Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Stats - the latest update

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Kudos to Choozoo for his continued amazing work with the stats.

Looking at the latest version, my first observation is this: WTF is Bribo doing ranked higher than me?!?

I have a higher score, more kills, less deaths, almost double the K/D ratio, higher average score per round, 6 more golds, 3 more Silvers, and an equal number of Bronzes.

What's a brutha gotta do to pump up that skill rating?

All joking aside, what's the current skill formula, Chooz? And what does "AVG Team points" mean?

Team Points are what you get for helping your team, i.e. "Flag Points" I meant to change capture points to team points.

Currently, I use (KD*Avg_Team_Pts) / Rounds_played.

I know, I know, now that I look at it, I double factor rounds played since that is the divisor in avg team points. BUT What I was thinking was that there is more to skill than killing players, and I thought I'd reward the ones that have consistently high team ratings.

We will ultimately rank by skill. How we calculate skill is the question at hand.

Oh, and squid, I'm going to script the alternate pages for sorting by category. I may try something else also, which I thought was cool.

Example:

Rank Player Score Capture Points Kills
    1 KAL 272 (14) 98(134) 174(100)

The first number is the actual value, and the second number, in parenthesis, would be your actual rank in that CATEGORY. So you may be #1 in skill, but #32 in kills. Follow me? I think that may make a sort page cooler.

PS thanks for the kudos
    Last edited by Choozoo; 02-18-2004 at 05:06 AM.
    **I just have nothing cool enough to put here**

The only thing I noticed is that Bribo has almost double the capture points that you do. I guess that the flag capturing really does have a big impact as we all think it should. My only question is how can the guys at the bottom have negative capture points?

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!

TK's

Capture/Team points = Score - kills

They way I see things, score is calced by 1 pt. per kill and 1 pt per flag "event".
    A flag event is turning it neutral or capturing it outright.

A TK is -2 points.

there may be other factors. For instance, 73 easting, opposition at the intial base. I was support, running around, repairing vehicles... I had a high score, few kills and 2 flag events. But the score was like 24. I'll research the score.

So, you could have 5 kills, 5 TKs and no "Flag events" which would give you a -5 team score.

Excessive negative team points is bad, maybe anything below -10 gets left out.

Even Government Cheese is at 103 with a -2.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    My gameplay style is to pick a flag and hold it the entire map. So my kills may not be that high but I usually do OK with the "capture points" and total score.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

So "team points" are really the same thing as "capture points"?
    If so, you should make the labels the same for clarity.

Also, if skill is (KD * AVG_Team_Pts) / Rounds_Played then substituting in my
    numbers doesn't return the figure you list for skill. What am I doing wrong?

EX:
    (2.167 * 2.058) / 34 = 0.121 doesn't match what's on the page.

The Alternate display thing is a cool idea, but I think it ultimately would make the page more confusing to look at (a zillion numbers.) If you could just click on the column headings and jump to a page with the set sorted that way it would be more intuitive and clearer.

====

Finally some brainstorming on skill. Here are the items that I think should go into the equation:

Kill Ratio. Calculated by Kills/Rounds played. Award for effectiveness as a killer.

K/D ratio. Higher = survivability. Award for this.

Avg Team Points per round. (Non-Kill Points / Rounds played.) Helping your team, award for this.

Medals - Gold/Silver/Bronze. Dominating the game and the other players in it. Award something for each. (Example .75 for each gold, .50 for each Silver, .25 for each Bronze

So you are awarding for Killing, Suriviving, Helping, and Dominating.

===
    We also need to figure out how to deal with negatives. Either round them to zero for calculation or penalize in some way.

Finally - I'd call this something other than 'skill'. It's more of a "rank" than a skill when you start mixing in flag captures.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Just thought of something... We have to normalize the medals award for rounds played. If a guy plays 6000 rounds at a decent level, the medal awards will push him to the top.

So something like this for medals:

Medal Award = (NumGold*0.75 + NumSilver*0.5 + NumBronze*0.25)/ Rounds Played

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Here's how the top portion of the stats page would look with my proposed changes in effect:

The "former rank" column is the current ranking as it exists on the page. You can see how the modifiers shuffle things around.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking that the medal modifier needs to be multiplied by 10 to get it on par with the rest of the awards.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Pushed down from 13 to 15? I hate it!
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Hehe... It's interesting to study the movement of players up and down based on a more rounded evaluation of play components. Demonseed is so grossly overweighted in the kill and KD department that it overwhelms his shortcomings elsewhere.

The nice part about this scheme is that everyone seems to sort out about where you'd think they would based on our experience of playing together. It seems to be working.

I do like the fact that it figures in rounds played and averages it out makes for a more balanced skill assessment. The guy with the most time or rounds played, or for that matter the guy with the most kills won't necesarily have the highest rank.

This was started prior to the new suggested skill/rank suggested by Squidly. My only issue is this if you have a guy on all night with nothing but idiots he can run up his kd ratio and capture tons of flags win gold medal after gold medal and increase his rank that really doesnt reflect against other regulars. There really needs to be some sort fo calculation reflecting between players as well, I am not trying to make things more difficult but in order to truly assess skill there has to be that between player factor in order to be accurate.
    Last edited by [AK]Gunny Highway; 02-18-2004 at 06:47 AM.

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!

Administrator
    August Knights
    Assistant Recruiter

I like Squidly's suggestion - though my guess is the weighting factors may need tweaking as we go.

My one suggestion - and it's only a tweak to an excellent job - is to weigh the team score heavily. Support guys may not get a lot of kills guarding an uncontested flag, but are crucial to the overall victory.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

I'd be more inclined to handicap the kill bonus than boost the team score.

Maybe make the Kill bonus = (Kills/Rounds Played) * .80

So that portion counts 20% less. But I'm not so sure it's a good idea... Kills should still be involved. in a large way. A big killer/basecamper can absolutely hold down an enemy team and be directly involved in allowing his teammates grab all those flags elsewhere on the map.

Regarding the kills bonus that Gunny is talking about, whether or not
    you can do this depends on if the stats file that Chooz downloads includes
    the "killed by" information.

the data i receive is the "End Round Screen" No individula player interactions.

This needs to be tweaked, and I like the discussion.

Squid, I mentioned the Capture/Team confusion in my first post. Fixing it for tonight's batch of goodies.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

That pretty much is that w/regard to who-killed-who bonuses. I think this "averaging" ranking system is about as close as we're going to get to something that is fair for everyone.

Chooz - can you implement and we can see how it shakes out. If dominating killers like Demonseed start to lock up the top from more team oriented players we can throttle them back with the "kill modifier" I mentioned in the response to Clay.