Thread: Dev team Blunders

CampFire Dev team Blunders

Personally the Dev team lost it on this game in many area.

HO skiing - based on the size of maps, amount of vehicles, and increase in damage by weapons on Heavies.

Rabbit, Hunter, DM maps are to big!

Same maps, inv stations are in goofy places.

Blaster should have never been brought back! Stupid weapon

All the wonderful added features in T2: Browser, email, irc, forums. Nice thought, poor performance.

They explained this game would play well on dial up, cable, etc. So far, I'm not seeing a lot of "At a Boys" going their way on this! The system requirements seem never to match what they had in mind for normal computer specs.
    In short, this game is getting less and less of my attention.

Sorry guys, Venting a little steam!

[AK]NeverRetreat

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

ColorLightbulb

Right there with you, sir.

Right there with you.

[AK]Wid'

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

I have to disagree on your blaster sentiments, NR. In T1, my favorite thing to do was to run around the enemy base in Broadside with a shield pack and a plasma gun. I made it a habit of breaking 100 on that map, and even broke 150 on a couple of occasions. However, I'm finding that inner-base, close-quarters combat is not as easy for me in T2 as it was in T1. This is because the plasma rifle in T2 is simply not as effective as its T1 cousin. In my opinion, the blaster is a better alternative. In narrow halls, it is absolutely deadly, especially if you are using a shield pack, since it is really easy to kill yourself with the damned thing due to ricochets. The blaster was a useless piece of crap in T1, but it is a monster in T2, if used effectively.

I agree with everything else you said, NR.

------------------
    [AK]Palooka
    August Knights CEO
    AK Webmaster

browser, chat, forums, and every feature of the game run well for me. takes a while to check forums, but i can only suspect my 56k.

as for the blaster, it's handy for base infiltration; when i'm in doubt, i aim at the opposite wall and fire, watching the beam bounce and hit enemies.

skiing is weird in t2... in kabatic, i travel down a mountain faster just running down it rather than holding the space bar.

the big rabbit maps are helpful for when you're the rabbit. more room to evade enemies!

inventory stations are sometimes placed in bizarre places, but i always thought vehicle stations were worse (best example: thin ice - ctf).

wolff

Talking

It hasn't lived up to my expectations so far. It's a great game, but I've noticed myself lingering back to EQ. I have been playing both though.. so I dunno.. Great, but not great enough.

------------------
    [AK]Slaughter
    slaughter@augustknights.com
    'The slaughter fest has begun, punk.'

Slautganken - Lvl 10 Human Paladin
    Slaughterin - Lvl 5 Barbarian Warrior
    Slaughtarol - Lvl 7 Iskar Monk
    Shokwaive - Lvl 2 Human Magician
    Ozumar - Lvl 2 Dark Elf Shadow Knight
    Moonika - Lvl 2 High Elf Enchanter

well, i think the dev team will eventually fix all the problems the game has. they're human after all, and it's an american-made game. remember nitro pack?

By the time they figure out and fix many of the issues that lay before them currently, people will have moved on. Their desire to manifest this game to T3 will vanish as quickly.

Yes they are human, however, in corporate America you don't put a product on the market with this many issues and expect to survive.

You don't get second chances to do it right the first time...

[AK]NeverRetreat

they had more people get the game than they thought. many different systems and people to work with. from newbies to veterans (if any right now) and all in between. i know quite a few people that play well, but know nothing about their computer.

nitro pack somehow survived. they did come out with i'82, didn't they? or how about windows me? that's still giving microsoft business. heck, i find it to be great software. haven't had a bsod in a while!

[This message has been edited by Wolff (edited 04-24-2001).]

Here since the Beginning HitMan's Avatar
    Ahh yes I remember that Palook

I usually joined you if I wasn't out in the field sniping, or setting up turrets.

I took A Plasma Gun, Chaingun, and Grenade launcher with the Shield pack, and usually picked up a disc launcher when my Grenade or plasma was gone. That usually lasted forever, just pick up another guy's repair kit, and used those to fix yourself up, while taking their ammo, wrecking their base, and making the game a total hell for the other team.

And what's wrong with the blaster? It's my sniping weapon for heavies/mediums although it doesn't do as much damage in one shot like the laser rifle did, it does more over a longer period of time.

-HM

ColorLightbulb

Blaster sucks...no killing power, and I would love for anyone to attempt to use it on me while I'm in a heavy on either Tribes or Tribes 2...you'd be pulling shrapnel from your teeth and respawning constantly.

Its definitely a newbie weapon...Period!
    They made a script called Blasterless for a reason...

Lessons given free of charge...anytime!

[AK]NeverRetreat

I think Heavy skiing is a great thing, you would understand after killing 5 lights in a row what a usefull tool skiing is to heavys

Blaster

------------------
    If It's Free Take 2
    -Drewski

[This message has been edited by Drewski (edited 04-25-2001).]

Here since the Beginning HitMan's Avatar

WrongWay

I realise that the blaster seems like a newbie weapon, but really, it's how you use it, and the use in it that's really underestimated IMO. I've taken heavies down with it (I use it at long range, not mid-short range, seeing as in mid range the blaster drops in effectiveness the more you move inside). I've also used it in a duel, but I don't fire more than 3 shots at a time with the blaster, to conserve energy.

It's all about how you use the weapon, really. It's more of a taste issue I guess. As far as the No-Blaster script goes, I never used that. If that's the one that makes you throw your blaster as soon as you spawn, no I never use that. I think it's a mistake not to take an energy based weapon into combat. Everything else has ammo, which means you don't have much of anything once you run out of discs, grenades, chaingun ammo, whatever may have you.

I usually carry a Laser Rifle rather than a blaster though (I have a nack for picking off people as they come over a hill to pin me with a disc in duels), but the blaster does well too. But like I say, I only use 3 shots at a time, so I have enough juice left to jump out of the way. The blaster really is a technique weapon rather than an instant-kill weapon, with the right technique you can use it for just about anything, just like the Laser Rifle is (that's right, even though all snipers use it, it's not the only thing it's good at) and as is the ELF gun (although the ELF is more of a tool than a weapon, it can be used as such if used right). However also like I said, it's a matter of taste as well if you want to have the maximum fire power you can get at all times, then don't use the blaster. If you want something that will keep with you, and if used right will be something you can use to keep you on the battlefield longer, then by all means use it. Just remember that killing power isn't everything with a weapon in tribes.

On a side note: when I've sniped people with blasters, it killed them faster than the laser rifle did. Also it came in a close 2nd to the chaingun vs. heavies, with how fast it takes them out, and this is at long range, where you can't really use most of your firepower, except a mortar, or disc (and discs at long range isn't very effective). Don't under rate/under estimate this weapon. I personally don't. Then again I'm speaking about tribes, and not tribes 2 (I have no clue how the Blaster is in tribes 2)

-HM

[This message has been edited by HitMan (edited 04-27-2001).]