Thread: Offline Folder Sync

Offline Folder Sync

Okay, this one is killing me.

Windows 2003 Server
    Windows XP Professional

Roaming User Profiles

Folder Redirection is set in Group Policy to have 'My Documents' point to server share (\\server\user$\My Documents)

On the workstation, I turned on Offline Files.

I log on as a user, open 'My Documents' (verified that I'm actually looking at the shared version). I delete a text file. I log off. When I log back on, the file is back.

When I deleted the file from 'My Documents' (the share)... the offline copy remains. When I log back on and sychronization takes place, the offline copy is pushed back up to the server.

Hence, when I delete a file from 'My Documents' it comes right back.

ARG
    I'd like to keep offline files turned on that way if the server goes down, the captain can still access his personal files. And we want their personal files on the server so that we can back them up.

What am I doing wrong?

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar

Article from Technet subscription

Here is a article that may help. I hope it does.

To delete your offline files
    1. Open My Computer
    2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    3. On the Offline Files tab, click Delete Files.
    4. In the Confirm File Delete dialog box, select the check box next to the shared folder that contains the offline files you want to delete.
    5. Do one of the following:

To remove copies of the network files Windows automatically stores on your computer, click Delete only the temporary offline versions.

To remove the network files that are automatically stored on your computer as well as the network files you specifically made available offline, click Delete both the temporary offline versions and the versions that are always available offline.

Note

To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.

To delete individual offline files, on the Offline Files tab, click View Files. Select the files you want to delete. On the File menu, click Delete.

Temporary offline files are also known as automatically cached files. These shared network files are automatically downloaded and made available to you on your computer when you open them. You do not need to make these files available offline, they are available automatically. Windows may remove them from your local cache at any time if more more disk space is needed for other temporary files.

The shared network files that you have specifically made available offline are always available to you. These files will not be removed from your computer unless you delete them.