuned.

A note on the name. It's pronounced Lee-uhn-EYE-duhs, Leo or Leon for short. Leonidas was the Spartan commander at the battle of Thermopylae in 480 BC. It's the Alamo of the ancient world. Three hundred Spartans held off thousands of Persians in a narrow mountain pass for several days, giving the Greeks time to organize their forces. Eventually the Spartans were betrayed. The Persians found a path around the choke point and hit the Spartan position from both sides, killing them all.

Organize Aggressively,

Leonidas

[This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited 05-20-2001).]

ColorLightbulb

It was a pleasure working and playing with you last night and I hope to see more of you on the server. Congratulations on the expected one and by all means keep up the classes. The birth of my daughter was one of the most exhilarating experiences I've been involved with.
    Dr_K

Yes whole-hearted experience! Change your life! Good Luck with classes, and don't forget to breath!

[AK]NeverRetreat

They promise a movie of a live birth for the next class. I may skip dinner.

Due in August, eh? A future August Knight? Sorry... it was too easy to just let slide... Leonidas, glad to have you aboard. I look forward to seeing you in action, oh, and thanks for the history lesson...

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    <a href="http://www.augustknights.com" target="_blank">AugustKnights.com</a> WizOp

Congrats on your expected one Leo. Ive also enjoyed gaming with you the last week, tho we havent spoke much.(Im usually too busy trying to keep u out of my base.-lol) Anyways, I also enjoy the strategic element of the game, and have wrote some battle plans in the past as well. Id be happy to help you test out any ideas, just say the word. Peace!

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    Hello, August Knights! I want to join your tribe.

I played T1 fanatically for six months in 1999. Toward the end of that period, I led a tribe into the top ten of the OGL League. My tribe disintegrated in the summer of 1999 due to a variety of factors. I learned a lot about Tribes strategy and tribe administration in my old tribe, and I hope to put that experience to work for AK.

...(snipped by editor)

A note on the name. It's pronounced Lee-uhn-EYE-duhs, Leo or Leon for short. Leonidas was the Spartan commander at the battle of Thermopylae in 480 BC. It's the Alamo of the ancient world. Three hundred Spartans held off thousands of Persians in a narrow mountain pass for several days, giving the Greeks time to organize their forces. Eventually the Spartans were betrayed. The Persians found a path around the choke point and hit the Spartan position from both sides, killing them all.

Organize Aggressively,

Leonidas
    Leo, it seems your time has come... only took 5-6 years!

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Hearing great things about the 300 movie.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.