Thread: RvS tips from the not so pro-ish

Some things to think about if you like playing RvS, but aren’t so good yet.

Check out all the weapons. The stats for the weapons appear in the bottom right corner when you highlight a weapon, so you can compare.

Personal favorites are: G36K, Tar-21, and MP5A4.
    Some notes on the guns though, silencers reduce overall damage greatly, so you need more shots to kill. But it increases the accuracy, and stability of the gun.

Also check out the items you can attack to your guns, there are two things you can customize your gun with, one is always the bullet type JHP and FMJ. The former is for unarmored people, the ladder is for armored.
    And then there’s a box under the bullet option. You can add things like a mini scope to some of the guns. And silencers to other guns.

Items you can pick from are: frags, flash bangs, smoke grenades tear gas, and false heart beat pucks. That for the projectile section. Most of which are straight forward. The tear gas and smoke expand in an area, and dissipate after some time.
    Tear gas makes you close to completely blind while you’re in it, and it takes the better part of a minuit for you to regain some of your vision.
    False heart beat pucks are great; the heartbeat sensors will pick them up as a normal person would show up. So you can fool HBS users.

Other items of note are the heart beat sensor, HBS jammer (handheld) and SA HBS jammer (place it on the ground). The sensor is a pair of goggles, with a short range, about 30 game feet if you ask me. And the jammers…jam its sensing ability.
    The hand jammer has a huge radius. While the place able one lets you parade around a small area with your gun out in relative HBS safety.

Other junk includes C4, and Claymore mines and gas masks. Both are place able, manual detonation explosives. They go on the ground. Gas masks prevent the effects of tear gas, as well as prevent your character from coughing in a smoke grenade’s radius.

In terms of gameplay, if you find all the small nooks and crannies. You can sit and wait for people to find you. However at this point people know most of them, so you may get fragged more often than not.

If you see someone you have several options. My choice is usually to drop my stance one level unless I'm already crouching, and take a few shots. Odds are their shots will fly over your head. You can also move to cover; this is the best option if they see you first. As they’ve likely shot already. Use the lean to make best use of the cover you have. And never lean out the same way twice, crouch and lean, stand up and lean, alternate in random patterns till you win.
    Close quarters fights are twitch reflexes. It’s basically a strafe and shoot match until someone wins. And if you run out of ammo, most people switch to sidearms.

Otherwise play the game. Knowing the levels is probably the most important thing in any game.

Also: take corners wide. i find that most people take them as close as possible to save time, so thell blow by you and have to turn all the way around to shoot you.
    Last edited by [AK]Garrett; 03-13-2003 at 12:19 PM.
    "Luck Does Not Go About In Search Of A Fool"
    - Andy Hudson in Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy.