Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First outting with new gear

First outting with new gear

I headed out this morning to one of the local feilds to drop in a play some woodsball with my new gear (thanks Faxman). I bought my paint, got ready to head out in the staging area and was read the riot act when one of the field employee's who was on his day off asked me if I would sub in on a 3 on 3 airball match they call it airball here for some reason, but anyways I knew what he was talking about. So I think to myself, i've maybe put 5 rounds through this gun I just got at the target range 5 minutes prior and this guy wants me to join in on a speedball match.... Sure what the hell
    so I head over to the speedball arena a pretty big rectangle with inflated objects. (keep in mind this is all new to me guys) I enter the arean and I look over at the other guys I am playing agains all wearing Dye jerseys and pants and they all match and they all have what appear to be Dye matrix markers... Oh $hit I thought, I am toast I ask the guy who invited me to join how good these guys are and his response was "They suck, they've just got alot of money" Ok well that didn't make me feel that much better considering the rate of fire i'd seen them producing while I watched earlier but I thought what the hell. My heart was pounding and I thought this would be a damn cool experience so we go back and start at the "brick" ? and the ref blows the whistle I run about 20 feet to the nearest object for cover, while firing wilding at the guy across the arena who's firing at me and dive down behind the cover I poped my head out and saw my opponents and a stream of paint comming my way and dropped back then popped my head out again and took about 3 rounds to the mask and body. The whole duration of these events lasted about 20 seconds.... I know why its called speedball now. But wow what a rush, alot different that woodsball. I played in about 4 or 5 more matches but went to 4 on 4 and had alot of fun before going back over to the woodsball field. Wow is all I have to say what fun... I am now already looking at the tournement level markers definetly an addictive hobby/sport.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Welcome to our addiction... Sounds like you had a good time.

Fax and I played yesterday at On-Target and we got so many games in that we were done before 1pm. (I was out of paint.) In one game I shot a hopper and 3 of my 140 round pods...

Another game (played on a huge hyperball field) was 11 on 11... That's a LOT of paint in the air...

Beautiful day for playing... very low humidity and temperatures in the upper 70's.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

I definetly had a blast. I quickly realized that there is so much skill required to this game and its not just "running around shooting at people" its alot like play a fps online there is strategy and tactics. It is very cool, although woodsball is fun speedball is so different. I know exactly what you guys all meant when you needed to upgrade your markers to play in speedball, I didn't do too bad with my spyder, but my rate of fire was inferior to my teamates and opponents. I was using the crappy field paint they give to the renters diablo generic red casing, and correct me if I am wrong crappy paint is what causes your shots to deviate ?
    With the guns you guys use, Squidly alien, Fax BKO, when using quality paint do you shot fly true and on traget every shot ? Or very close. I seem to have about a 3 ft radius grouping or there was atleast that much deviation. My velocity seem very consistant it was dead on at 270, 269 at the crono.

There is a new field ambush paintball that is hosting some tournements this month I plan on going to watch and maybe pickup some pointers.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

I have an Angel, not an alien.

Some paint is better than others, and some guns are more tolerant of bad paint than others. Still, if your paint is dimpled and lopsided, it's going to curve and wobble.

Assuming good consistant paint, my gun is very accurate. I can hit hoppers, shoes, etc. Beyond rate of fire, accuracy is one of the huge differences between low end and high end guns.
    The sun has fallen down

I have an Angel, not an alien.
    Oops sorry Can you post a link to where I can read up on the mechanical differences between tournement grade markers ?

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Scout around http://www.pbreview.com/forums/index.php...particularly the general and newbie sections...
    It's a treasure trove of info. You can literally read it for weeks.
    The sun has fallen down

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar
    Glad you enjoyed the gear! I'm loving my BKO. The change in play is dramatic. It seems like I can thread a needle with a paintball now. Precise shots abound with lower quality paint. My first time out with the BKO, I had some awful oily, dimpled paint, and I was still astounded by the accuracy. On Sunday, I was breaking in the new reg, and was using some rec quality paint, and had a good majority of hopper hits and even an ankle hit. All told, the gun doesn't seem to be too touchy about the quality of paintballs. My next upgrade is going to be to another J&J ceramic barrel, closely followed by a 90 degree, or Z trigger frame. I hope to save some wrist strain with a new trigger frame.

90^ Frame

Z Frame by Zenitram

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Faxman
    Obviously you know I like the 90 degree frame...

You can get the same basic effect with your 45 frame if you just rest your thumb on the back side of the grip and bend your wrist outwards a bit. (In other words, don't palm the grip.)
    The sun has fallen down

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar
    My wrist thanks you for the tip!

Thanks for the link to the forums at pbreview, I completely missed it DOH! I spent some time reading lastnight and I see that blowback = recoil which is my enemy when it comes to accuracy and consistancy.I don't think there is much I can do to get around that with this type of marker.

I started reading about doing some trigger mods, I lowered the sear pin and limited the pull and forward throw in hopes that this will allow for less movement of the marker itself from pulling the trigger. It was late last night when I was doing these things and couldn't put the tank on and test it out

Squidly, does your gun have a bolt ? how is it that the high end guns have little to no recoil ? I have read alittle bit about electro pnuematics but didn't get much technical info yet.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Yes my gun has a bolt... light, small, delrin.

The lack of recoil is also due in part to the highly efficient use of low pressure air. (< 500 psi)
    The sun has fallen down

Squidly as our resident pb expert Is it your oppinion is it worth trying to better this gun or move directly to a tournement lvl gun. I would imagine that even a low level tourny gun will be better than a heavily modified spyder blowback gun.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

If you like the game and have caught the "speedball bug" you'd be better served by saving your money and changing guns than upgrading the Spyder.

It's enough good gun at what it does, but you're not going to be able to slap enough parts onto it to change it into a tourney gun.

There are plenty of midrange options (BKOs, cockers, Impulses, etc...) that you'd probably be happy with. I'd just advise you that once you're ready and convinced that you've "gotta have it", go for the best gun you can afford.

Nobody's ever been upset by having too nice of a gun.
    The sun has fallen down

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Squidly
    There are plenty of midrange options (BKOs, cockers, Impulses, etc...)
    Heheheheheh... you said "cocker".

[AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

I will most likely play the rest of this summer with this gun and then over the winter save up for next season, that way I can take lots of time to read up on which one I should get. Now that was the rational me, the real me will probably be buying a new one in a couple weeks