Thread: Tycho (PA) on Planetside

Tycho (PA) on Planetside

I always knew that the fundamentals of Planetside were good, but until last weekend I'd never seen it all come together - hackers supported by MAXes, delivered via Galaxy transport to areas already softened by friendly armor. Player-directed objectives on an unprecedented scale. The simple joy of piloting an Advanced Nanite Transport to resupply captured installations. And the recently added Lattice - which allows you to capture bases only when they are connected to a friendly installation - means that rather than a couple guys running around nabbing undefended bases, there are active fronts that span whole continents, each side visibly making gains and taking losses on the dynamic map. It is a comforting thing to know that a game you have had faith in from the first shaped up so well - indeed, I have but two concerns.

The game has come a million miles, technically, since I've begun playing it. Stability on the client has improved a very good deal, but it would be difficult to say how stability is on the servers themselves at this point, because they are no doubt under a constant state of digital manipulation. I'm trying to say they aren't up a lot. I'm also saying that the twentieth of May is a little too close to comfortably give the game a clean bill of health.

It's shipping in thirteen days, and they still haven't said what the monthly charge is? Unacceptable. I can appreciate their position, they are attempting to associate a price with a style of game that has not heretofore been offered. They need to cowboy up and make shit happen. Here's something for them to think about: their game is not worth the criminal 13 dollars a month that the standard fee in the genre has risen to. The game is awesome, but thirteen dollars is not a good fit for the people they're trying to snare. You're looking at five or six dollars a month, tops. You'll get people in, and you'll keep them longer - gamers who crave the persistence of the genre might consider adding a small fee to the others they already pay. Not nine, and under no circumstances ten. I mean, seriously, Verant: don't you want people to call you the good guys, at least once?
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

Personally.. I agree totally with his two points..

Its hard to stress test servers when they are always down. Its also hard to tell how much its gonna cost you to have the servers up when you're constantly bringing them down. They need to put the monthly price out there so people will know.. when they know they can make up there minds on whether they are gonna buy it or not.
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.