Thread: Satellite Internet Connection for my R.V.

Satellite Internet Connection for my R.V.

OK, so I want to get satellite internet connection and TV for my R.V. I'm looking at Direcway offered by Rapid Satellite . I want to mount the satellite on a tripod so that I can move it away from any trees we may be camped under. My question is this---I'm assuming that to get good transmission and reception (especially for the internet) I really have to "tune" the dish to the satellite every time I set it up. This probabley requires some type of signal level meter. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I should use or buy? Can anyone recommend any other company to use? Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Pops
    No law protects anyone from the act breaking it. The Law is strictly to proscribe the punishment for abusing one's freedom of action by infringing on the freedoms of others. The Law does not impute righteousness upon the offender, the Law imputes the sin of the offender.

Although I'm sure meters are available, honestly Pops I don't think you need one. I got a really small portable TV and I just bring it to the dish along with a receiver. For me, it sure beats the hell out of screaming (or using radios or cellphones) at somebody watching the receiver inside.

Most important, I think, is getting a decent $15 compass with adjustable declination and built-in inclinometer. I use a classic Silva Ranger. Brunton bought out Silva in the U.S. and sells the same model.

The key is making sure your tripod is perfectly plumb. It's then a simple matter using the compass settings the receiver tells you. I can do it now, even on multiple LNB dishes in only a couple of minutes.

Another thing to remember is that as long as your latitude doesn't change, you never have to adjust the dish elevation, just set the tripod up plumb and use the compass to set the azimuth and you should be dead on.

I found a palm app to calculate magnetic declination for anywhere on earth here. I have no idea if it works or not. Alternately, just search for USGS magnetic declination.
    Hasta,
    Boom

Something to keep in mind, a friend of mine had direct-way and they throttle your connection to < 56k if you exceed there quota for the day ~500MB I think, even with 24 hrs of online gameplay i doubt you'd exceed that, but if your downloading music and movies then ....

Regarding signal meters, you can get them on ebay, the $15 are junk. You want to spend around $50+ but unless your in a real hurry really all you need is a compass and someone watching the strength meter on the tv its quite simple I have setup a number of dtv dishes over the years with basic reference to the south and thats it.

There are mobile dishes you can get that require no aiming and you can watch tv while your on the move although they are pretty expensive

Perhaps one of your kids will be you this: KVH TracVision L3

This would fit the bill nicely, eh?

Hmmmm. Thanks for all the leads and info. Looks Like Direcway DW6000 won't work for me. System requires an FCC certified installation and in their FAQs they say it's not for R.V.s. Must have something to do with the Uplink capabilities. It's a two-way satellite system. Guess I'll just have to wait till one of my kids can buy me the self tuning ones
    No law protects anyone from the act breaking it. The Law is strictly to proscribe the punishment for abusing one's freedom of action by infringing on the freedoms of others. The Law does not impute righteousness upon the offender, the Law imputes the sin of the offender.