Thread: nForce 2

El Sancho Panza

nForce 2

When is the Due date on this puppy? I understand is a Chipset. on what mobo's will the be available? anyone knows about the price?

Im going to buy another computer sooner or later (i was going to do it in 1 month from now) but with computers timing is everything, i don't want the coolest, newest, fastest money can buy, because i dont have it, but a very scalable system, that i do want.

My current setup is

Intel 1.6 Ghz
    512 Mb PC133 RAM
    Aopen GF3 Ti 200
    Integrated Sound Card
    LinkSys 10/100 LAN Card
    80 Gb HDD
    CDRW 16x/10x/40x

Does SCSI improve a lot the performance of the machine, i have access to exchange my U2W SCSI Controller for a SCSI 3 (160 Mb/s) but i need to get a drive, is it worth it?

Wow... lotsa questions...

First, the rumor mill has it that nF2-based motherboards should be available by Christmas. Prices on these will, of course, depend upon what feature you opt to purchase. I would suspect that the ground floor model would come in at $150 at the commencement of retail availability.

In regards to your question about SCSI, generally, you will only see a noticable performance difference in applications where tons of non-sequential reads take place, i.e. relational databases and file servers. In most other cases, data is read from the drive in straight blocks (due to the fact that all of us regularly defrag our hardrives, right?) and you wouldn't really notice much of an improvement. Obviously, the 160MB throughput of SCSI3 is faster than most anything else out there these days, so it's potentially possible that you could see a further pay-off from the faster bus. Unfortunately, the P2P ratio of SCSI vs. EIDE is pretty bad. You generally will have to pay as much as 8x as much for 1.5x the performance...
    [AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    AugustKnights.com WizOp

if we aren't supposed to eat animals,
    then why are they made out of meat?

unitedwestand