Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tribes: Vengeance Preview

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar

Tribes: Vengeance Preview

More Tribes goodness on the way!

Gamespot Australia Previews TRIBES Vengeance with a look at the next installment in the online teamplay shooter series. In addition to a look at the game, the article also offers a Q&A with Michael Johnson and Alex "Marweas" Rodberg on the game, which includes a status report on how the project is progressing, saying "Tribes: Vengeance is about 65 percent complete, which means we're on target for a release in Q4 2004." Here's another bit, describing the game's new weapon:

The first new weapon we're announcing is tentatively called a rocket pod. It fires a cluster of spiralling rockets that constantly move in the direction you're aiming, which lets you control them while they're in the air. Tribes 2 had a missile launcher, but it was an auto-aim weapon that we didn't really like. The rocket pod is a replacement for that weapon. It's designed to be particularly effective against larger targets, such as vehicles, because you can potentially hit them with every rocket in the cluster. It can be used against players, too, but you might end up hitting them with only a few rockets.

Currently, the rocket pod is a bit tricky to use. We're exploring ways of making it fun while ensuring it remains a skill-based weapon. I should mention that, unlike Tribes 2, Tribes: Vengeance doesn't have flares to counter rockets. Your only defence is to be aware and dodge accordingly.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

That looks awesome. I can't wait for this game. I've still got T2 installed on my computer (though I haven't played it in nearly a year). That arena gives the impression that they're changing the "theme" from an interplanetary battle to a pseudo-sport, a la UT--very cool, just the way I always thought of our ladder matches.

I may need to reinstall tribes 2. I quit Star Wars Galaxies the other day, and T2 is the only other game I own. Everything else went to ebay.
    pix

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

You got rid of BF1942? For shame! You would be a boon to the new team.

Even if I still had BF1942, I wouldn't be able to play much. The only reason I quit galaxies (which I think is probably my favorite massive multiplayer game i've played), was to spend more time on my school work.
    pix

Based on the vid & screenshots they put out...T.V. is a silly looking cartoon. With all the advancements in graphics since the original Tribes came out, to see the vision they have taken for the armors reminds of a game more suited toward console than PC.

Have to wait and see. Pix good luck playing T2 since the change to classic your in for a surprise.

NR

August Knights

Tribes has always been a bit toonish compared to other games I thought, although I agree this one pushes it a bit further. I don't think that will change anything though, still looks like a great game so far and I am definitely looking forward to it.
    Jackle

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    It looks like a cross between T2 and Halo. Or maybe Planetside.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

August Knights

It's good to hear that they're scrapping the T2 Missile Launcher. I always hated that thing. It was very non-Tribes, skilless.

I've been dabbling with T2 lately, mostly classic. I hate how they've made the mines like mini-grenades. Let's hope Marweas doesn't go that direction. A light should not be able to kill a heavy with one shot, unless it's with a shocklance from behind.

Release date expected 4th quarter 2004?? Ugh.
    Organize Aggressively,
    [AK]Leonidas

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    It was a lot of things, but it wasn't skill-less.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

Originally posted by [AK]Leonidas
    I hate how they've made the mines like mini-grenades. Let's hope Marweas doesn't go that direction.
    As a HOF I agree totally. It wasn't long after I was mine-disked a few times that I quit the game.
    [AK]Bribo

Mine - Disc was part of the game in Tribes and was finally put back into the game as it should have been from the start of T2 when classic became the norm.

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

The armor from those T:V previews looks pretty fugly. I really like the way the armor looked in Tribes 2 ... the stuff from Tribes Vengeance looks very basic in comparison. Not as much detail.

I hate the mine-disc "feature" myself. I didn't miss it in Tribes 2, and really quit playing once they mucked it up by putting it back in the game.
    [AK]Abaddon

Originally posted by [AK]NeverRetreat
    Mine - Disc was part of the game in Tribes and was finally put back into the game as it should have been from the start of T2 when classic became the norm.
    I never played the original - only Tribes 2. I liked Tribes 2 the way it was released (sans crashes). IMO, a light should not be able to take a heavy out with one shot (ala' mine-disk). Nor should a heavy be able to skate across the map as fast as a light.

It will be interesting to see what direction they go with T:V.
    [AK]Bribo

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Yeah, I always thought the skiing verged on being an "exploit" of the engine rather than a part of the game. I was upset when they put it back into Tribes 2.
    [AK]Abaddon