Thread: NV40 reviews are out and its a big ol can o whoopass!

NV40 reviews are out and its a big ol can o whoopass!

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    HardOCP reviews it here. While not blowing the ATI 9800XT out of the water it does consistenly beat it.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

More from bluesnews.com:

GeForce 6 Announced
    NVIDIA Launches GeForce 6 Series (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040414/sfw069_1.html) - Biggest Performance and Feature Leap in Company History is the press release with the announcement that accompanies the spate of previews in this morning's Tech Bits. The release offers technical info as well as the usual use of phrases like "Industry-leading" and "revolutionary" in touting what they call "the biggest generation-to-generation performance leap that we have ever seen with a new GPU." Word is: "Retail graphics boards based on the GeForce 6800 models are slated for release in the next 45 days." The release also quotes industry luminaries John Carmack and Tim Sweeney on the new hardware:

"As DOOM 3 development winds to a close, my work has turned to development of the next generation rendering technology. The NV40 is my platform of choice due to its support of very long fragment programs, generalized floating point blending and filtering, and the extremely high performance," said John Carmack, president and technical director of id Software

And:

"The NVIDIA GeForce 6 Series is a great leap forward in PC graphics, bringing next-generation Microsoft DirectX 9 rendering performance to new heights while continuing forward with the high-definition floating-point rendering, driver performance, and stability NVIDIA is famous for," stated Tim Sweeney, Founder EPIC Games. "As the first GPU supporting the new Pixel Shader 3.0 programming model, the GeForce 6 Series enables games to use entirely new rendering approaches and obtain higher performance per-pixel lighting, shadowing, and special effects than previously possible."
    [AK]Bribo

And from Gizmodo:

• [TheTechReport] "The NV40 is exceptionally good, with no notable weaknesses in performance or capability. NVIDIA has caught up to ATI's seminal R300 chip in virtually every respect, while adding a host of new features that make NV40 a better graphics processor, including long shader programs, more mathematical precision, and floating-point framebuffer blends."

• [TrustedReviews] "To sum it all up, the GeForce 6800 Ultra is the fastest and most impressive graphics card I have ever seen and I’m not easily impressed. On the down side, you do need a high-end PC and a small nuclear reactor, if you want to get the most out of it, but such is the lot of the early adopter."

• [Hexus] "It's ridiculously fast compared to R360 in some tests, if you avoid the 8X supersampling mode. But there lies the rub. Shouldn't we expect good high-end antialiasing performance with their latest generation GPU?"

Sounds like we have a new top dog.
    [AK]Bribo

Man what a monster! I kinda hope the 420 from ATI later this month will be similar performing so a price war of sorts gets goin.

The thread I posted earlier today about the new unreal engine is being showcased on the NV40, where they mentioned that it's the first card that could actually push the pollies at a reasonable rate.