Thread: RavenShield Performance Tweaks

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar

RavenShield Performance Tweaks

I found this while looking for how to customize my RvS crosshairs. Hopefully it may help some of you who are having problems with performance.

Performance Guide
    Posted 25/01/03
    It has become quite a bold reality that the new generation UT2003 engine is often too demanding for the average gamers machine. If you're one of the people struggling, you're in for a treat! We've compiled the webs most complete Raven Shield tweak guide in this feature article with everything you'll want to know about getting Raven Shield running smoother!

Before we get started with all the technical mumbo-jumbo, we'll make it clear that the command to check your FPS (frames per second) rate in-game is "fps", which you type in the console without quotes.

The following tweaks are made via the RavenShield.ini file, found in your "Raven Shield Demo\system" directory. Remember that aside from these tweaks, you can set lower sound quality and lower graphics detail inside the game graphical user interface itself.

// MEMORY
    CacheSizeMegs=32
    -- Increase to as much as your video card RAM (if you run a 64mb card, enter 64).

UsePrecaching=True
    -- Set to False only only if using a graphics card with 32mb or less memory [newer cards have enough memory to store all loading data into ram quickely, while it is often better for older cards with less RAM to load it on the fly in-game].

// VIDEO
    UseHardwareTL=True
    -- Set to False only if using an old graphics card to gain better performance [newer cards take advantage of this feature and perform better with it on].

UseHardwareVS=True
    -- Similar to the above T&L setting (but in relation to the vertex shader), set to False only if using an older graphics card.

NoFractalAnim=False
    -- Set to True for a slight performance boost, esspecially if using an old graphics card.

UseCubemaps=True
    -- Set to True for a slight performance boost, esspecially if using an old graphics card [False removes added detail from reflections etc].

UseCompressedLightmaps=True
    -- Leave as True for better performance [False creates higher detail lightmaps, at the expence of fps].

NoLighting=False
    -- Setting to true removes the lightmaps (or should in retail), creating a huge fps gain at the expense of boring lifeless looking maps.

NoDynamicLights=False
    -- Set to True for a slight performance boost, esspecially if using an old graphics card [True removes enviromental dynamic lighting effects].

TextureMaxLOD=12
    -- Lower the value for better performance as the cost of texture quality (XBox setting at 9).

Decals=True
    -- Set this to false to remove decals (temporary marks/effects) to gain performance.

MinDesiredFrameRate=10.000000
    -- Higher values will lower in-game detail during play to help achieve the desired minimum [those with high end machines should set it as high as 85 and can still expect to maintain detail].

DesiredRefreshRate=60
    -- This sets the refresh rate in-game, and revolves around how fast your monitor can redraw screen contents. For example, I run RVS at 1152x864, so I set this value to 100 which is the maximum my monitor can do at that resolution.

ReduceMouseLag=False
    -- Setting to True will create smoother mouse movement with the expense of a slight fps drop.

// NETWORK
    ConfiguredInternetSpeed=20000
    -- This setting adjusts your network rate (bytes per second). It defaults to 20000, however should be modified to get the most out of your connection. 56k users should be setting it between 3000 and 5000, while ADSL & Cable users should have no hesitations throwing it up between 8000 and 25000 (25000 being ideal for LAN enviroments). It really all depends on how much bandwidth you are willing to let RVS eat. Keep in mind that setting this value to unreasonably low/high values for your connection will result in uncontrollably bad network performance with such symptoms as chronic packet loss.
    Note: Most servers will have this value capped at 20000, to stop users transfering excess bandwidth to and from the server.

// AUDIO
    CompatibilityMode=False
    -- Set to True if experiencing sound problems [True sets sound options to bare minimum].

OutputRate=44100Hz
    -- Set to lower values such as 11025Hz for better performance, at the expense of sound quality.

Channels=32
    -- Set to lower values such as 16 for better performance, at the expense of sound quality.

UseSound=True
    -- Set to False to gain huge frame rate boosts on moderate to low-end machines.
    Other sound tweaks include ones made in your DirectX settings and DARE.ini...

In your DARE.ini file (also located in system directory) change "NB_AUDIBLE_VOICES=32" to a value of 16, and "DS3D_CACHE_SIZE=" to 5242880 for possible performance boosts at the expense of sound quality.

For DirectX options, hit Start >> Run and type in "dxdiag" (DirectX Diagnostics). Once open, click the "sound" tab and set audio acceleration to none. This once again will boost performance at the expense of sound quality.

All of the above audio tweaks will help the majority of you experiencing bad frame rates.
    We hope this guide helps all of you get the most out of Raven Shield and your machine, happy fragging from us here at Status Report: AusRVS.
    To discuss this guide or find help in relation to certain options, head over to our discussion forum to post in our General & Technical support boards.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

[AK]Bribo

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    Bribo, great post! Thanks for the info.

So it defaults to 32MB of video b/c of the ini?

I had a terrible time last night. I had it set to 640 with low all, and still stuttered enough to die repeatedly. If I don't get resolution, I'll have to do something drastic and buy a new machine (or Video Card at least).
    **I just have nothing cool enough to put here**

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    NEWMACHINENEWMACHINENEWMACHINENEWMACHINENEWMACHINE

The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

Originally posted by [AK]Choozoo

I had a terrible time last night. I had it set to 640 with low all, and still stuttered enough to die repeatedly. If I don't get resolution, I'll have to do something drastic and buy a new machine (or Video Card at least).
    What are your machine specs?
    [AK]Bribo

P4 1.7
    512 MB Rambus
    Asus MB
    Radeon 7200 64MB VIVO

You should be able to use some of those tweaks I posted to have RvS running smoothly.
    [AK]Bribo

considering rs is powered by the unreal engine, i'm sure pressing ` (tilde) or tab and typing "preferences" (without quotes) will bring up a gui menu with all changeable settings within the engine. i can't confirm, because i don't have rs yet. i certainly am getting it sometime soon.

The tweaks helped, I only TK'd 3 times last night...