Thread: Star Wars Dvd

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar

Star Wars Dvd

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    I hear he's inserting a half hour of Jar-Jar...

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    It's the '97 remake with all the digital additions by GL. I'll still buy it but it would be nice to get the original theatrical release on DVD as well. I guess I still need to hold onto those beat-up VHS tapes.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

I forgot to mention that in this version, Han negotiates with Greedo and they both agree (over a non-alcoholic beverage) that Jabba is a bad creature. They exchange a few knowing chuckles, pat each other on the back and head their seperate ways.

It's all very touching, in an after school special sort of way.

Originally posted by [AK]Squidly
    I forgot to mention that in this version, Han negotiates with Greedo and they both agree (over a non-alcoholic beverage) that Jabba is a bad creature. They exchange a few knowing chuckles, pat each other on the back and head their seperate ways.

Funny you mention that, I've been whinning all morning about that scene! Small world

Originally posted by [AK]Squidly

Did they digitally modify all the guns into walkie-talkies?
    Hasta,
    Boom

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

No, they replaced the guns with flowers.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

I don't know about you guys, but my childhood fascination with Star Wars has worn off. I would probably buy the DVD edition of the trilogy, but its release doesn't exactly make me giddy as a schoolgirl (like Stitch). My taste in film has gained much sophistication since I was twelve, and I have come to realize that the original Star Wars, while truly ground-breaking in the realm of special effects, does not deserve all the accolades that it has received. It's a very simple story with local Shakespeare theatre-quality acting and a great reliance on visual effects (like an Armageddon or Independence Day). The Empire Strikes Back, on the other hand, is a superb film and Lucas's most mature work; it's the one film in the trilogy that makes the DVD purchase worthwhile. Return of the Jedi, while passable, was a foreshadowing of the atrocities to come -- Lucas demonstrated that he was perfectly willing to compromise story for visual effects, and he showed a compunction for pleasing the kids in the audience with silly and annoying creatures. Even as a little kid, I thought the ewoks were lame. They were Care Bears with guns.

The Star Wars trilogy has been supplanted as the benchmark sci-fi/fantasy epic. Long live Lord of the Rings.

It's my understanding that George will never release the original versions on DVD because the newer re-tooled movies were what he intended to begin with, but at the time didn't have the capability.
    pix

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

Shades

In some cases, yes they are more what he intended. Meaning having a more animated background (Mos Eisely) and just have more things going on in the background.

I am still sore about Jabba being a big worm when he was orgionaly supposed to be a short, dumpy man (a Hutt, I was led to believe at the time, was like a mafia Don). If the scene where Han and Jabba are talking in front of the Falcon had realy been intended Jabba to be a creature rather than a man then why was the guy dressed up in full costume? Lucas keeps re-writing his own history.

As far as the movies go, I thought the first one (Star Wars, not that Phantom Menace crap) was great. They had a good thing there with a story that had a full history written in for it and a good cast that seemed to get on well with eachother. It was my personal favorite. Empire strikes back is a close second. After that they can all go in the trash as far as I'm concerned. I miss Darth Vader being the henchman rather than the main bad guy. In Star Wars he was the henchman of Grand Moff Tarkin. He was the Oddjob you had to go through to get to Goldfinger.

They were good movies but not what Lucas tries to make them out to be. The people making it had a good time doing it too, and it shows.

I'll get the DvD's most likely, but I do not feel the need to right away. Now if they were the origional movie prints without all the alterations I would jump all over them. As it is, they are something to add to the collection, nothing more.

I don't suppose it escaped anyones notice but the best directed of the movies is Empire (even though I prefered the story in Star Wars, empire was a better made movie). It was actualy directed by Irvin Kershner. Even the screenplay was by other people. Lucas only contributed the story and was "executive producer". In Return of the Jedi Lucas left the direction to other people but is listed in the screenplay credits. Keep Lucas out of the production all together, I say The less involved he is the better the movie is.
    Last edited by Widowmaker; 02-11-2004 at 01:39 PM.
    City of Villains, the Justice server.

Electrosmasher, level 36 Electric Melee/Electric Armor Brute
    Atomstrike, Level 35 Radiation corruptor
    Crimson Razor, Level 35 Ninja blade/Ninja Reflexes Stalker
    Devia, level 26 Psionic/Psychic Blast Dominator

"Would you use your powers for Good or for Awsome?" - Strong Bad

[AK]Widowmaker

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

You're right, Irvin Kershner directed Empire, not Lucas. That explains why it's a good movie.

Originally posted by [AK]Palooka
    You're right, Irvin Kershner directed Empire, not Lucas. That explains why it's a good movie.
    Agreed

August Knights
    The old Man in the War [AK]Rocks's Avatar

Great News, the Star wars DVD is going to be out before half-life 2!

Originally posted by [AK]Rocks
    Great News, the Star wars DVD is going to be out before half-life 2!
    Damnit Rocks! Don't get me started!!!!!!