Thread: Screen resolution problems

August Knights

Screen resolution problems

Today I installed the new NVidia drivers for my Geforce4 MX 440 and whenever I restarted the computer afterwards, it switched to 800x600 (before installation it was at 1024x768). I try switching back to 1024x768, but my monitor goes black and then comes back after it switches back to 800x600. So, I uninstalled the drivers, restarted the computer and I was back at 1024x768. Seems great, but now all the movies I have play upside down(WTF?) and I can't load some of the games on my comp. So, the default windows drivers(what I assume was loaded there) are screwed up.

I tried to install the drivers I had before the first updtate, but got the same result as the newest drivers. So, I haven't got a clue how to fix this. I can have a working computer at 800x600 or one that sometimes works at 1024x768. Any help would be appreciated, cause I'm stumped.

August Knights

Did all that, only thing was that whenever it was finished restarting after the unintstall, it would automatically reinstall new drivers before I got a chance to install any of my own. Is there a way to disable that windows feature temporarily or should that not matter? Stupid question I'm sure, but I've never really had a problem doing this before so it's all new to me.

what operating system are you running?

August Knights

XP Pro

it's probably installing the nvidia drivers provided by default after windows xp is installed. check the driver details in the system control panel. the drivers should say microsoft.

you should be able to update just fine. if not, try installing in safe mode (press f8 after your bios screen). should that fail, you're probably sol until you flatten and reinstall (format your computer). you may or may not know you can boot to your windows xp cd and format and reinstall with its setup program.

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    It you really want to have the drivers out for good. Use this utility.
    Nvidia Detonator
    This will make darn certain all associated driver files for Nvidia cards are wipped and gone. I hope this helps you out.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Buy an ATI card.

Originally posted by [AK]Squidly
    Buy an ATI card.
    ditto...... 9600xt best deal for money!

Originally posted by [AK]StitchJones
    It you really want to have the drivers out for good. Use this utility.
    Nvidia Detonator
    This will make darn certain all associated driver files for Nvidia cards are wipped and gone. I hope this helps you out.
    my only gripe with detonator is it requires the .net framework to be installed. i'm not going to download a 23mb installation file to execute a file from a 33kb zip file. i'm sure it works well, but i doubt i'd use the .net framework enough to justify its download and installation.

also, ati has its driver problems too.

Originally posted by the wolffman
    ati has its driver problems too.
    True, but as of recent I have found the quality and stability with ATI's products to be very very comforting. I loved my TI4600 card and the GeForce 3 card that I owned. And I appreciate your stance on the whole .net framwork. But hey, what's 23mb between friends.

August Knights

Thanks for the help guys. Strangely enough, after uninstalling/installing several different times and restarting the comp a few dozen times, it eventually just started working again. Not sure what the hell I did to fix it, but I guess it managed to fix itself somehow. *shrug*