Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AvP

ColorThumbsUp AvP

Well, I'm a bit surprised no one else has posted their thoughts on this movie yet, so I guess it's up to me.

First a little explanation of my expectations for this movie and the entire Alien Series which has just been pathetic. I started off the series by seeing Aliens (which would be Alien 2 for you newbies) and it was and still is an awesome movie. Some of the best quotes ("Game over, man. Game over"), great weapons and characters and overall a great movie. I then went back and caught Alien. I was a bit disappointed... expecting more marines and more aliens, but overall it was a good, yet different kind of Alien movie. More fright than fight.

Then came a graphic novel from Dark Horse. In it, they continued the Aliens saga with Hicks and Newt on earth; fighting the corporation and taking the fight to the Alien's home planet where they team up with the huge alien guy that you see in the space ship in Alien (1) and kick alien ass. A great story and I was hoping that that was where the series was headed. But no. Instead they decided to screw up the whole deal with Alien3. The director introduced that stupid first person alien cam and killed off Ripley. What a dunce. The movie sucked.

And lastly was Alien4: Resurrection. ARG. Ripley was brought back from the dead and teams up with a whiney Winona Rider to fight an albino alien with child-like charm. Crap. Pure Crap. But hey, at least it wasn't Alien3 and it did bring us more Alien.

Jump tracks to Predator. Again, a fantastic movie. 6 guys mowing down a forest with automatic weapons = awesome. Of course with a great movie what else can you follow it up with but a POS like Predator 2. Although the small hint of AvP was shown at the end of the flick, let's face it.... Danny Glover is no action hero. He should have stuck to his retiring cop bit.

So, finally comes the ultimate team up, Alien vs. Predator. So you see my problem. The originals were great and the sequels sucks (sans Aliens) so my hopes and dreams for AVP were low. But I had to see it, I had no choice. I'm a guy, right?

At the end of the day, it was a good movie and I was surprised. The inexperience of the actors shows during a couple of scenes as the delivery of their lines is poor. But the movie covers it up nicely by not hiding the Aliens or the Predators. You get to see them battle it up quite nicely. And while some of the back story was a little laughable, overall I gave it 3.5 out of 5. Definitely a matinee but you need to see it on a big screen. And I'll see it again when it hits cable.

"I sharded Thunderfury!" [AK]Camelwalk's Avatar
    I will give it a shot

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

I'm looking forward to seeing this, but anymore, if I think there's a chance a movie is going to be popular with kids (by which I mean anyone under the age of about 50) or other "lowest common denominator of society" types, I usually wait for the DVD. My last several trips to the movie theater have been ruined by obnoxious idiots, no matter what theater I went to.

August Knights
    The old Man in the War [AK]Rocks's Avatar

I haven;t gone to see it yet, but its on the list. Looks like tonight is the night for me to see it.. So shoot you later gang!

I saw it at the drive-in.. awesome movie, awesome setting..
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar
    I figgure this will be one for a DvD or On Demand (cable) choice for me.

The Writer/Director, Paul WS Anderson, directed some movies that just blew chunks for me. Event Horrizon? What was that piece of junk? And he usualy touts that as one of his best. Mortal Kombat? Some OK fight scenes, was great on video but glad I did not see it in the theatre. Resident Evil? I saw that for free on cable and still felt ripped off (would have been better with nudity). Soldier was OK in a crappy movie sense to me, but I like a lot of crappy movies, so that one I let slide... of course it was so unremarkable that I barely remember any of it.

His story of Aliens vs. Predator, from what I have read of it, just did not thrill me. I was hoping for too much when I heard this movie was in production and was thinking of the AvP books and games and such... no space marines? What a dissapointment.

Like I said, it is at best a rental to me.
    City of Villains, the Justice server.

Electrosmasher, level 36 Electric Melee/Electric Armor Brute
    Atomstrike, Level 35 Radiation corruptor
    Crimson Razor, Level 35 Ninja blade/Ninja Reflexes Stalker
    Devia, level 26 Psionic/Psychic Blast Dominator

"Would you use your powers for Good or for Awsome?" - Strong Bad

[AK]Widowmaker

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

I always confuse Paul WS Anderson with Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love). I liked Soldier and Event Horizon, didn't like Mortal Kombat (from what I saw of it; I've seen parts while flipping around stations like TBS and TNT), and thought RE was OK for what it was (suffice to say I borrowed it from a friend, so cost was a nonfactor). I've always been a bigger fan of Predator than of the Alien series, but will be curious to see AvP anyway.

August Knights

Ok, I just returned from see AvP and I thought it was done every well. The new comers actors did a great job of semi-recreating the first Alien Movie. Also the effects were good and the Sci-Fi story line I thought was very much in taste. This will be a must for my DVD collection...

I personally didn't care for this movie, I thought it was very predictable, I had no personal attachment with any of the characters, and felt that so much more could have been done with the whole aliens taking on predators concept. Throw the movie way into the future, have some high tech Marines (like widow suggested), with all kinds of neat gadgets, and then you have a something of interest.
    pix

I actually liked it. They did a good job incorporating bits and pieces of both movies/stories which made finding the little hints fun...

Of course they had to have the dominating woman at the end which I always thought was cheesy with alien. lol.. Just remember this movie is in the present time (hence no teched out marines) where Alien was in the future and you’ll pick up allot of story lines that were incorporated in the original movies..

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]The Beast
    I always confuse Paul WS Anderson with Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love).
    I think it would have been even better if Paul Thomas Anderson would have done AVP then Roller Girl could have made a guest appearance and at the end we so much of a 'man' the predator is.

Steak

This movie was pretty action-packed and it was very enjoyable. You know what's really funny, though?

*SPOILER BELOW*

Remember that scene where the predator and the chick team up and all of a sudden run off together down the hall? Instead of silence, all I heard was laughter amongst the audience.
    My reaction: "Whaaaat the f***ck?"

I find that the fact that it was PG-13 introduced too many kiddies into the theater. While an R rating is no guarantee that the kids won't go at least it reduces their numbers. On a similar note, when I saw CastAway in the theater, folks were laughing we he saw the whale, and when he cried over loosing Wilson. Folks just suck.

I laughed evily throughout all of the new Exorcist... does that make me bad?
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

August Knights

laughed evily throughout all of the new Exorcist... does that make me bad?
    No just young.. Which makes me laugh... LOL