Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passion?

Passion?

Seen some post on movies here.
    Has anyone seen passion of the christ? Wife talked me into seeing it. When they use cat of 9 tails on him I swear everyone watching the movie covered their eyes, every female was crying, Myself I was left speechless for the first time since I can remember. Anyways good movie to see before it gets banned, Yes they are trying to ban is in the united states.

There is a reason that looks so real, during the filming they has a steel plate strapped to his back that they were suppsoed to hit, but they missed a couple of times and the actor said it hurt so bad he couldn't even make a sound. Also when he was strapped to the crucifix he was struck by lightning, that would be enough for me to not want to continue

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!

Administrator
    August Knights
    Assistant Recruiter

In trying to decide if I really want to see a 2 hour torture scene - I'm leaning towards the no. I support the movie, but just not sure I see much "entertainment" value in it for me. This may have to do with the fact that I just got through reading "Fly Boys", and am still a little shell-shocked.

-Clay

August Knights

Originally posted by [AK?]Clay
    In trying to decide if I really want to see a 2 hour torture scene - I'm leaning towards the no. I support the movie, but just not sure I see much "entertainment" value in it for me. This may have to do with the fact that I just got through reading "Fly Boys", and am still a little shell-shocked.

-Clay
    Clay, what's Fly Boys about?

Administrator
    August Knights
    Assistant Recruiter

Not to hijack the thread, but it's about the Pacific air campaign in WWII. Specifically, it focuses on the siege of Chicha Jima and the fate of the downed pilots on that island. It's an excellent book. The author spends considerable time discussing the nature of warfare in that era to provide the necessary background to understand the actions and decisions made. The reality of that era was more horrid than any fictional display of Hell on Earth I've ever encountered -it's pretty hair raising reading. By the way, one of those downed pilots went on to later become the President of the United States.

It's a page-turner that's a must read for people who quest for knowledge and have a passion for history. Anybody who isn't just a little shell shocked after reading it though is a harder man than I.
    Last edited by [AK?]Clay; 03-08-2004 at 11:32 AM.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

George Bush.

August Knights

Thanks Clay, I will check it out....

My first thought was George Bush, but I see Palooka beat me to the punch.

Thumbs up

I just picked up tickets to the passion today, going to see it Wednesday night with my wife, the in-laws, and a close friend of the family. I'll give you my 2cents soon after. I'm hearing lots of postive things about it from fellow believers and many others at work. I'm really looking forward to it, shouldn't be to many suprises, I've already read the book!

My #1 fear of seeing that movie is that I would laugh...

seriously, Final destination 2 was the funniest movie I have ever seen.. and gorey with lots of death.. killing things online (Halo and other FPSers) often gives me a good laugh..

Just have a feeling I would get looked at funny and gawked at it I went in there with an open mind and laughed (though I hear it would be hard to, and just not right)...
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

I thought I would be the same way and laugh, But I was surprised at the movie made me think alot, All he would have to do is say that he wasnt the messiah and it was over, but he held he ground and while they are beating him he asked his father to forgive, nothing more just to forgive them. Only thing I had a problem with was the lady next to me started crying at the first screen.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Laughter would be sort of a strange reaction...

To say the least.

Church groups are seeing the movie like crazy. The best quote from a San Francisco paper was from an 8 year old girl who saw the movie and said, "It's not like what they told us in Sunday School". Okay. Who brings their 8 year old to a R rated movie dealing with torture and 'death'. C'mon people!

The other good line from the article is that during the ressurection scene people in an Oakland theater stood up and started shouting 'Go Jesus! Go Jesus!'. You can see it in your head now, cant you?

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Personally, I want to wait for the DVD. I'm not comfortable seeing and feeling the impact of this movie in a crowded theatre with a bunch of potential asshats. My religious beliefs are a personal matter and I'd rather experience this movie in the privacy of my own home.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

August Knights

Our church is sending two groups this week to see it.....
    My wife and I will be seeing it Saturday night. Can't wait to check it out....

Personally, I want to wait for the DVD. I'm not comfortable seeing and feeling the impact of this movie in a crowded theatre with a bunch of potential asshats. My religious beliefs are a personal matter and I'd rather experience this movie in the privacy of my own home.
    - I know how you feel Bribo, I was going to wait myself, but I keep hearing so many things about it that I couldn't wait anymore.....

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

There's nothing like seeing a film like this on the big screen, though, Bribo. And chances are, you would find nearly any given audience to be completely respectful. The audience I saw it with sat in utter silence for the entire duration with the exception of a few expressions of shock (like "whoa" and "aaah") and some quiet weeping.

And Slaughter, you'd have to be a morally bankrupt, heartless individual to laugh at the torture in the film. The Passion isn't a silly teenybopper horror flick with improbable violence and gore like Final Destination 2. The torture is very realistic and incredibly sadistic. Andy Rooney might have a few laughs while watching the film, as he predicted, but most people won't. Of course, Rooney is senile, so he can be forgiven for his asinine comments.

I think it's very interesting that The Passion has been pounded in the press for being too violent when completely irreverant Hollywood tripe like Final Destination 2 and innumerable other similar movies, with their unnecessary and meaningless violence and gore, get a free pass. The Passion's violence is deeply meaningful to Christians, who make up 85% of this country. This fact is totally lost on the secular left-wingers in the media.

I'd say Saving Private Ryan, due to its incredible realism, is still the most shockingly violent film I've seen, and I don't remember seeing Spielberg take a bashing like Gibson has. Could it be that Gibson has gone off the reservation with his Christian film? I think so.