Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with joysticks

Help with joysticks

Ok, I know Zorro uses a joystick to fly, and anyone else who does, I'd love your input.

Ok, whoever designed the interface for the game needs to be hurt. I think the solution for the interface for any online game is simple: COPY TRIBES 2. Tribes 2 did it to perfection. But not only does the sensitivity not go high enough(I had to set common so high the mouse FLYS across the screen, and air at max, and its still sluggish) but there are not seperate sliders for y and x axis, which is a must.

So I might use a joystick, but I dunno how I'm gonna do it. I got large desk for the computer but I dunno where I'm gonna put my joystick where its in eay reach. I can't just witch it with mouse every time I hop in a plane, thats too much trouble- I'd get shot down while parachuting if I was busy witching my mouse back to its posistion. What do you guys do?

for the complaints about the interface, i'll agree there. this game, as fun as it is, sucks on the technical side. considering the game's powered by a new engine (i kept thinking it was using the quake 3 engine for the longest time), i can understand that they don't quite know how to do everything, but i certainly hope an upcoming patch will make some good additions.

i use a sidewinder force feedback pro joystick for flying. my joystick's placed above my mouse. my keyboard and mouse are on a sliding panel below my desktop, and the joystick's to the right of the monitor on the actual desktop, since i'm right-handed. i binded my alternate keys for exit/enter vehicle and parachute on the third and fourth buttons, respectively. this way, when i'm getting shot down, i can bail out and snap the parachute. as the parachute opens, i simply move back to the mouse and go from there.

i don't think tribes 2 did it to perfection at all. when i played, i used sensitivity scripts in order to get an acceptable output. one of the many reasons why i stopped playing it and went back to the original tribes. guess you could call me one of those die-hard veterans that hangs out with the other vets at tribalwar.

Ah. That doesn't work for me, cause of the way my speakers are set up. My keyboard is on the right side of its slider thing, cause if I moved it to the left I'd have to move the monitor, and if I did that the left speaker would be pushed off the desk. So am I stuck not being able to fly planes? People tell me I'm just"Not good" but thats not true- I have the skill, just not the means to channel or develop that skill.

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

Shades

My Joystick is hurting. And not just when I pee.

It is off center and now it won't let itself be configured back to center. It also makes clicking noises when I move it now so something mechanical broke in there. Damn thing was many years old (Sidewinder Precision Pro... the first one).

I need a new one and will get it next month. For now I am using ye olde Keyboard and Mouse and it is working for me though I don't look smooth in the air I can hold my own.

I read on the Battlefield/CE comunity board that EACoolpiggy (an EA quality tester) was saying that DICE prefers just using the keyboard over all other controls (including Joysticks). They use the arrow keys for pitch and roll. I think I'll give that a try next time I load up the game. I am getting sick of single player but till ATT pulls their collective heads out my ping fluctuates so much online play on the best of servers is bad.

I had no problems with the interface for setting controls and the mouse moves fast enough for me, but that is a preference type of thing.
    City of Villains, the Justice server.

Electrosmasher, level 36 Electric Melee/Electric Armor Brute
    Atomstrike, Level 35 Radiation corruptor
    Crimson Razor, Level 35 Ninja blade/Ninja Reflexes Stalker
    Devia, level 26 Psionic/Psychic Blast Dominator

"Would you use your powers for Good or for Awsome?" - Strong Bad

[AK]Widowmaker

Shades

Speaking of flying...

Oh, and did I mention I got every single one of those kills with a BF-109? Too bad they only count personnel deaths because many a tank driver and pilot bailed from their vehicle prior to me finishing the job... Oh, and Palooka, I'm a triple ace from that game alone, with 4 B-17 kills...
    [AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    AugustKnights.com WizOp

if we aren't supposed to eat animals,
    then why are they made out of meat?

unitedwestand

I know DICE prefers keyboard, but keyboard lacks subtleties, you can't dogfight with it or anything, you always overshoot. It sucks. I'll use mouse for now but I keep crashing cause I can't pull up with it. Where do you posistion your joystick, Zorro?

And Widowmaker, I can get you a Sidwinder Precision Pro 2Joystick from the company store for $25 or $30 plus shipping, so if thats cheaper then your local store I'd be happy to do that for ya.

Thanks Aerothorn, I'll check on it. I think 30-40 bucks is what most stores charge for them. I am just not spending any money on entertainment at the moment just as a precaution (car repair bill hurts).

Not a big deal to me. While I do OK in the sky most of my success is in a tank anyway.

But I would sure love a joystick for the B17!

[AK]Widowmaker

Ah ok. When it came out they were a lot more and it was a real deal. Lemme cheack the company store for prices.

Nope! It's $20! Dunno what shipping will be though- joysticks are big pieces of hardware so it could be anywhere from $6-$10.

Shades

Check out our locations

If it came down to it I could just drive and get it most likely.

[AK]Widowmaker

Easier to show you than to tell you...

(Man, what a friggin mess!)
    [AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    AugustKnights.com WizOp

unitedwestand

Ahh.. nice mess Z also like thos Klipsch speakers?... but are they thx certified like mine? (Logitech z-560) Probably knowing you and your computers..
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

See the little gold half of the emblem on the speaker? That's the bit that says "THX".
    [AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    AugustKnights.com WizOp

unitedwestand

Shades

I don't realy care for those new throttles on the Precision 2's. But I am sure they are functional.

[AK]Widowmaker

ahh yes, now I remember.. How are those speakers? Pretty good I'd imagine.. even better than mine if they are 5.1.. but I'm guessing 4.1, would I be correct in that presumption?
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.