Thread: Highly Annoying DVD drive problem

Administrator
    August Knights
    Assistant Recruiter

Highly Annoying DVD drive problem

Every time I want to swap out CD's in my PC's DVD drive, it still thinks the old disk is in there - complete with directory tree and everything.

The only way I can get it to recognize a new CD is to reboot the whole machine, which is mighty annoying.

I've tried everything I can think of to fix it, but am at a loss. Any suggestions?

System is WinXP Pro, on a Medion 2.66GHZ machine. DVD drive manufacturer is unknown.

August Knights

I doubt this will help your cause but I have an older crappy DVD drive that always gives me a hard time when trying to use it. It locks up my pc and sometimes doesnt even want to spit the cd back out. If it is a cheaper and older dvd drive, then go buy a better and newer one for cheap. I have to say, they are much much cheaper now than they were. I dont know what causes this but I know what I'm going to do to fix it. You may even try taking it out and puttuing it back in under a different spot on the ribbon cord. Or even trying to find some new firmware if you can locate the name of the drive. This could help. Someone else may be able to help you further though. Good Luck!

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Clay!

Hey guys, this is an old friend of mine from Wisconsin. The actual problem is that he has a cheese curd jammed in his DVD drive.

Seriously ... have you looked to see if there is a firmware update for your DVD drive? What brand/model is it? It seems like I have had this problem before, but I cannot remember the solution.
    Last edited by [AK]Abaddon; 11-14-2003 at 04:27 AM.
    [AK]Abaddon

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

I had this happen to me right before my DVD-ROM bit the dust completely.

I also had an absent-minded user who had the same thing happen, but it turned out that person had forgotten to take out the first CD, putting another one right on top of it.