Thread: DVD Support

El Sancho Panza

DVD Support

Hey guys my Mini-Home-Theather Project is running a-ok, the thing i want to do is doo a good job in my room so i can get a kick out of movies,games and other stuff.

Well right now i'm missing the two most important things i need to buy, a TV and a DVD.

Here is the catch, i need the DVD to play Region 1 and 4 DVD's, because i live in mexico we get good titles in Region 4 Format from time to time.

The thing is i was going to use my Xbox for DVD but it only plays Region #1, i need to buy a chip or some stuff like that, that i not going to do in the near future.

The next best thing is a DVD Drive, my only question is: Is it going to play Multi-Region DVD's, in a computer what makes a DVD select a region? Im lost. Is it a software thing or a hardware. or in computers it doesnt matter.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

I use an aging Toshiba DVD-ROM (6x DVD-ROM/32x CD-ROM) with a RealMagic Hollywood Plus decoder/TV output card as the centerpiece of my home theatre. The firmware on both pieces of hardware requires you to pick one region. You're only allowed to change it once over the life of the hardware; a second change requires you to flash the firmware (best-case scenario) or send it back to the company for a reset (worst-case scenario).