Thread: Problem

August Knights

Problem

I recently bought a 80 gb hard drive, but upon installing I saw that it only showed up as being 32 gb. I figured this was a problem with out dated bios. I have a K7T Pro2-A(MS-6330 Ver 1.0E) mainboard in my computer, but I could only find bios for a K7T Pro2-A(MS-6330 Ver 1.0C) mainboard on the MSI website. I didnt figure one letter change in the version would matter, so I went ahead with installing the latest bios for the 1.0C mainboard. It went through the installation fine, but whenever I restarted the computer, it gave me a "Cannot find some file" message. To avoid any further harm to my system, I tried to flash back to my old bios(using the recovery system on MSI's website). However, it gave me some error message about "this bios is not supported" or something(should have written all this down). Well, then I decided to go back to the MSI website and download some earlier drivers for the 1.0C mainboard. The readme included with the download of the 6330v33 bios drivers says:
    How To Upgrade BIOS:
    1. Make a bootable system floppy disk by typing [FORMAT A:/S] from the DOS prompt.
    2. Download the BIOS file from MSI web page.
    3. Extract the BIOS file into the bootable floppy.
    4. Boot up system with the bootable floppy disk.
    5. Run Award (Ex. Awdfl770) or AMI (Ex. amifl822.exe) Flash utility & follow the on-screen
    instructions.
    Now I read on the MSI forums that you should never run the flash from a floppy. Well, I ran as the instructions said and halfway through the installation, it froze up. I let it sit for about 5 minutes and then shut down the computer. Now when the computer comes on, it beeps repeatedly and never starts up.

If anybody can help me with getting my computer back up and running, it would be greatly appreciated. Tell me what I may need to replace or if I need to buy something else? Also, maybe some places where I can buy replacement parts as I am fairly new at dealing with this type of problem.

Thanks in advance,
    Jacob Bertrand

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    It is possible that the lack of completion could have hosed up your bios. However I would check the manual and see where the CMOS flash jumper would be. I would enable that jumper for a moment to clear all current settings. After that move the jumper back so you can operate it. Then unplug the machine, and press the power button to make sure all the current is out of it. Let it sit for a couple of minutes, ten or so. Plug it back in and turn it on. See what happens.

You may have allready tired this, it was just the first thing I could think of to try.

Keep me posted.

August Knights

Thanks Stitch, I figured about the same. Tried the jumper, but I am still getting the same thing. Any time I hit the power to turn it on, it just hangs at a black screen and beeps repeatedly. I did a little more research at the MSI website and I think I may have to replace the mainboard chip, or get another motherboard altogether.

I dont know how these new motherboards work, but there should be a battery on the board, take it out for a few. should return the bios to its factory settings.
    Most motherboard chips have memory you cant erease. and then a flashable memory chip for updates.

if all else fails you could call up your mobo's manufacturer and without telling them you tried to update the bios (but not denying it of course) ask them what the crap you should do.
    "Luck Does Not Go About In Search Of A Fool"
    - Andy Hudson in Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy.

August Knights

I hate flashing bioses.. One little thing goes wrong then poof your system is toast. At least you get beeps.. When mine went wrong all i got was a power up and blank screen... Not too fun. In fact it was an MSI Board for my little bro's system if I remember correctly.

But the good part is a Bios flash gone wrong is a warrenty fix. See if you still have warrenty.. Usually 1 year for the reseller and possibly more from the Manufacturer. If it is not under warrenty you can usually buy a new Bios chip from them for 10-25 bucks.. whatever they charge.

-Goob

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    In some boards that I have seen recently the battery has a small soldered bar towards the side which makes it hard to change without doing some major stuff to it. Your right Goob, it just sucks when something goes wrong. What a defeating feeling

August Knights

Appreciate all the help guys, looks like im ordering a new bios chip, or at least getting it re programmed. Thinking about using the Bad Flash website to order from. Does anybody have any other suggestions of places to buy from?

Is your BIOS socketed? Many of them are surface mounted now.