Thread: The French really do hate us

The French really do hate us

This is from Hammy, one of the Windhund, and his recent trip to Normandy for the 60th Anniversary of D-Day...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I just returned from a weeklong trip to Normandy and Paris, and thought I'd share all my pictures with those who can appreciate them.

We stayed in Cherbourg, and here is a picture of the group and buses. Note the guy in the black shirt. He is a captain in the 101st airborne, and was one of the guys injured last year in that grenade attack at the base. His left leg was badly injured, and he is still in pain, and still has a bad limp. He said he still has over 400 pieces of shrapnel left in him.

First stop was Utah beach on June 5.

Here's me at the beach:

We were honored to have this gentleman and his son and daughter on our trip.

Phillip Scaglione was a sergeant, and came onto Utah beach on D-Day (29th Division, 115th Infantry, M Company), and was injured twice in hedgerow fighting, getting shipped home on D +9. On D+3, he was with his unit when they came under mortar attack...all within his squad took shrapnel - the others all unable to walk. He goes back to an aid station to get help, but upon return to the other guys, finds them all turned face down and shot in the back of the head.
    On D+6, he was sent out with 5 new faces on a recon mission 20 miles behing enemy lines at night. The 6 made it 18 miles before coming upon a German artillery convoy, most being bulled by horses. They all laid in a ditch hoping not to be noticed, but the last vehicle in the convoy was a halftrack with a panning searchlight on it's rear. One of the guys with him thought the ligth was going to spot them and began firing. The halftrack cut loose with it's mounted machine gun, and Sgt Scaglione laid still in the ditch pretending to be dead. After 15 minutes, we looked up to find the 5 others with him dead.
    He made it back to camp wounded, and told them what he saw...the airforce supposedly acted on his report later on.

More pics from Utah beach:

Saint Mere Eglise...such a wonderful town! The entire atmosphere was so festive.

C47 circling the town just as we arrived:

The buildings to the right in this shot were shelled in the few days after D-Day, and 18 civilians were killed. On the left, there used to be a row of trees, and this is where several of the paratroopers landed, getting stuck in the trees, and subsequently being killed while still in their parachutes.

Reenactors in front of the church (of note, almost all reenactors I saw were either French or Belgian):

Front of the church (Replica of Private John Steele dangling from the tower):

Stained glass window inside church:

View inside a Waco glider at airborne museum:

A veteran of the 101st being interviewed:

It wasn't until I got home that I noticed his hat...he was in Easy Company, 506th...anyone recognize him?

At 2pm on June 5th, 600 US and French paratroopers jumped just outside of town near La Fiere...it was quite a sight:

Almost ever house and business in Normandy was decorated during this time. I saw more American flags there than I EVER see for 4th of July here.

A somber reminder we came upon while walking down one of the backstreets of Saint Mere Eglise:

More pics to come...
    Last edited by [AK]Choozoo; 06-14-2004 at 09:33 AM.
    **I just have nothing cool enough to put here**

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Again, nobody said that ill-feeling and ingratitude towards the United States was universal.

Just predominant.

August Knights

Great pictures Chooz!!!
    Thanks for sharing, that story about Sgt. Scaglione really chokes you up when you realize all he went through....

By the way, your pretty good looking guy, what are you doing this weekend????

it was sarcasm squid. ¡relaje! I knew the title would make people look. It's my style of "Sensationalist" Forum Posting (© Le Chooz, 2004)

@DD, it's not me, it's Hammy from Windhund. Want me to get you two in touch?
    Last edited by [AK]Choozoo; 06-14-2004 at 09:34 AM.
    **I just have nothing cool enough to put here**

Nice Pics,

When I was over in Paris last year with Ohio Music Ambassadors there were Anti-America Protests going on in the streets.. boy was that a fun time.

Of course most of those were due to the fact we had recently invaded Iraq (well, 3-4 months ago at that time).
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Great pics and a great story, Chooz. I'm glad to see from a first hand account there are still some French who appreciate the sacrifice these men made on their behalf.

But there is still some distressing elements emerging even from this D-Day memorial: Read this.

On the eve of D-Day ceremonies, an association dedicated to the memory of Saint-Lô as it was before the destruction of the city organized a debate in the local theater involving two veterans, survivors of the bombing of the city and high school students aged 15 to 17.

The title of the debate, suggested by questions from the students, was "The Battle of Normandy, Invasion or Liberation?"

The very fact that this is even a topic of debate shows how far the leftists and revisionists have taken the anti-American sentiment in France.

Distressing.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

August Knights

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Choozoo
    @DD, it's not me, it's Hammy from Windhund. Want me to get you two in touch?
    Nah, it just wouldn't be the same.... LOL .....