slaughter@augustknights.com
    'The slaughter fest has begun, punk.'

Slautganken - Lvl 15 Human Paladin
    Slaughterin - Lvl 5 Barbarian Warrior
    Slaughtarol - Lvl 7 Iskar Monk
    Ozumar - Lvl 2 Wood Elf Druid
    Moonika - Lvl 3 High Elf Enchanter

August Knights

600mb coming from Europe on overclogged servers is killer for broadband.

[AK]Jackle

lol.. true, true.. why don't you use the fileplanet mirrors?

------------------
    [AK]Slaughter
    slaughter@augustknights.com
    'The slaughter fest has begun, punk.'

Slautganken - Lvl 15 Human Paladin
    Slaughterin - Lvl 5 Barbarian Warrior
    Slaughtarol - Lvl 7 Iskar Monk
    Ozumar - Lvl 2 Wood Elf Druid
    Moonika - Lvl 3 High Elf Enchanter

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

Well, I have the game downloaded and installed, but I can't connect to the server that allows you to choose your dimension, so the game is unplayable for me. What a big surprise.

------------------
    [AK]Palooka
    August Knights Chief of Staff
    AK Webmaster

I finally got the file also, only got a chance to play for a few minutes before work today. The game looks pretty sweet. And I have myone apartment and everything, its pretty big too.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

So you obviously didn't get the dimension server error. I wonder why I do?

------------------
    [AK]Palooka
    AK Webmaster

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

Woohoo, I got it running, and it does, indeed look SWEET! I fixed the dimension server problem by creating a text file called Dimensions in the \cd_image\data\launcher directory with the following contents:

# This file holds all the timelines available at this time.
    # All lines starting with # is ignored by parser...
    #

STARTINFO
    description = US Live Server
    connect = lh.d1.funcom.com
    ports = 7500
    url = http://www.anarchy-online.com/commun...ges/index.html
    version = 11.1
    ENDINFO

------------------
    [AK]Palooka
    AK Webmaster

Okay I am new at this game and I expected to suck and everything, (it was the same way when I played Ultima online) but damn right now I am pretty confused on what I am supposed to be doing. I finally killed something last night after dying about 30 times from these cute little swamp rat things, so I am atleast feeling a little better. The grpahics still kick ass, I can't wait to get to lvl 4 and get out of the newbie zone and really explore the whole landscape. The manual for this game better be the size of a book or something, because I am pretty good at figuring these kinds of games out and its still taking me time. For the more casual gamer, I think the game will just totally confuse them. Of course I think I am taking the hard road, my first character is the nano dude, which I can just tell will be the most powerful in the game but hardest to build up.

Also I might be farther along if the servers didn't come down every ten minutes. But it is beta and I am not paying a dime, so I can't really complain about that. I am just glad I won't be a total newbie when the game officially comes out on the 27th.

[AK]Pixelsponge

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

Yeah, I'm a nano technician, as well. They seem to be the wizards of AO. He's half way through level 3 right now. Almost ready to go into the city. His name is Xearic, by the way.

------------------
    [AK]Palooka
    AK Webmaster

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

Here are some hints and tips to get you started (all from my own experience thus far):

1. Use the hotkeys for your programs (spells). After scribing (or whatever it's called) your programs (by right-clicking them in your inventory), left click on them and drop them in that panel at the top of your screen. Then, you just hit 1 on your keyboard to activate the first program. Just like EQ.

2. Kill liberally to level in Holoworld. Leets (little animals that say things like "I OWNZ JOO", etc.) make good newbie fodder. If you're a nanotechnician, use your first nuke over and over while firing your pitiful pistol.

3. Another way to level and get cash is to do missions. When you zone out of Holoworld, you will find the mission machine. The first mission I went on went unaccomplished, since I couldn't find the person I was supposed to find, but I got quite a bit of experience killing stuff in the mission zone, and I got some decent loot, including two pieces of clothing.

Oh, don't use the machine nearest the pool of water near the mission machine. It will take your money and heal you for 1000 points (dumb, considering that nanotechnicians like myself start with 25 hitpoints). I lost over half my money (250 credits) that way.

4. Here is an important one. USE YOUR IP POINTS! Click on the skills button at the bottom of the screen and advance all the skills that you are interested in. You always have enough points to max out most of your skills. I always have 1000 points left over in every level. The only skills I don't max out are skills that I know I will most likely never use, such as melee skills and most of the trade skills (I am advancing myself in the pharamaceutical trade skill so that I can make first aid kits to heal me).

Don't worry if you started advancing your skills late; you can still max out any skill for your level. I didn't advance any of my skills in level 1, but I maxed all the skills that I need at level 2. This helped A GREAT DEAL. Maxing my intelligence and nanopool greatly increased my spell casting ability. I became a newbie monster killing machine!

5. If you die, don't worry! In early levels, you just lose points in your skills for a few minutes (like rez affect in EQ). For everyone, no matter what level, going to loot your corpse is not necessary (although you can, if you get to your corpse in 60 seconds or less). There are reclaim stations where all your lost items will be 60 seconds after you die. VERY handy.

6. Sell all the crap you get from monsters to make money.

7. If you are a nanotechinican, or any other caster type, BUY A NANORECHARGER (or whatever they are called). Just go to the shop termical in Holoworld (the newbie zone if you are an Omni), and look for the items that recharges your nano pool. The items costs somewhere around 250 credits, and has 50(!) charges. When used in conjunction with the starter treatment kit that you get, you will have NO DOWNTIME whatsoever. Then you can just kill kill kill and level like crazy.

8. Once you reach level 4, get out of Holoworld and go to the city. Once you are in, if you go around the corner to your left, you will see stores. Go to the general store, and enter the nano area. Find the shop terminal that corresponds with your class, and buy all the nanoprograms that you can at your level. They aren't cheap, so make sure you have a lot of credits. To find out which programs you can use at your level, just check the Quality Level for each one. "Quality Level: 3" means that you have to be level 3 to use it. That goes for any other items that you find.

-----------

Well, that's all that I can think of for now. Have fun!

------------------
    [AK]Palooka
    AK Webmaster

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

ColorLightbulb

This game is looking realy awsome to me. I showed some of my friends from work some info sites on the game and they are SOLD! They watched the little demo promo movie and loved it. They were realy looking forward to Shadowbane but getting out of the fantasy mainline sounds good to them (and me). I will be buying this on the 27'th even if it aint playable for a few days (at least that is what I expect).

peace,
    [AK]Widowmaker

Ctrl-F8 is my savior. I was getting so annoyed with turning and the camera not sticking behind me, but with this little gem you can move the camera where ever you want then lock it there. This makes it so the camera always follows behind you like (this is the only example I can think of right now)Tomb Raider. I can see so much better now, and finding and targeting monsters has become much easier.

On a side note, I am now out of newbie ville now. The starting nutral city is pretty damn big, I got sort of lost a couple times. I didn't get much time to explore though because the server went down soon after I arrived.

Only two weeks until it hits the shelf. So it looks like I will be playing two games from now on.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

I think this may help you anarchists. It helped me!
    http://www.netsync.net/users/ren/aoguides.html

------------------
    [AK]Palooka
    AK Webmaster

I am sure once the game comes out officially the servers will run a lot smoother, but right now it is totally unplayable for me. I know its just beta, but because of this frustration I have decided not to buy the game when it hits shelves. To be honest, I don't really have time for another game, and this one is the type that sucks up all your time. Plus I will be going back to school in the fall, and that will be work enough. Tribes will be it for me for now.