Thread: Paintball - June 6

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "

Paintball - June 6

I'm going to On-Target. You know you want to too. Anyone? Anyone?

Bunkering Bunkered Clueless

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

I'm in.

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar

Thumbs up

Barring anything unforeseen, I'll be there. I need to pick up a new bolt, hopefully I can get one in time.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Let me know. I can pick one up at the store for you today or tomorrow. They have like dozens in stock and I'm going there anyway after work today.

Thanks for the offer, Squid, but my local store had what I was looking for. I'm now the owner of a Shocktech Super Fly Long bolt, and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Superfly?

Righteous!

BTW, Evil is now on sale for $50 a case. That's a great price.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

I just cleaned and oiled my gun--I'm rarin' to go!

On the same note, when I disassembled my gun, I found some minor but visible scratching on my bolt. Not sure how that happened--it wasn't scratched after the scenario event when I dropped my components in the dust, and I've cleaned and oiled it after each game. I popped off a couple rounds in my basement, and it doesn't seem to impede performance, but I'll be keeping a VERY watchful eye on it--I might be getting a new bolt soon myself.

Oh, and Squidly, your suggestion about soaking the mask in the kitchen sink to clean it worked like a charm--thanks!
    Last edited by [AK]The Beast; 06-03-2004 at 04:58 PM.

A scratched bolt is not a problem, and is quite normal in spyders. What you have to watch is if it scratches the receiver. I replaced my bolt because I was worried about scratching and I wanted to eliminate the loud and annoying firing noise of my gun.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Here are 3 of Faxman's photos from the May 1st event.
    Squid
    Beast
    Squid

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

We had a great time at On-Target today--small turnout due to the morning drizzle and general overcast weather, but in some ways that was good. We played 7 games of woodsball before lunch alone. Couple that with about 5 games of speedball and a few more rounds of woodsball after lunch, and we got our money's worth. I'd definitely say that I had my best outing yet--I think I picked up 8 or 9 kills today, including one really sweet speedball kill where an opponent came sliding in trying to get behind a pipe on my right--he didn't see me, so I had plenty of time to sight in and pop off three rounds, at least one of which tagged him out. Just like golf, shots like that happen often enough to keep me going back for more, more, more.

We also had a bit of excitement during the "St. Pauli Girl Post-Game Show, live from Squidly's Deck"....but I'll leave it to Squidly and Faxman to tell that story.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Yeah, it was a great (and later, interesting) time. The crowd picked up later on in the morning, and we were having some games with 20+ a side.

We played a mess of games, and I finished with 17 kills, 7 deaths. Some great speedball action for sure. After getting smoked the first couple of rounds, all three of us seemed to get in the groove. I tagged 5 guys in the last two games. On-Target is in the process of setting up an indoor field (it's almost done) so we should have a good place to play rain-or-shine year round.

Afterwards, we headed to my place and were sitting on my deck drinking a couple of beers and "debriefing" the days events when we heard a loud screeeeech and a couple of big crashing booms. A huge accident occured on the road behind my house. All three of us ran up to see that an SUV had been "t-boned" at our intersection. It was flipped over on its side, and it had come to rest with it's windshield up against a telephone pole. Not good! It was also smoking pretty badly. We ran down and checked it out. We were among the first folks there (my wife was calling 911). I helped a guy up to the top of the wreck and we opened the door to check on the occupant. It was a lady in her early 30's. She was pretty shaken up (very understandable). The car that had hit her was smashed up pretty good as well, but their passengers were ok. Needless to say a huge crowd soon assembled and a ton of police and rescue vehicles arrived in short order. The EMT/Rescue guys asked Fax, Beast and I to hold the truck steady while they broke the window out to extract the victim from the car. The three of us were braced underneath this big SUV, trying to ensure it didn't flop back over while they were doing the rescue.

Eventually firemen came and installed metal braces, relieving us of the chore.

After the woman was extracated, we headed back to my deck to finish our beers and talk about what we had just been through. Definitely not your average Sunday afternoon!

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Steak Weltage on parade

Squidly's leg
    Beast's arm
    Fax's leg
    The deck, after we ran off to see what crashed

That first leg welt is now a deep dark juicy black bruise about the size of a softball.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

LOL--I love looking at our PB "injury" pics. The bruise on my arm is completely gone; the one on the back of my right shoulder is still there and if I bump into something with it, I can still feel it a bit.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

I've got 3 that are still extremely tender. The thigh one above, my kidney and my left bicep (also nicely black-n-blue).

I was talking to a cashier at Barnes and Noble on Monday, after he commented on the cover of a paintball magazine I was buying. He said something like "I wonder how they hold their guns up like that...I'd think that that would give you arm-strain". I showed him the welt on my arm and said
    "It's not the arm strains that you have to worry about". lol

August Knights

I would have to say you guys definitely know how to have a great time...