View Poll Results: Do you use Merciless for BF 1942?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • You Bet!

2 18.18%
  • Nope.

5 45.45%
  • Merci-what?

2 18.18%
  • No, heard it allows for cheating

2 18.18%

Thread: Merciless BF1942 Add-on Mod

Merciless BF1942 Add-on Mod

Yesterday while playing I mentioned to an AK'er that I was using the Merciless add-on and was shocked that alot of folks hadn't heard of this modification. I recommended it, then later heard someone (can't recall who) mention that they had heard that merciless allowed for cheats. I only found one reference to cheats through merciless (which was corrected in the latest version) but wanted to know if anyone else had heard cheating because of merciless.

Merciless adds a ton of sprinkles to the tasty donut that is BF 1942. This includes 492 new sound effects (based on the REAL weapons), blood FX, historically correct flags, uniforms, etc...

You can find out more here:
    http://www.planetdungeonsiege.com/me...ctions/bf1942/

There's also a nice Soldier's Handbook (.pdf) with tips to being a better player. Some tips are obvious (don't shoot team mates) so you'll have to read through and extract what you like including strategies for each map. It's about 17mb compressed.
    (Same URL)

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

One word of caution--if you plan on playing on the TWL ladder with us, you won't be allowed to use the mod. All mods are banned for TWL ladder play.

I've always been a fan of Merciless Creations. They do an absolutely fantastic job of making 1942 way more authentic.

I'm not aware of cheats "allowed" by Merciless. I'm also not sure how it could be done, since to the best of my knowledge, all they really are are skinpacks. The only possible "cheat" I've ever thought of is that they provide a dot in the center of the engineer sight.

I haven't used any of the Merciless mods since about this time last year and I've been waiting to see how their merger with Forgotten Hope turns out. If done properly, it'll be a blockbuster. (ballbuster?...)

As far as cheating, I can't wait for 1.6 and Punkbuster. I'm also looking forward to the BF Vietnam game, which will improve the airborne physics models and will therefore improve the aftermarket mods accordingly. The DC helicopter physics and control will finally be correct. Awesome!
    Hasta,
    Boom

It was Gemini that said there are issues with cheats and this mod, maybe he can elaborate further for us as to what he knows. I would hate to see this mod start causing issues, not that those of us whom are looking to play on the ladders can use it anyways.

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!

In reading the documentation, it seemed that in an earlier version of Merciless, the sounds db levels for walking were set too high, allowing you to hear your enemies from further away... otherwise I haven't been able to find anything else.

-nuts

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    If it allowed for the mine skins to be changed to something more noticable - say neon blue - that would be a problem.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

It was in the early versions of merciless. I tihnk that's how alot of the cheats started. The first cheats I read about required merciless to run them. This is probably the reason for the TWL ban. From my experience, the older merciless mods actually slowed my fps by about 20 to 30. I think the hackers took code from the mod to make the first cheats. Now they don't need it anymore I guess. My only issues with merciless would be performance related. Maybe some can do an fps test?