Thread: XXX spam

XXX spam

Hey man I swear I behave on this computer...most of the time hehe. Somehow I'm getting these emails about rape, bestiality, and incest which I'm not down with. I keep clicking on the unsubscribe stuff but it doesn't seem to register. I'm sure they are from the same company. Any idea how to get rid of these. My girl is thinking I'm more perverted than usual......

Must be something with Ohio.. I got one in my ak.com account yesterday.. BTW, Z.. you may want to take a look at a tony ro something like that @l337hosting.blah(something I don't remember).com or vise versa.. it was actually sent to that address, and I ended up getting it..
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

I was talking my favorite sys admin at work about spam just the other day, and he recommends NOT submitting your email through any spammer's opt out form. All that does is tell them that you took the time to scan through the email to find the opt out link, and therefore, they will probably just send you more junk and sell your email address to more third parties. Spam is one of my least favorite things in the world, and I get tons of it daily (my AK account, which I have never given out, is essentially a spam repository, and my Hotmail account is utterly ridiculous), but I'm afraid that there's not a hell of a lot that we can do about it short of blocking all incoming email unless it is from specified people. Fortunately, there are organizations out there trying to stop spam (like SpamCop), but it seems as though it may be a lost cause.

You'd be surprised at how much spam gets blocked at the email gateways... A quick check of the logs for just today reveals 53 attempts to spam our servers that got blocked by the real-time black list that I use... It doesn't catch everything, but it does catch alot... At one point after I just turned on the RBL, I was actually spam-free in my AK account for a couple of days... It was nice... Basically, an RBL is a database that stores lists of known spammers and open relays on the Internet (which spammers can use to bounce messages around the Internet anonymously). Unfortunately, these repositories require human input to report these culprits. So, if you want to do something that might actually stem the tide a bit, look at the email headers for the message in question. There'll likely be a line in the headers that looks something like:

Received: from websrvr2.lanservice.local (bdsl.66.13.201.178.gte.net [66.13.201.178] by mh0.l337hosting.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 60B654080

For August Knights and other L337Hosting-hosted email, you'll want to look for the second "Received" tag in the headers; the first one listed will be the relay that occurred with the message from the primary mail hubs (mh0.l337hosting.com and mh1.l337hosting.com) to the Netscape Messaging Servers (ancalagon.l337hosting.com). In any case, if you email relays@relays.osirusoft.com with the IP address of the "from" server in the body of the message, that spamhaus will be tagged for testing. If the spamhaus in question is reported 3 times in a day, it will be tagged as an evil spamming site and be blocked forever more.

In the mean time, I'll check around and see if I can find a tougher RBL that will block spam more effectively. Sorry for all the hassles...
    [AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    AugustKnights.com WizOp

if we aren't supposed to eat animals,
    then why are they made out of meat?

unitedwestand

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Originally posted by [AK]Badwill
    Hey man I swear I behave on this computer...most of the time hehe. Somehow I'm getting these emails about rape, bestiality, and incest which I'm not down with. I keep clicking on the unsubscribe stuff but it doesn't seem to register. I'm sure they are from the same company. Any idea how to get rid of these. My girl is thinking I'm more perverted than usual......
    Never respond to "opt outs" from spammers. Legit companies are one thing,
    spammers on the other hand will use your response as verification that there is someone "alive" at the other end - and more will be forthcoming.

Get some good spam blocking software, and cultivate your block list. Obfuscate your email address if you post on Usenet.

You won't do away with spam 100%, but you'll reduce it.

Finally, come up with a spam email account (hotmail works great) and use that when you register on websites for something.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

Shades

I dunno how helpful this will be, but I whipped together a little web page that will allow you to report a spammer to the relays@relays.osirusoft.com email address. It's a little on the slow side because, well, all mailforms are...

http://www.augustknights.com/spam.html
    [AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    AugustKnights.com WizOp

if we aren't supposed to eat animals,
    then why are they made out of meat?

unitedwestand