Thread: New system up and running

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

New system up and running

Hi guys ... I just finished troubleshooting my new system, and I am up and running in Battlefield 1942. It took me two weeks to figure out that I had a power supply problem which was causing random reboots. I replaced the 300 W supply which served my T-Bird with a 400 W CompUSA power supply.

My new specs:

Intel Pentium 2.0 gHz, Socket 478, overclocked to 2.6 gHz (FSB running at 133 mhZ)
    Geforce 3 Standard 64mb DDR
    512 mb of Rambus PC800 (now running at 1046) memory
    80 gig ATA 100 Western Digital Hard Drive
    Aopen AX4T II Motherboard (intel 850 chipset)
    Onboard sound (Realtec AC 97 Audio)

My CPU temperature, under full load in BF 1942, does not stray above 45 degrees Celsius.

My 3DMark scores are right around 8600. I am running Detonator 42.01 drivers, with Graphics processor speed of 220 and memory speed of 506. Fast writes and Sideband addressing are enabled.

Any tips on eking out some more performance?

Thanks,
    John
    [AK]Abaddon

War Whore on Tour
    Honestly, I don't see any reason to tweak your system any further. You have a more powerful system than I do and I have no problems running BF:1942 so I think you should leave it the way it is.

Show no fear, show no pain, show no mercy.
    My crappy website

El Sancho Panza
    Are you sure your CPU Temp always is around 45 degrees? Cool What kind of Heatsink do you have?

i was worried about being in the 50's but i guess what ever your doing is just FINE!!!

BTW to all Gurus Nerds and people alike. i have a question for you

Why when i put my system up to 132 Mhz FSB everything works wonders. but as soon as i hit the magic 133 (or More) it goes to hell, freezes everytime, sometimes it wont boot up, you name it i have experiencied. right now my 2.26 Ghz CPU is running at 2.25 Damn it!!!

I already have all the new drivers, BIOS and stuff. the only thing im left messing with is the BIOS Settings.

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    Is that 80Gb hard drive you got a regular model or is it one of the 8mb cache SE editions?

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Thanks guys. I just thought my 3Dmark 2001 score was a little lower than I expected, but I am used to the 3Dmark 2000 ratings still, I guess.

BF 1942 is quite playable at 1024X768 with all the bells and whistles turned on and Direct 3D set at High Image Quality.

My heatsink is a Socket 478 cooler I bought at CompUSA ... it only cost $19.99. But I have four case fans, a slot cooler for my graphics card, and a power supply with dual fans. I think all that helps a lot.

The lessons of the last week have taught me one thing ... if it doesn't work, it just needs more power :-)

[AK]Abaddon
    [AK]Abaddon

You should talk to StitchJones the man with a dozen fans in his pc. It was a little too much on his old power supply to the point that it actually caught fire One question though do you have to anchor that thing down so that it doesn't take off?

As far as your benchmark for a gf3 that is right where you shoulb be from what I have seen from other people.

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Yeah, bump that to a GF4 and you'll start to take advantage of that 2.0mhz processor.

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Yeah, the fans can be quite disconcerting sometimes. My wife-to-be was in the Army for seven years, and I keep expecting her to wake up and yell "Incoming!" whenever I turn the thing on.

The CPU fan is the loudest of the lot ... the fan on it is about 2/3 the size of a regular case fan, and it blows at 4800 rpm. It is not as loud as the Vantek copper heatsink on my T-bird, but it's louder than I wanted. I am considering replacing it with one of those high flow "silent" coolers that cost about $50 and looks like a piece of high-tech art deco.

[AK]Abaddon
    [AK]Abaddon

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Oh, and my hard drive ... Stitch, I am not certain. It's just an 80 gig WD drive that I bought at CompUSA for $89. I think it's just a regular ATA 100. I just took it out of the box and slapped it in the case ... never read the documentation. :-)

[AK]Abaddon
    [AK]Abaddon