Thread: Spawn Camping

A bunch of us were playing last night and on Ventrilo we had a good discussion about spawn camping.. Scenario.. It can be strategic to (say at begin of map) take a bomber to there spawn and take out as much equipment as possible. IE Planes and Choppers.. thus allowing your team to get the jump on the field.

This in my opinion is strategic, but then yes you have guys that love to roll a tank up to base and just sit there pissing people off... Should you allow none of this or what is your guys opinion? ya it pisses you off to be camped but I have a mission when someone is in our base get them out... what does everyone think? I in no way am I implying you change the server rules, it was just a good conversation we had yesterday and thought why not post it to see how everyone feels..

Food for thought

FiGHT*CLuB
    Last edited by [AK?]FiGHT*CLuB; 02-04-2004 at 03:03 PM.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    When in competition, Spawn camping is definitely a valid tactic. So is parking a tank on a repair pad. But lots of competition tactics are fun-killers in pubs, so we discourage those activities.

We allow camping if all the other flags have been taken for obvious reasons.

Understand, sometimes you'll be camping a base and they'll take a flag elsewhere. In that case you should attempt to extracate yourself from their base in an expedient manner. We may or may not warn "illegal" basecampers prior to kicking. I usually say something at least once before deploying the boot.

Personally I think that anything you can do to achieve victory is ok by me. Unfortunately some people like to have rules to their wars such as no base camping. I can live with it either way, but I prefer the old saying of "All is fair in love and war". Think about it how many wars would you win if you never took out your enemies base camp? I am like you in the fact that if someone is base camping my one and only objective becomes to take that guy out, and often times I will repay their base with a visit of my own

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!

Administrator
    August Knights
    Assistant Recruiter

CampFire

Ditto. Militarily victory goes to those with the best logistics. Removing the opponents ability to resupply with new tanks and aircraft from their spawn by camping it is a very valid objective. But as already stated, it's a kill-joy. I'm there to have a good time and laugh a bit. Being on the recieving end of this tactic seriously sucks.

My personal creed:
    -Arty and air strikes are acceptable.
    -Base sniping is acceptable - after all the scout needs to be there to call in arty (he's also a poor scout if he does this because when he dies, and he very certainly will, the scope goes away for his arty)
    -Base raids for equipment are acceptable
    -Base mining is acceptable

-Base camping in a tank is questionable, I generally won't fire up remote admin unless I'm having a bad game

On a somewhat related topic of this though - I consider it a bannable offense to shoot someone for equipment. I don't care, they're gone - no kick, no warnings, no discussion. The reason the AK server is a good and popular server is because this crap isn't tolerated.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    I side mostly with Gunny on the issue, and if we weren't hosting the server I'd say "go for it". I'm competitive as anyone, and the bases are where the kills are.

However as hosts I think we have a certain obligation to try and make it fun for everyone. Hence the rules about swearing and basecamping. There are folks of many different skill levels playing on our server, and many of them are completely incapable of dealing with a "camped base" scenario. Sad but true.

So I think it's for the best that we let folks get suited up / vehicled up before waxing them. It provides a more pleasureable experience for everyone overall - rather than just the skilled few or those lucky enough to be on a team with the good players.

And I think this policy works, because our server is one of the most popular around. We get lots of regular, repeat customers.

I agree that in order to maintain the "fun atmosphere" that while pubbing our no base camping unless you own all flags rule makes sense. I think that it should apply to carriers as well when that happens to be your main spawn or "base".

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Okay ... I will stop seizing the carrier on Sea Rigs. Dang, that's the only fun I have with that CS-nostalgia map. Blech. BF1942 is about vehicles.
    [AK]Abaddon

Originally posted by [AK?]Clay

-Arty and air strikes are acceptable.
    -Base sniping is acceptable - after all the scout needs to be there to call in arty (he's also a poor scout if he does this because when he dies, and he very certainly will, the scope goes away for his arty)
    -Base raids for equipment are acceptable
    -Base mining is acceptable
    -Base camping in a tank is questionable
    I support Clay's point of view 100%. I think it's the best way to balance tactics and fun. Nothing worse than spawning in and dying over and over and over. It's definetly NOT fun. And personally, I'm playing BF for fun.

If we were to have a quorum, that's how I would vote.

-nuts