Thread: Star Wars No Way Dude

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar

Star Wars No Way Dude

Okay, I said it two months ago. If Star Wars Galaxies was delayed past the April 14th release date. I would not buy it. And as I thought, it came true. It's now pushed out to June. This is BS in my mind, I'm so F-in sick of games having a release date and then it get's pushed back Weeks, Months, Years(Condition Zero anyone??) I'm so p1$$3D over this.
    If a game isn't done then don't give a release date, don't even hint on it. Just develop the God D@mn thing and put it out when it's done. Blizzard is another shinning example of doing this. Diablo, Starcraft, Diablo II, and Warcraft III all pushed out well over a year past the origianal release dates. It's just a crock if you ask me.

I've allready posted my complaints in a e-mail to the guys at SWG about pushing the date out and how I will not be a part of it.

More people need to stand up and complain about this. Developers need there time to put together a quality product. So when the developers get done then set a REAL date. Until then mark all games (COMING SOON!!!)

there my soap box is broken for now.
    Thanks

If you have a project plan thats five years long, its hard to hit a date.

I'll still be getting SW:G, but only because I think they will push EQ2 back a lot farther than they have the release date as of now..

I think I heard a rumor that SW:G guys were implementing some space travel stuffs with this push back, although I'm probably wrong with that..
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

Shades

I, personaly, would much rather have a finished game than a timely game. I don't like buying a game that came out at the time the marketing department has set and have it not work for quite some time. I never pay much attention to what I know are artificial release dates as we know software development is not like building a brick wall where you can judge when it will be done by how many bricks are left to put in. In my mind a release date is just a target, and almost no dart is exactly in the middle of its target.

If they are adding space stuff in that would make me way happy. I never wanted to be a jedi, my favorite characters were always the pilot types like Han or Wedge and not the weirdos with their ancient laser swords, I'd rather put my trust in a good blaster.
    City of Villains, the Justice server.

Electrosmasher, level 36 Electric Melee/Electric Armor Brute
    Atomstrike, Level 35 Radiation corruptor
    Crimson Razor, Level 35 Ninja blade/Ninja Reflexes Stalker
    Devia, level 26 Psionic/Psychic Blast Dominator

"Would you use your powers for Good or for Awsome?" - Strong Bad

[AK]Widowmaker

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

I agree that it is in the best interest of game publishers to avoid publicizing release dates until there are no doubts about the date (i.e. the game is gold). However, I don't get my pantyhose in a bunch when a game is pushed back. Which is better for the publisher, releasing a game before it is done and taking all the heat associated with such an atrocity (World War II Online) or pushing back the release date to make sure that the game is fully functional and worth the $49.99? There's no argument that it's better for the consumer, as well. For far too long, game developers have released unfinished games knowing that they can just patch later. What if movie studios started doing the same thing, releasing unfinished films to the movie theatres, then fixing the problems for the DVD release? What if book publishers started releasing unfinished books, then finishing them and releasing new versions or errata? It seems as though the PC software industry is one of the few in which it is totally acceptable to publish unfinished shovelware, which is what SWG would be if it were released to the public to beta test on April 14.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    I could care less whether or not a game is pushed back, provided it is DONE when it is released. Minor patches...ok. Major revisions just to make the thing work? No thanks.

I lived through UO - the Early Months, so the Star Wars crew is right, IMO to take all the time they need.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

Palooka, you're right that it would be a public beta.. phase 3 of their beta is just getting ready to begin.. *crosses fingers*
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.