Thread: And the dumbass award goes to .....

August Knights

And the dumbass award goes to .....

ME

It all started out innocently enuff. I was going to upgrade my processor and get a new cooler orb heatsink. I knew I was in for trouble when I had problems with the initial order and then the delivery got screwed up. So I get my nice new heatsink and 1.2 GHZ processor (the 133 kind that overclocks like a bigdog) and I start to go to work.......

The heatsink is a little too big for my motherboard so I "modified" it a little by spreading a couple of fins out of the way to clear the capacitors that sit right next to the socket. Well to get it in I had to do two things rock the heatsink in and use a little wedge (small screwdriver) to get it seated right. Well as I rock the heatsink in I hear a little "crunch" sound....kinda like grinding glass. I get kinda startled then the screwdriver slipped out of place.

WELL the grinding was me breaking off the corner of my processor and the screwdriver slipped right into the motherboard breaking 3-4 traces while putting a nice gouge in the board. YIPPEE. I just dumbassed my way out of 350 bucks. SO now I have to buy these things over again to get my pc back up to normal speed. God I was soooooo pissed off. I have NEVER done anything like that in the 30 pc's I have built in the past.

Right now I am on a diff system so I at least have access, but Gaming might be a problem. I am going to try and bastard my self a pc with the parts I have. Hopefully I can get something decent till Goliath->(my pc) gets back to norm. Hmmm maybe I will go the DDR route now???

-Goob

[This message has been edited by [AK]Goob (edited 05-05-2001).]

Poor Gooby... I can honestly say that I've never broken anything that I couldn't claim stupidity on and get a replacement part for free... "I dunno... it didn't boot up when I got it..." That sucks, though, man... I would be most pissed off...

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    <a href="http://www.augustknights.com" target="_blank">AugustKnights.com</a> WizOp

Talking

Argh! I can relate! Boy, how I can!

[AK]NeverRetreat

I just love this topic...

Talking

I wired my CPU wrong once and promptly fried it. Nothing worse than powering on your new PC for the first time and seeing the monitor flash ever so quickly then blackness. Thankfully, the vendor took it back.

BTW, I ordered a new PC from Alienware a few months back and had a very good experience with them. Anyone looking for a pre-built gaming machine should check them out.

And the Winner this week is................NR

Okay, family comes to visit staying in our home. Have 5 kids in close quarters plus a 7month old beagle. So I'm looking for things to do that put some distance between me and the noise that is constantly at high volume.

Saturday morning have my cup of java and fill the mower up for a brisk am stroll thru my yard. I head out from the garage towards the front yard, make my first cuts along the driveway turn and cut along the street. At this point I'm heading for the side of the house that has my cable...heh

I've cut this yard for almost 8 years and never had a problem with this cable. Not today...went right up to it and mowed into several pieces. After finishing the yard and mentally kicking myself for the next 40 minutes I reviewed the damage. I cut it about 8 inches from the ground. It looks as though I've got enough cable to splice it back together. Run to Home Depot buy crimping tool, inline splice and connectors. Head back and proceed to put it back together. As I'm stripping back insulation on cable I start noticing the nicks...several of them. Fortunate for me I sell heat shrink. I slide 2 6" pieces on do my splicing, crimping and heatshrink almost a foot and a half of cable to seal all the cuts up. Everything is working again. Kids are happy, mom is happy and I'm happy.

I head into my office to cool down and fire up the computer. Yeap its working, get my messages, check boards and decide to fire up T2. I check in on aYg server to say hi to some friends. Next thing I know I'm playing a map. Couple minutes into the map and my keyboard starts acting funny. I just grabbed the flag and BAM! I can't move, W key isn't working. None of my keys are but jet on mouse works. I'm getting mad about the same time they attack me and return the flag. I grab my mouse throw it at a pillow on the floor next to me. Mouse lands peacefully on pillow but the battery flies out and hits the light switch on the wall breaking the wallplate and shorts out the switch.

At this point, I decided to shut off computer and talk a nap...

Shades

Yehhh...

Sometimes your the dog and sometimes your the hydrant.